Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

#76 SuperModified Racing Team...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 10:46 PM
Platinum_Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #76 SuperModified Racing Team...

Well guys, some of you may know that we are a part of a racing team that operates a SuperModified racecar... but if you don't now you do.

First off, you may or may not know what a SuperModified really is...
It's a big block racing machine...

Ours has 810 HP from a Chevy 454BB bored over to 468 (Regulation size) with mechanical fuel injection (Regulated induction). The tranny is... well... non-existant. It has one speed, so there's no clutch. You engage the rear axle and get a push truck to spin the tires... that's how you start the engine. They are left turn racing machines, and they are the FASTEST short track cars in the world... if you put a Nextel Cup stock car on the same short track as one of these things it would get pwned. The owner of the car is my cousin, and the driver is my cousin's son... and we (Myself and a co-worker) are the pit-crew. My cousins used to race about 10 years ago, but now they've got this car and are getting back into it.

Saturday was our first time driving the new car... and we still didn't know how the overhauled big block Chevy motor would run. It was relatively new, and only driven once on that car before we got it... but it was torn apart between seasons. Regardless, it's still a $30,000 motor.

We got there at 10:00 AM and left after the feature race at about 11:00 PM. We were at the Waterford Speedbowl... Wardo used to go there with his SK modified, or his Featherweight modified... whatever the Hell he had... Either way it was a 350 Chevy I think.

We were in the middle of the feature when the first place car came around to try and lap our car. He was desperatly trying to get past us because he was being chased by #11, the Rowley Rocket..... (Who would've thought that in a town of 8,500 there would be members from 2 different ISMA racing teams?).

We got hosed... nipped and put into a backwards spin into the wall...

The wreck broke one guys wrist, put us and another team out of the race, and heavily damaged Chris Perley's #11 car. We had to rip the rear wing off the car, rip the front shock off, tear half the body off, and jerry-rig half the front axle back together just to load it into the truck to go home. The rear bumper and wing are toasted, the left header is gone, the left nerfbar is destroyed along with the entire radiator shroud, the front axle is bent beyond repair, and our brand new shock blew out a rod end.

Abour 15 laps before that, #75 (The 2nd team car... not the one we work on) lost a shock and spun on the last lap of a caution. All in all it was a pretty rough race, but we did get a lot of practice time in, and we'll still be ready for the next race in about a month or so... so no worried.

Here is a pic of the car as the crash was playing out......

The description of the incident on www.ISMASupers.com is wrong... Brent did not cause the accident... we have 4 witnesses who were involved in the accident to confirm that the #88 car tried to pass our car in the dirt before sliding up into our car... so it wasn't our fault at all.

Well... I just wanted to get that out there, and share what we did on Saturday... It was a lot of fun and we'll get the car running agian sometime soon. I might even be able to get some on-board camera shots if we get a chance to tie my DVD camera to the car... but we'll have to wait and see for sure.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:11 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: #76 SuperModified Racing Team...

That looks like a blast. Tough luck with that crash. It's too bad fast drivers can make the worst mistakes and cost others a lot of money.

A buddy of mine races B-Mod dirt oval and I occasionally pit for him whenever I can. That car is fun to drive but that rig is just insane. I couldn't imagine hanging on in the corners with a wing of that size on the roof.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Platinum_Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: #76 SuperModified Racing Team...

There were some questions about the way the air shocks work for the wing... so I posted these pics to clear it all up. When the car turns and the driver is off the throttle the wing is angled to provide more downforce. When the driver gets on the gas for the straights the wing straightens out and goes flat to reduce drag and resistance. The wing is connnected to the rear axle with asjustable air shocks to allow the articulation to happen.

If you look at that center car... he's full bore with the wing almost horizontal... Oswego needs a bit more downforce than other tracks so they leave the air shocks a bit loose.

That car is just slightly on the gas, with the wing starting to rear back to create more downforce. The air shock is connected to the rear axle so that when the car squats under acceleration the wing articulates and flattens out...

And I figured I would throw this pic in there because it shows off the differences between each teams chassis. Chassis are bought then modified heavily depending on each teams ability to reproduce tight fitting parts in house.

And here's our car last year before we got it... It's a bit hard to tell if it's #45 or #75 isn't it?

Another shot of the car last year before the previous team blew the engine out of it during qualifying.... They revved it up in the straigaway and broke a wristpin. Next time the conrod came around it went through the side of the block and broke off it's bolts, sending it halfway through the oilpan... thanks Lou!