Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

HighSchool Drop-Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:49 AM
DaveThePainter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HighSchool Drop-Out

HighSchool Drop-Out

Is anyone here a drop out.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:01 AM
qaiz

Default RE: HighSchool Drop-Out

Nope, not on my side.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I am. Dropped out of school aged 15 with no qualifications. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone though, I have faced multiple challenges in my career surrounding the fact I do not possess a bachelor's degree, but I'm happy. I'm a senior IT consultant in a global company and doing very well. I should be up for promotion next year, which will make it three promotions in three years. Not bad for a 'drop out'.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:04 AM
DaveThePainter

Honestly ive really been thinking about dropping out.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:05 AM
qaiz

Congrats Foxy.

The people who have a bachelor's degree probably dont get 3 promotions in 3 years.!

Im heading into the Avation industry. There arent many promotions there [&o]
Old 02-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Anomie

I am also a dropout, in the middle of junior year. I went back ten years later and attended night school to receive my diploma.

Also no degree here, and it hits home at times with my job. It's tough not to imagine the possibilities that could have arisen, but for some it's just not in the cards.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:09 AM
qaiz

Personal recommendation. Atleast finish high school.

That would be your starting plate, after that, go out and get certified for whatever job field you are intested in (Construction, Engineering, etcc..)

Im not a fan of school either, and another 8 years ahead of it, with no garuntees. Cant say it hasn't crossed my mind.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Foxy

Don't do it if you have the choice. I was lucky, it worked out for me, but I had a profession from the age of 12. If you are unskilled, AND unqualified, you are destined for mediocrity your entire life, unless you are very lucky.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 AM
DaveThePainter

ORIGINAL: foxy42

Don't do it if you have the choice. I was lucky, it worked out for me, but I had a profession from the age of 12. If you are unskilled, AND unqualified, you are destined for mediocrity your entire life, unless you are very lucky.
Hmmm,Still havnt decided.

I have grew up around building cars and i build/rebuild car motors and have been in the car business stuff with my dad since i was around 12.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Anomie

I agree with Foxy. It may be tedious and no fun at this point, but afterward the benefits will outweigh that. The older folks ([:'(]) will always say that it flies by.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Lunchboxer

I don't think you need to have a degree to be successful.. HOWEVER.. having a certain level of education can "guarantee" (in a way) that you will have a certain level of living standard.. (almost..)

What I meant to say is, you can be a Bill Gates, Larry Ellisson, Michael Dell, etc. (all college drop outs)

But if you got a degree from a good college, you know you are pretty much guarantee to receive a certain level of salary.. not gonna make you super rich, but you know you will be okay..
Old 02-13-2008, 11:33 AM
qaiz

Its a very personal decision. I personally would not feel comfortable without atleast a high school diploma in my hand.

Then again, what im aiming to be has no garuentees either, either a yes or no. As simple as that [&o]
Old 02-13-2008, 11:47 AM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

boy I'm in the same boat you are.... but i think instead of dropping out u can still go for a GED its pretty much the same thing form what Ive herd as a high school diploma and u can still go to college or a trade school and get certified.

but the fact with the GED is you have ot think about it as do you feel any less of a person for getting a GED instead of pushing thru it and getting a hs diploma.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:49 AM
NitroBobby

dude. don't drop out. i'm sure it seems like the best thing right now, but you can't look at it objectively when you are so close to the situation.

dropping out is the easy part. living afterwards is the really hard part. whatever troubles you think are insurmountable now will pale in comparison to actual life.

your life right now, believe it or not, is easy. no significant rent payment, no cable bill, no telephone bill, no internet bill, no heating costs no electricity bills, no food bills. that's just the obvious stuff. how do you make enough money to support yourself without even the lowest acceptable level of education certification? i know i don't know your situation but with very few exceptions, dropping out is the worst thing you can do to your life. you will be a teenager with no documented experience and no diploma. you at least need a GED or diploma to take advantage of any further educational opportunities. most accredited training facilities or schools will need you to prove that you aren't wasting their time and your money. the only way to show that you are capable of completing a training course is by having a GED or diploma to say "i can do it". you may think that it's ridiculous or stupid but employers/schools/training facilities have no other means by which to gage your abilities. dropping out only shows that you know how to quit.

i'm trying not to sound like i'm preeching, but it's hard. the statistics speak for themselves. people who drop out have significantly lower odds of achieving any kind of success in life. not just financially, but emotionally and psychologically as well. i know that there are exceptions. obviously we have one here on the forum. he's lucky. he'll admit it. bill gates is another exception, also lucky. but in both cases i'd be willing to bet that the person has a ridiculous work ethic. you need to work 2 or 3 times longer and harder to make up for the lack of education. if that is what you want to do for the next 20 years, working like a friggin dog all day to make ends meet and then have to prove yourself time and time again just because you don't feel like going to school for a few hours each day, well it's up to you. but once you make that choice, you gotta live with it and accept the consequences.

just think about it. weigh ALL of the facts and don't let your emotions make this decision for you. good luck.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:51 AM
DaveThePainter

Well i have been thinking,Everybody i have asked has said "Dont do it" and some other friends i was going to ask i am not going to ask because same response"Dont do it"

But idk we will see what all happens.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:54 AM
DaveThePainter

ORIGINAL: NitroBobby

dude. don't drop out. i'm sure it seems like the best thing right now, but you can't look at it objectively when you are so close to the situation.

