Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Never buy a saturn ION

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:03 AM
snoking16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Never buy a saturn ION

oh...i see how i came off dissing canada...well im from seattle, i basically lived in canada half my life because i have been playing hockey for 16 years, and i do like the hemp. besided i have used your guyses free healthcare a few times...lol

vancouver and victoria are 2 of myfavorite cities in the world. i was just saying that you guys dont have any domestic cars.

and our domestic cars are pretty good cars, there are better ones. im not saying american made cars are the best or anything like that. i personally drive a audi, my dad has had fords and dodges mostly, my sister drives a toyota and my mom is a mercedes fan.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:20 AM
iamnot

all the fighting about "domestic" and "imports" makes zero sense
bought a camery lately?
they're made just down the highway from saturn
bought a honda? probably came from indiana, alabama, canada (yes, they DO have plants), or mexico
kia? they're gonna be made in georgia
mazda? oh wait, they're owned by ford...
juguire? owned by ford too..

bought a ford fusion or fiesta? they're made in germany
i could go on and on...

every car maker has their problems
it's just a fact

hpidrifter420,
sorry you're having problems
but everybody i've known has had a bad/unsafe car at some point
and they've not been just "domestic" or "imports" but both

i'm going to tell you the hard facts
not blow smoke up your butt as some others are doing

you're not gonna get out of this w/o spending or losing money
and there will be a lot of lost time, a lot of hassle and worry about your family
it's that simple

i suggest that you just get the car back from the dealer
and take it directly to another car lot
do some research first, decide what's safe, reliable and you like
and trade the ion in on a new car

yes, you will take a hit on depreciation
but isn't the safety of your family and your own piece of mind worth a few dollars????
Old 02-28-2008, 08:41 AM
HpiDrifter420

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: iamnot

bought a camery lately?
bought a honda? probably came from indiana, alabama, canada (yes, they DO have plants), or mexico

i could go on and on...

it's just a fact

hpidrifter420,

and there will be a lot of lost time, a lot of hassle and worry about your family
it's that simple

but isn't the safety of your family and your own piece of mind worth a few dollars????
i hear you but why should i take a hit in my pocket b/c the car is worth less b/c the wrecked it. they lowered the value of the car by putting in the first accident. they were careless and lie so i will not just roll over and get screwed. they are wrong and do bad business so i will do everything in my power to fight this. if i buy a product and it is defective/faulty i have the right to get a new properly working product. if i go get a new car i lose 6500 in downpaymant and and payments made on the car and have to pay another down payment and sign another 5 yr loan. no thats BS and i will not let it happen. as far as safety im doing everythnig in my power to not get that car back. they let me drive a 07 over the weekend and my car was shot driving out of the dealership the day i bought it . the differnce is like night and day.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:19 AM
boltech

(iamnot) I agree totally!!! GREAT POST!!!

(HpiDrifter420) I know where you are coming from, I have been in your boat, I fought the dealership last year over a lemon of a '06 Impala I Bought. I ended up reducing what would have been over 15K in leins to just over 6K.

We too were a single car family. Get a second car it will save a lot of headaches, excessive milage, wear, and tear.
When you do choose to fight don't overuse the sympathy card by saying you have a 23 month old. The loss of life is the same no matter who is in the car. My daughter was 24 months when I finally ditched the impala.

As my salesman said "When dealing with the big wigs attack the cars quality, reliabilty, and it's failure to meet your needs. that alone will get their attention more than your family situation."

The only time they will care is if something happens, they don't care about what you think could happen...

List of Problems I had in the 10 months I had the 06 Impala
- All keyfobs failed, needed replacment which took 3 months
- Forgot all it's security settings, needed module replacment
- Evap unit failed, needed replacment
- Headlight module shorted, needed replacment
- Water pump ruptured, needed replacment
- Steering column bearing gone, needed replacment
- ECU failed, Needed reprogramming on different three occations
- Throttle body failed, needed replacement (caused power loss on highway numerous times, numerous dealership visits)
ended up having a independant mechanic to fix it

- Rear linkage broken, defect from plant, told dealership to take car and shove it!

bought a camery lately?

i could go on and on...

it's just a fact

hpidrifter420,

it's that simple

Old 02-28-2008, 10:24 AM
slayerphonics

I'm sorry man chevy/ford and any american inspired/made vehicals usally suck, just how it is..
thats why toyota/nissan/honda all have higher resale values at higher milages. because they last
i will never buy and american made/inspired car, reputation is everything and they have a bad rep,
maybe not all of them but enough
Old 02-28-2008, 01:12 PM
iamnot

