Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

91 Honda crx build or what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:07 PM
VIPER458

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 91 Honda crx build or what?

uhh what about the guts inside the block? like pistons valves bearings cams crank con rods ect.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:11 PM
The Hedgehog

Sorry quad, this is one of those dreams that teenagers have (no offense) that never seem to happen.

I would bet a lot of money this never happens, a 400 or so dollar CRX is bound to have more problems than is worth. How is the entire suspension? Tie-rods? Ball joints? electrical system? I had an 89 civic I am just listing parts that most likely need care.

So I will throw it out there, anyone wanna take me up on this bet?
Old 02-05-2008, 02:11 PM
quadzilla122

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

ORIGINAL: quadzilla122
By this i meant i wont put a turbo on the stock motor the motor that i will buy will have a turbo(sorry if i confused you guys) but the motor im going to buy is going to have one. Once again im not keeping the stock motor because several signs of corrosion and the valves are extremely bad(the motor on ebay is $450 and the valves brand new by them selves are about $300+oem)thats is not including all the rest of the corroded parts like the tranny is really rough. I had to change about 3 fuses.
Hmm not sure about this thread Quadzilla..!?
Anyhoo..When you say the original motor is corroded and the valves are 'bad', what exactly do you mean? The block and head is alloy so i presume your referring to the internals....has it not been ran for some time??? Oh and you say "corroded parts like the tranny is really rough", what the gears or synchro rings or selector shafts or bearings??
What engine are you thinking of 'dropping' in there? Are you converting to rear drive? I see you mention a six speed box, you know you can't just fit any old box on any old engine?
Also i hope you understand that fitting a non-standard engine into any car is a major task involving modification and fabrication of parts/electrics...it's not simple! Not forgetting all the other alterations you'll need to make if your increasing the power by well over 100%![&:]
By corrodes parts i mean the sleeve is not making good compression from the.Yes the tranny is very rough. Aslo yes the car has been sitting around for about 1 year. The frame, fenders,hood, trunk,doors, etc show no sign of surface rust so im going to keep all of that(anything not related to electricals and the motor)
Old 02-05-2008, 02:30 PM
VIPER458

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Sorry quad, this is one of those dreams that teenagers have (no offense) that never seem to happen.
well thats not always true. im 19 and my 87 mustang will be running in a few weeks. but i got people helpin me. there would be no way for me to do it on my own.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:45 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: VIPER458

well thats not always true. im 19 and my 87 mustang will be running in a few weeks. but i got people helpin me. there would be no way for me to do it on my own.

Sure there are unique cases, but having this CRX at 300 hp would be the equivalent of having the mustand up around 650 horsepower. And just doing it with his rich buddy, catch my drift? Also, quad doesn't have his liscense yet, so there is a big difference between you and him.

I mean I have a plan to build a drag car in the spring, but I wouldn't post about it until it was actually underway and not just a thought in my head.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:50 PM
VIPER458

ORIGINAL: VIPER458

Sure there are unique cases, but having this CRX at 300 hp would be the equivalent of having the mustand up around 650 horsepower. And just doing it with his rich buddy, catch my drift? Also, quad doesn't have his liscense yet, so there is a big difference between you and him.

I mean I have a plan to build a drag car in the spring, but I wouldn't post about it until it was actually underway and not just a thought in my head.
yeah i get where ure comin from. granted i do believe 300hp is going to be very expensive turbo or no turbo but hey. i can remember awile ago i wanted to build a 400hp turbo scion tc.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Anthoop

By corrodes parts i mean the sleeve is not making good compression from the.Yes the tranny is very rough. Aslo yes the car has been sitting around for about 1 year. The frame, fenders,hood, trunk,doors, etc show no sign of surface rust so im going to keep all of that(anything not related to electricals and the motor)
Have you tested the compression (with a compression tester) or can you actually see that the bores are badly corroded...slight corrosion can be cleaned by honing the bore!
Is the tranny difficult to shift (maybe something simple like linkage bushes) or does it crunch when shifting....up or down...all gears or specific?
Again you do understand what's involved in transplanting a non-standard engine into a car right?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:56 PM
quadzilla122

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

Have you tested the compression (with a compression tester) or can you actually see that the bores are badly corroded...slight corrosion can be cleaned by honing the bore!
Is the tranny difficult to shift (maybe something simple like linkage bushes) or does it crunch when shifting....up or down...all gears or specific?
Again you do understand what's involved in transplanting a non-standard a car right?
The stock compression ratio is 9.6:1 and we tested it at a shocking 6.8:1[:@]ouch! I still have not found out the problem with the tranny looking forward to finding out. From the looks of it it looks like this motor was blown because regular driving will not do that to the engine. When he bought the the car the sales man only told him it did not run and my friend already had the idea that he was going to change the motor.
AutoXman im not rich and neither is he,me and him just rather alot of other hobbies over others. As you can see i have some pretty cheap rcs and about 4 out of like 8 are running. He has saved his money for a while now and as far as my family goes ussualy a persons first car usually ranges from 3k to 10k depending on person. I think having about 3k or 4k in this car it would probably be cooler than most 20k cars and less expensive.

