Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Car Stereo Boom Box project

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 02:26 PM
RCtruckRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Stereo Boom Box project

Tracks are LOUD. I want some killer tunes in my pit area so I've decided to make a portable stereo out of a car stereo. The deck is going to be mounted in a tool box. I already have the head unit, and had some component speakers mounted in boxes that I can attach to the tool box. I also have a 140 amp hour deep cycle battery to put in the tool box. I'm thinking of mounting banana jacks on the tool box so that I can use my 25 amp regulated power supply to power everything when I don't want to use the battery. I have an 25 amp lighted automotive switch should I want to make sure there is no drain on the battery during storage. I also have a telescoping antenna I got from JC Whitney.

My question to anyone out there is, does anyone know of a good AC to DC converter that I could mount inside the tool box so that I can just plug this into an outlet and not use the power supply that runs my charger/discharger? I found quite a few that were rated around 6 amps or below, but I would think something more around the 20 amp mark would be better. I would also like to put in a digital voltmeter so I can monitor the battery when I am using that. What should I use for that? Keep in mind I want to mount it on the tool box. Anyone got any ideas or tips?

For anyone curious about this, the head unit is 20 watts per channel RMS, 50 watts peak. I figure that even at full volume it shouldn't consume more than 80-100 watts. So the battery should last at least 14 hours before needing to be recharged. Obviously much more at lower volumes. Considering how loud this thing is at half volume, it might last a whole weekend camping at the lake!
Old 04-21-2007, 08:09 PM
RC freak

Default RE: Car Stereo Boom Box project

just put in some big speakers at some 1600v amps.may i suggest JL audio?
Old 04-21-2007, 08:28 PM
trevorw15

i had made one for my quad but took it off because theres no need really
Old 04-22-2007, 02:23 AM
REVO_RACER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Ipod FTW

Just buy an Ipod covers up 90% of the sound and other people might not want to hear the music you have.(no offense)
Old 04-22-2007, 07:44 PM
smaxx3.3

ORIGINAL: REVO_RACER

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Ipod FTW

Just buy an Ipod covers up 90% of the sound and other people might not want to hear the music you have.(no offense)
i was thinking the same thing, i would get pissed after hearing some kinda music i don't like. good susgestion revo racer
Old 04-23-2007, 09:21 AM
RCtruckRacer

OK... First, none of you race at my track so why assume something that isn't true? I have some crappy self powered speakers that I hook up to my pod when I was at the track previously. All anyone ever said is turn it up - being as how it doesn't get very loud.
Second, towards the end of the season I have my portable tv hooked up and the football games on. Again, everyone wants the volume turned up so they can hear the games too.
Third, when playing music everyone is involved and everyone gets to hear something they like. [8D]

Lastly, I am not going to be some anti-social turd with headphones on for 12 hours. Obviously none of you have been to a race before: Its as much about hanging out with friends as it is racing trucks on the track.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:07 AM
nbk

ORIGINAL: RCtruckRacer

OK... First, none of you race at my track so why assume something that isn't true? I have some crappy self powered speakers that I hook up to my pod when I was at the track previously. All anyone ever said is turn it up - being as how it doesn't get very loud.
Second, towards the end of the season I have my portable tv hooked up and the football games on. Again, everyone wants the volume turned up so they can hear the games too.
Third, when playing music everyone is involved and everyone gets to hear something they like. [8D]

Lastly, I am not going to be some anti-social turd with headphones on for 12 hours. Obviously none of you have been to a race before: Its as much about hanging out with friends as it is racing trucks on the track.
lastly?ahaha
i agree with you,but you may encounter some people that want it off.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Alteramod

Sounds like a good idea to me.... yeah there may be a couple people who would hate it but at the same time alot of em may enjoy it. I think they would allow you to just as long as it wasnt being abusive if you know what I mean. Like maybe during practice or something you could turn it on but when the races start or something then it should be off idk cause like you said I dont race there lol. I do agree that hanging out is just as important. One reason why I got out of the competitive spirit because my local indoor track I had trouble getting along with some of the people and the rules that came out. I didnt get into arguements but just rather quite going.

If I can get a hold of one of my friends he should be able to help you out alot. He is into audio systems big time. To him audio systems is like r/c to me lol. I havent heard from him in a long time though so idk if I will be able to get him to help ya out with suggestions.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:37 PM

my dad used to make these for truckers wen they would have to go from truck to truck..
Old 05-18-2007, 06:56 PM
The_Lost_Otter

Good idea use some KICKER audio
Old 05-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Wisconsin Nitro

i just bring my iPod Boom Box and crank it
Old 05-19-2007, 01:37 PM
DarkFire989