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

I'm sorry man chevy/ford and any american inspired/made vehicals usally suck, just how it is..
thats why toyota/nissan/honda all have higher resale values at higher milages. because they last
i will never buy and american made/inspired car, reputation is everything and they have a bad rep,
maybe not all of them but enough

you missed the point of my post
about three months ago on digg there was a flow chart
it showed who was affiliated with who
who made parts for who, etc
believe me when i say there are no truly domestic or import cars anymore
my point was that your not always getting what you think you're buying

i've owned many, many cars and trucks
and the fact is
there are good and bad import cars
there are good and bad domestic cars

if you choose to ignore one segment, that's your right
but, imo
you're really throwing the baby out with the bathwater
Old 02-28-2008, 01:21 PM
iamnot

ORIGINAL: HpiDrifter420

i hear you but why should i take a hit in my pocket b/c the car is worth less b/c the wrecked it. they lowered the value of the car by putting in the first accident. they were careless and lie so i will not just roll over and get screwed. they are wrong and do bad business so i will do everything in my power to fight this. if i buy a product and it is defective/faulty i have the right to get a new properly working product. if i go get a new car i lose 6500 in downpaymant and and payments made on the car and have to pay another down payment and sign another 5 yr loan. no thats BS and i will not let it happen. as far as safety im doing everythnig in my power to not get that car back. they let me drive a 07 over the weekend and my car was shot driving out of the dealership the day i bought it . the differnce is like night and day.
well
good luck
i still think you'll end up taking a hit in the wallet
no matter how it works out
i hope i'm wrong but don't think i will be
but, like i said
good luck
Old 04-28-2008, 03:33 PM
HpiDrifter420

***Update***

well after 2 almost 3 months of fighting with saturn corp i am getting 3100 back of the 6000 we put into the car and we have since bought a brand new mazda 3. this car has traction control and drive so much better. so my saturn ion is gone and the mazda 3 is in and i couldnt be happier. mazda has already done more for us then saturn ever did so i am glad. it was a tough and a battle to the end with saturn but they finally gave in. hope other people dont have to deal with what i went thru with a saturn
Old 04-28-2008, 03:55 PM
The_Shark

GM makes the worst cars in the world, wait! no, scion by toyota make the worst cars.

sounds like the saturn whent into two things, limp home mode, this makes the car only work in 1,2 or reverse gear as it sais the transmition is overheated or shifting wrong. and it sounds like the abs system noticed the wheels are spinning too fast for the the rpms and the rear tires, so instead of turning on abs and pulsing the breaks, it sends a false code to the ecm that its running too rich, so it shuts down the gas flow, this then the ecm knows there is a malfunction in itself and shuts down to prevent driving and because of (yet again) another bad code, it doesnt know that the car is not in park.

BAAAAAAD BAAAAAAAD CAR!!! get either mopar or volvo. ford and GM have electronic issues, saftey issues and design flaws, not to say MOPAR and volvo are perfect, but thier desighns are far supirior. mazda is basicly ford, but build quality seems to be higher.

good luck with your new car.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:30 PM
HpiDrifter420

thank you...mazda has a better warrenty and service and we are happy. they gave us a great deal and have treated us way better than saturn ever did. i hope other peopel kan learn from my mistake
Old 04-28-2008, 05:35 PM
The Hedgehog

The Shark funny you bash Ford with its "electronic" issues. Since you are a Volvo fanatic you do know who pays the bills to Volvo do you? A lot of Ford's also share electrical components with Mazda and vice versa. In fact I had a Ford that had Mazda written on a couple of its parts.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:57 PM
iamnot

autoxman
that's exactly
what i've been trying to say

there are no truly domestic
or foreign cars anymore

they're all in each other's back pocket

here, check this out
if you don't believe me

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/autom...e-2008/725147/
Old 04-28-2008, 06:10 PM
The_Shark

well, volvo is still a supirior car, they sometimes have electronic issues, but mostly interior and worning lights.

my volvo is made from parts all over europe, and the UK. not one or mexican or american part yet.

last time i checked, volvo was owned by GM, but it was all made in either sweden or the netherlands or germany.

in my opinion, ford can go under as far as i care, PAINS to fix lincolns are the worst, they just sold jaguar to a indian company who makes that 3,000 car with one mirror and one windshield wiper. and they just LOOOVE to outsource for assembly.
Mopar is my favorite american company, they had issues in the past, but quality is way up today.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:21 PM
iamnot

nope, volvo is a
ford owned company

and not to start anything
just my opinion

but i've never been impressed with volvo

i do like chrysler products a lot though
Old 04-28-2008, 07:18 PM
The Hedgehog

nope, volvo is a
ford owned company

just my opinion

I agree 110% with everything you just said. Mopar!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:55 PM
[email protected]

I was a saturn tech for some time and your problem sounds like normal traction control stuff. Now with the other thing I would be pissed and tell them to buy my car back and or give me a new car.