Anthloop, Yes i do know whats involved in putting a non OEM engine into this car.

I just wish you guys would stop putting me down in the dumps about making this car look good again. []
Old 02-05-2008, 07:32 PM
quadzilla122

I got the pictures from yesterday because i havent had time today because of history test and a project. The motor is out already but il post pics later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56403.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	870982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68095.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	870983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93027.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	870984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn33024.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	870985  
Old 02-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Anthoop

The stock compression ratio is 9.6:1 and we tested it at a shocking 6.8:1[:@]ouch!
You realise that when you use a compression tester the reading is either in Psi or Bar.
Anthoop, Yes i do know whats involved in putting a non OEM engine into this car.
Ok,good luck...I look forward to seeing your project unfold.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:28 PM
The Hedgehog

Don't forget Naws and huge rims!

Just kidding, if you manage to finish it up props to you.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 PM
quadzilla122

Almost forgot that the car came with rims and tires that more than $300. Hankook ventus v-threads on what i think is konig or proline rims. There is no hubcap on them so im just taking wild guesses based on there design.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:43 PM
drag racer

^those rims dont have hubcaps
i read an article about a civic built by full-race that had over 800hp-> http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...vic/index.html
good luck with this project, but im kinda thinking your gonna run into trouble when putting in your 'race motor'
Old 02-06-2008, 05:11 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What motor is it? Is is a 4-banger or a 6 cylinder?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:11 PM
hands without shadows

4 banger, look at the pics.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:22 PM
[email protected]

ok I just would like to say good luck with your honda. Now this is what I'll tell you as a friend on the site, don't wast you time building that car or the money you need to make 300hp engine. I can go to a junk yard get an old Lincoln with a 460 clean it up add intake cam and carb drop it in a fairmount and beat the crap out of that honda in the 1/4 mile. That is what I did at 18. The car ran 12 seconds on some very cheap handed down slicks. I did all this for a $1000 in 1991. I would look for a fox body mustang and do a 302 up. 300 hp is very easy for a 302 with no juice,add some NOS and 400 is around the corner. the trans and rear can take the power with no problem . The honda can't trans, axle's, motor mounts, even the body can't. most guys at the races that have honda's all done have put some very mad money into them like more then what the car is worth new. Also if you can find a 1986 buick regal T-type for like $8,000 put $5000 into it and you will have a 10 second every day driver.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:37 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

ok I just would like to say good luck with your honda. Now this is what I'll tell you as a friend on the site, don't wast you time building that car or the money you need to make 300hp engine. I can go to a junk yard get an old Lincoln with a 460 clean it up add intake cam and carb drop it in a fairmount and beat the crap out of that honda in the 1/4 mile. That is what I did at 18. The car ran 12 seconds on some very cheap handed down slicks. I did all this for a $1000 in 1991. I would look for a fox body mustang and do a 302 up. 300 hp is very easy for a 302 with no juice,add some NOS and 400 is around the corner. the trans and rear can take the power with no problem . The honda can't trans, axle's, motor mounts, even the body can't. most guys at the races that have honda's all done have put some very mad money into them like more then what the car is worth new. Also if you can find a 1986 buick regal T-type for like $8,000 put $5000 into it and you will have a 10 second every day driver.
I am a fan of the Lincoln Mark VII, DOHC 4.6 V8 gotta love it.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:02 PM
annie_himself

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

Not the stocker, the new motor that he wants to "drop-in."
Old 02-06-2008, 10:05 PM
quadzilla122

Big cars arent my style i like little hatchbacks and coupes.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:14 PM
-EXTRA-

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

dont be so quick to underestimate a CRX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvWptaq1x7E
Old 02-06-2008, 10:18 PM
annie_himself

He didn't underestimate them. He just said thats its easier to start off with a better platform, and its true. Its easier to reach 300HP on a V6 or V8 than a 4-banger.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:42 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: annie_himself

My bad [sm=red_smile.gif]
Old 02-06-2008, 10:44 PM
annie_himself

ORIGINAL: annie_himself

My bad [sm=red_smile.gif]
Yea, I know a lil 4-cyl when I see one. Its a bit larger than the motor's I've had in my RC's in the past.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:30 AM
VIPER458

Big cars arent my style i like little hatchbacks and coupes.
uhh you can get the foxbody mustangs as hatchbacks OR coupes. and they r pretty small 2.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Coadster67

Another fart cannon...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.