Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Found something cool in the garbage...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 04:01 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found something cool in the garbage...

I know some of you will get a good laugh out of this but hey free is free...

Anyways, driving to Target and I spotted a bass guitar neck sticking up out of somones trash can, made the block and drove back by to get better look, then decided to make the block again and snag it. Turned out to be a whole Squire P-bass in fair condition.

I don't know why they were throwing it away but it's mine now [&:]

It is, however, going to require a lot of work. It rained this morning which caused some damage to the neck (it's going to need replaced, can get one for $80 or so), the bridge is missing (another $30 or so), and I'm going to repaint the body ($40 or so).

They only sell for $180 brand new so I don't even know why I'm going to mess with fixing it but I guess it'll be my project for the next month or two.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:24 PM
dracohowe

Default RE: Found something cool in the garbage...

cool. i got a kick azzz squire strat guitar. it is painted aztec gold. it's limited edition too
Old 06-19-2006, 08:21 AM
gerwen

Garbage picker

Old 06-19-2006, 09:18 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: gerwen

Garbage picker

LOL

Around here it's actually pretty common to look out and see somone poking around at your garbage or taking something so I didn't feel too bad about it.

Anyways, I began work on my "garbage can treasure" yesterday, already got the body nearly completely stripped so I should have it ready for paint by the weekend (just need to sand it down and put on a new coat of sealer). I just hope it doesn't turn into a 2 month ordeal like the Strat I re-finished a while back .
Old 06-20-2006, 06:38 AM
gerwen

One man's trash...

I've found some treasures myself. It's Better than something useful to someone else taking up space in a landfill.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:40 PM
PillowPants

Squire? Why not a real Fender?!
Old 06-20-2006, 04:16 PM
R/C fan-addict

hey americans throw out way too much stuff anyway! 70% of the trash in landfills could be recycled it's just people are too lazy!
Old 06-20-2006, 08:56 PM
PillowPants

I recycle!
Old 06-20-2006, 09:43 PM
R/C fan-addict

same here I recycle and compost! I love how in europe the bottle return refund is like a euro for a glass bottle cause for a euro people will bring back the bottle and for 5 cents most people just don't give a crap. The problem is that the drink companies don't want to have the refund cost sooo high since then people wouldn't want to buy the drink since the intial cost will be very high so they can convince the government to keep the refund low. Heck in europe they have bottle return machines everywhere! At every vending machine is a return machine!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:54 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Dumpster Diving and junk picking is almost a sport here. When we have trash pick-up days there are trucks cruising the streets looking for treasures. Scrap metal is the big thing. I've had people back up in my driveway loading the stuff up themselves to save me the trip to the street and to make sure that they got it.
I usually don't do it much myself but my son and I would pick up old bikes and fix them up for poor neighborhood kids. The best score that I got was a gas powered snowblower with an electric starter that ran great. The rubber paddles were a little worn but did my sidewalks and driveway good enough for me!
Cruise the rich areas and that's where you really find the good stuff!
Old 06-21-2006, 04:26 PM
monstermaker13

found a 1957 telestar holowbody guitar at a flea market for 10.00$
Old 06-21-2006, 06:16 PM
CadillacDTS2001

i found a nitro airplane in a garbage across the street form me , and i didn't even new that he flew !

the engine was shot , the radio was damaged , looks like it was melted , but i scavenged the radio antenna ( telescoping) and 4 servos ( digital) and also a receiver , but it had like 4 foot rage !( any one know how to fix that ?)
also i picked up lots of balsa wood from the plane , connectors , almost new nitro line , and quite a bit more

oh oh and i got a F1 car on garage sale day for 10 bucks , it had a carbonfider chassie and all , like new tires , servo 12 turn quad motor , it was a good deal