Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

For wristwatch fans

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Anomie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: For wristwatch fans

Nice Sportura! Those watches have a very streamlined design.

Look at this Seiko 6105 that sold on eBay... 50 bids!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 07-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, $3k+ for that vintage Seiko!! [X(]
Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 PM
tommygun32

Nice watch. And in excellent condition.

But it has that typical Seiko traight that bugs me to no end.

When the second hand doesn't land bang on the mark....as in the first picture. It lands in the middle or just off the 1 second marks.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:11 AM
Anomie

The 6105 movement runs at 21600 bph. You are seeing the hand between markers because it moves in 1/6-second increments.

[8D]
Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 AM
tommygun32

Anomie, that's quite amazing...[X(]...very fast indeed.

Don't know what's more amazing...how fast its bph is....or the fact you know that....

Dork...

ORIGINAL: Anomie

The 6105 movement runs at 21600 bph. You are seeing the hand between markers because it moves in 1/6-second increments.

[8D]
Old 07-22-2011, 09:26 AM
electricrc68
Banned

all i have is a digital watch i found on the sidewalk when i was riding my bike lol.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Lunchboxer

Tommy, man.. that's a mechanical watch.. with sweeping hands.. !!

ORIGINAL: tommygun32
When the second hand doesn't land bang on the mark....as in the first picture. It lands in the middle or just off the 1 second marks.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:13 AM
tommygun32

Yup. Figured it out LB. My bad.

So it's not actually going click...click...click....it's sweeping straight through.

My very first Seiko Diver's would do the tic...tic...tic...but wouldn't land dead on the marks...[:@]

My second Seiko did the same thing. The one in the pic is spot on though.[8D]

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

Tommy, man.. that's a mechanical watch.. with sweeping hands.. !!

ORIGINAL: tommygun32
Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Lunchboxer

Technically, it is still tic tic tic, but just clicking at a smaller increment.. as Reiko said, 21.6k bph movement moves at 6 beats per second.. a lot of mechanical watches beats at 28.8kbh, so they moves 8 beats per second..

Some high-end Seiko uses "hi beat" movement that has 36k bph.. so those ticks at 10 beats / second..
Old 07-24-2011, 08:58 PM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

Back in the day when these were really popular (80's-90's) I sported when of these bad boys.
The Swatch Watches.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PySeQyjRKM
Old 07-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Steve.

My wife bought me the original Movado museum watch, all black with black band, it's a sharp looking watch. What many people don't know is that they use a movement by a company called "ETA" which is owned by the Swatch group. I also have a mechanical wind up Omega DeVille which is super thin and is one of my favorite watches of all time. I'm also very fortunate to own a Rolex GMT II, it's stainless with a black face and black and red bezel. That watch is cool because it has a quick set hour hand is is dual time. I also have a 14k Waltham pocket watch circa 1905 which still keeps great time on the rare occasion that I wear a suit.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Nitro Fumes

Here's a couple of new watches I got in these past few months.

And Ingersoll Bison #18. Big Date and Automatic with an open heart:

And TX 800 Linear chronograph, a quartz watch:
Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i only wear watches that go- tickticktickticktickticktick and not ones that go tick....tick.....tick....tick...
Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 PM
MiamizFinest

<-Huge fan over here with an extensive collection will post pics soon
Old 03-14-2012, 05:02 AM
Nitro Fumes

The Shark: I do prefer mainspring powered watches but there are some nice quartz watches too. I even have a cheap Armiton digital watch that I like because it has a nice display. Here's another mechanical watch I have I bought in '98 and it runs way too fast now and it will cost $800 to fix a watch I bought for $1000. Its a Revue Thomen Airspeed Automatic with a Lemania 5100 movement:

A Swatch Iron Automatic that doesn't work any more. I liked it too:

My old Buluva from around 1970:

And my cheap Armitron:
Old 03-14-2012, 10:44 AM
The_Shark

huh, my gramp's old watch runs perfect. that sucker is from like 1940. maybe yours just got bumped wrong, $800 to fix? is it broken or just out of adjustment?

i only have two watches at the moment, my grandpa's old mechanical, and my skeleton faced armaitron automatic mechanical
Old 03-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Lunchboxer

Lemania 5100 FTW! Hopefully you can fix it for less than that.. 5100 is a robust movement, so I am surprised that it broke...