dropping out is the easy part. living afterwards is the really hard part. whatever troubles you think are insurmountable now will pale in comparison to actual life.

your life right now, believe it or not, is easy. no significant rent payment, no cable bill, no telephone bill, no internet bill, no heating costs no electricity bills, no food bills. that's just the obvious stuff. how do you make enough money to support yourself without even the lowest acceptable level of education certification? i know i don't know your situation but with very few exceptions, dropping out is the worst thing you can do to your life. you will be a teenager with no documented experience and no diploma. you at least need a GED or diploma to take advantage of any further educational opportunities. most accredited training facilities or schools will need you to prove that you aren't wasting their time and your money. the only way to show that you are capable of completing a training course is by having a GED or diploma to say "i can do it". you may think that it's ridiculous or stupid but employers/schools/training facilities have no other means by which to gage your abilities. dropping out only shows that you know how to quit.

i'm trying not to sound like i'm preeching, but it's hard. the statistics speak for themselves. people who drop out have significantly lower odds of achieving any kind of success in life. not just financially, but emotionally and psychologically as well. i know that there are exceptions. obviously we have one here on the forum. he's lucky. he'll admit it. bill gates is another exception, also lucky. but in both cases i'd be willing to bet that the person has a ridiculous work ethic. you need to work 2 or 3 times longer and harder to make up for the lack of education. if that is what you want to do for the next 20 years, working like a friggin dog all day to make ends meet and then have to prove yourself time and time again just because you don't feel like going to school for a few hours each day, well it's up to you. but once you make that choice, you gotta live with it and accept the consequences.

just think about it. weigh ALL of the facts and don't let your emotions make this decision for you. good luck.

I actually do pay a some of bills just because i like to help out.
The stuff i am paying now is,Internet bills,Cell phone bill and cable bill but that is nothing compared to living on my own.
I dont know i have hated school ever since i was in 1st grade.
I might change my mind i might not but i am really going to have to think about it and my future.

Thanks to all that posted/Gave me good info.

Dave
Old 02-13-2008, 12:00 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I graduated high school as expected but have fiddled around with the college thing for few years lol. I Too have my foot in the door in a couple industries but I still want to get at least a bachelors degree at some point (sooner rather than later). I wouldnt recommend dropping out of high school, I've seen people do it and while many have gone on to be successful it does hurt your chances.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:02 PM
greasysnowball

i dropped out my senior year because i had like 9 credits (you need 22 to graduate). i worked as a rofer for about six months and busted my butt. I realised if i didnt get my Diploma i would be a roofer for prolly the rest of my life.

so im back in school and right now i have a 4.0 GPA. its very hard though because i severly hate school. i dont have the patients and all i want to do is get out there and work. i enjoy working, but not in construction or roofing.

So to all the soon to be, or wanting to "drop outs" dont do it. you really have to bust your ass to make any money get you diploma and a great career.

Michael Harkey
Old 02-13-2008, 12:19 PM
qaiz

Old 02-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Lunchboxer

I am not sure if I agree w/ the #s above..

Lowest paying job w/ a BS degree is an "investment banker"?! LOL!

That's like saying the cheapest Porsche is the cheapest car...

The average salary for someone just got out of college in US is what? $25k a yr? That might be a more representive #s..

Trust me, the "lowest paying job w/ a BS degree" isn't a $100k / yr job...

Regarding the pilot, yes.. if you flying those 777, A340, across the ocean, an experienced pilot can make $250-300k a yr.. but there's only a fairly limited #s of those seats available.. you need to move "up" to that position by flying small planes first.. getting up the hours, etc. And you don't get paid well when you are flying small planes..
Old 02-13-2008, 12:52 PM
The Hedgehog

You can be succesful no mater what your education is, but it is going to be much harder if you don't have a H.S. degree, much harder than just sucking it up for 2 years and making your way through classes. I mean the education is free (for you at least), that won't happen again.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:54 PM
qaiz

My side of the world, you get paid well doing f*** all.

Google Dubai and you'll know what im talking about

30 Hours in a Cessna already. Been flying for about 1.5 years. Havent even graduated yet...

Pays to have a dad who can fly
Old 02-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Lunchboxer

So you are saying that in Dubai, the lowest paying job you can get having a BS degree is $100k/yr...

I know what's going at Dubai.. and even that, I don't think that's the case...

Good luck w/ your pilot career!

ORIGINAL: qaiz

My side of the world, you get paid well doing f*** all.

Google Dubai and you'll know what im talking about

30 Hours in a Cessna already. Been flying for about 1.5 years. Havent even graduated yet...

Pays to have a dad who can fly
Old 02-13-2008, 01:04 PM
qaiz

You didnt get what I said.

Ah didnt read your post fully.

Will correct that.

Sorry, been up all day, close to 11 in the night, brains shut off.

Thanks.

Lowest paying job with a stupid degree here would be around AED 8000 a month give or take $2200. Calculate it to year wise I guess.

I cant be bothered to do any more numbers.

I wish cessnas had auto pilot [&:]
Old 02-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Lunchboxer

I am sure you can get auto pilot in a Cessnas.. Avionics are usually spec out separately from the airframe.. my friend's 4-seater has auto pilot! If all depends on how much $$$ you want to spend putting in the electronics.. !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.