Saturn is all about service and I would call saturn and tell them all the stuff that happened to the car and we don't feel safe and the car had water damage. Water damage is the worst thing to happen to a car. you might not see a problem from water damage for years after it flooded.
also they did a lot of dumb things 1st never tell a customer the car is unsafe without being check by the tech first. 2nd you are not allowed to take a customer car home without the permission of the owner (it's like stealing). You have a court case if you wunt to fight them you should contact a lawyer.
almost 99% of the time the dealer will loose a case if it has merit and you do. One more thing the service writer shoud never road test a car it should be a tech because we are the ones with the training.

I know if it was my old dealer we would be kissing your but hoping you don't sue us and giving you at least (1) extending your warranty free of charge (2) lots and lots of free oil changes. we have bought cars back before for stuff that was just stupid. If you get saturn involved the dealer will get a spanking.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:03 AM
HpiDrifter420

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

I was a saturn tech for some time and your problem sounds like normal traction control stuff. Now with the other thing I would be pissed and tell them to buy my car back and or give me a new car.

Saturn is all about service and I would call saturn and tell them all the stuff that happened to the car and we don't feel safe and the car had water damage. Water damage is the worst thing to happen to a car. you might not see a problem from water damage for years after it flooded.
also they did a lot of dumb things 1st never tell a customer the car is unsafe without being check by the tech first. 2nd you are not allowed to take a customer car home without the permission of the owner (it's like stealing). You have a court case if you wunt to fight them you should contact a lawyer.
almost 99% of the time the dealer will loose a case if it has merit and you do. One more thing the service writer shoud never road test a car it should be a tech because we are the ones with the training.

I know if it was my old dealer we would be kissing your but hoping you don't sue us and giving you at least (1) extending your warranty free of charge (2) lots and lots of free oil changes. we have bought cars back before for stuff that was just stupid. If you get saturn involved the dealer will get a spanking.
the car did not have traction control trust me on that one. ive had other techs look up the vin and it has no traction control unit under the hood. trust me i had tried everything and saturn or saturn corp didnt do a thing for a while. i learned that i wont buy another saturn ever again.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:42 AM
iamnot

hey drifter,
just curious
how did the money shake out
did you have to take a loss on the ion?

or did you manage to come close to breaking even?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:18 AM
The_Shark

nope, volvo is a
ford owned company

just my opinion

maybe build quality has changed over the years sadly volvo is still my favorite "forien" car though.

about the ion, im wondering if the ecm was a TCS version and it had no TCS modules on the chassis like relays and extra sencors, so that comfused the heck out of the car.

i love the good old days when everything was run by carborator, no injection, no MAS no air temp sensor no electronic fuel pump, sure you lost mabe 2mpg and are hard to start sometimes, but they where alot more simpler.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:44 PM
The Hedgehog

Lol I am glad we don't have carberators. Have to tune them for performance everytime the temperature/humidity/elevation changes.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 PM
HpiDrifter420

hey drifter,
just curious
how did the money shake out
did you have to take a loss on the ion?

or did you manage to come close to breaking even?
we almost broke even but to get rid of the headaches and dealing with saturn it was worth it. we now are proud new owners of a 08 mazda 3 and this does have traction control. i just hope other people dont have to go thru what i went thru. hope other have learned from my mistakes
Old 04-30-2008, 08:54 PM
iamnot

well, i'm sorry you lost a bit of money on the whole incident
but, i can't say i'm surprised
and your family is far more important than
money

drive that mazda a while and
let us know how it is
to tell the truth
i've been kinda eyeing the mazda 3
in a 5 door hatchback
for the last year or so
Old 04-30-2008, 10:16 PM
HpiDrifter420

the mazda has been great so far and we love it. my brother in law had the mazda 3 hatch for a year then upgraded to the mazdaspeed3 and loves it. its very fast. my father in law has the mazda cx7 and thats also fast and drives great. so basicaly we are all driving mazdas and are happy. i would definitly go check one out if your in the market for a new car.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:18 PM
iamnot

probably can't get one for another year or so
but thanks for the quick reviews