Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Question: Right-hand drive cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:23 AM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question: Right-hand drive cars

Left foot on the accelerator pedal? I left foot brake, when I'm really going for it, and heel-n-toe occasionally, but left foot on the gas? My left foot is used to an extremely heavy clutch, I'd probably put the gas pedal straight through the floor if I hit it with the left!
Yeah I'm talking about when you're cruising along on an endless highway at 110km/h for hours and hours.
Plenty of that kinda stuff here in Australia.

the idea of me driving a left hand car would be mind boggling
It's not that hard to get used to, trust me.

its like sitting in the passenger side with a steering wheel
When I did my driver training in Sweden the driving school cars had dual controls.
There were pedals on the passenger side as well so that the instructor could put the brakes on if needed.
During one of the lessons he controlled the pedals from the passenger side and I just steered as we drove through town.
That was weird!!!
[&:][X(]

We also had to do a skid lesson (Or whatever you'd call it) where they have this huge frame mounted around/under the car with huge swivelling wheels on it, and controls inside to raise the car off the ground a bit,reducing the grip to simulate different road conditions like wet tarmac, gravel, snow or ice.
We had to drive down the runway at the local disused airport and do evasive manouvres at different speeds and also drive straight ahead and slam the brakes.
It was a good excersise and lots of fun burning rubber.
At the end the guy asked if we wanted to do some handbrake turns and donuts.

Guess what the answer was to that question.....[>:]

Old 06-22-2009, 04:37 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

lol the question is answerd in the second post . im in australia and the idea of me driving a left hand car would be mind boggling lol its like sitting in the passenger side with a steering wheel , most definatley feel so strange when turning lol especially when going fast
Like DVP says, it's not that hard to get used to. Even though I learnt with RHD, I think I now prefer LHD, honestly. Don't knock it til you've tried it.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:08 PM
lee172

ORIGINAL: mich308

The indicator position isn't always the same as LHD's. LHD's have the indicator stalk on the left, no matter what country you're in. RHD's generally have the indicator stalk on the right, except in the UK where it is on the left. Other differences between the two include headlight aim, RHD's generally dip left, and LHD's dip right, but that of course can be changed. Not all countries that drive on the right use only LHD's, for example east Russia and Burma are mainly RHD's, as well there are a fair amount of RHD's in Canada, North Korea, Mongolia, as well as some others. In many parts of the Carribean the opposite is true.
i may be splitting hairs here, but that isnt true, my dads car has the indicator stalk on the right.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:24 PM
dsales

My cars and my parents ones have the indicator stalk on the left.

Oh the confusion. Why can't something be universal for once.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:00 PM
MadManAndrew

So, this is the nagging question that keeps you up at night...Hmm.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Savage_Dias

I'd like to try a right hand drive car sometime but I would want it to be an automatic. I like taking things one step at a time & not having 2nd gear close to my hip would be strange. My dad bought a new Ram & it has this shifter. It seems wrong in many ways especially when you take into account the upgrades. I think trucks should be for utility, not for comfort. There's nothing wrong with comfort but it just doesn't feel natural to me.