ORIGINAL: Nitro Fumes

Here's another mechanical watch I have I bought in '98 and it runs way too fast now and it will cost $800 to fix a watch I bought for $1000. Its a Revue Thomen Airspeed Automatic with a Lemania 5100 movement:

Old 03-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Nitro Fumes

My Lemania 5100 isn't broken. It just runs way too fast. It started to run fast when the watch was about 4 yrs old. I had it regulated once for about $100. That lasted about a year and it started running fast again. I had stopped wearing for a few years, then one day I decided to check it out again. I wound it up. It was keeping good time for about three months. But during the third month it would stop sometimes. I gave it a shake and reset the time and it was fine. After about the fourth time I took it back off my wrist and put it away. By the way you other watch fans. Here is a site you might like to check out. They have reviews of all sorts of watches including exotic models. They even have videos too:
http://www.ablogtoread.com/
Old 03-14-2012, 05:59 PM
The_Shark

thats too bad nitro, maybe its just a spec of dust somewhere or a damaged jewel, thats the major downside to mechanical, but i wouldnt have it any other way.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Lunchboxer

Running fast usually means it has been magnetized.. maybe take it to a jeweler to de-mag it.. since it is done without opening up the watch, it is usually very cheap.. (they probably would do it for you for free if you know the shop) But who knows..

My Lemania 5100 isn't broken. It just runs way too fast. It started to run fast when the watch was about 4 yrs old. I had it regulated once for about $100. That lasted about a year and it started running fast again. I had stopped wearing for a few years, then one day I decided to check it out again. I wound it up. It was keeping good time for about three months. But during the third month it would stop sometimes. I gave it a shake and reset the time and it was fine. After about the fourth time I took it back off my wrist and put it away. By the way you other watch fans. Here is a site you might like to check out. They have reviews of all sorts of watches including exotic models. They even have videos too:
Old 03-14-2012, 08:29 PM
MiamizFinest

Sounds like you need a over haul, My grandfather was a master watch maker and showed me everything he knew. I own every watch maker tool one could need. Tho its not my profession, it is a side hobby i have besides also collecting.

What it sounds like to me is your main spring is either gummed up AND/OR your balance spring is also gummed up. A simple service would get you back on track im sure.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:05 PM
MiamizFinest

Decided to post some pics, My collection is pretty extensive, and as you can image pretty expensive. I don't keep my collection at home as that would simply be nuts but i decided to post some pics from my project box...... From time to time i buy misrepresented watches on ebay that sell for peanuts with the idea of refurbishment them and just adding them to the collection. Apart from the higher stuff i have i find this fun and i always buy at a price i know id make money on should i need to sell. Here are some pics.

My daily beater is a No date Sub Year 1991, ive enjoyed this was daily for the past 2 years or so. Its low key, high end and i can wear it anywhere with out getting the stares. I also love the fact the markers already show patina.

These are projects in progress, Once i finish them up i store them in safer place

This is a bulova ambassador i just finished up, i have no before pics but as you can see this thing looks brand new at this point. I believe its 1965, I love the moment on this thing and it was one of the first super thin automatics. As you can see the rotor is on the side.

This is my main current project, at the moment the stem retainer is broken and im having a little hard time finding it. Even more important is im trying to find a replacement case that will fit this moment. This case was not SS and not Gold. It was nickle plated mase metal and the wear is really showing. There is no polishing here, this case has got to go. I have a case on auto-search on ebay incase a SS or GOLD case was ever to pop up. If it does ill put in the effort to finish the movement, the movement is a valjoux 72 EXTREMELY high end for its time and still is. The face shows some nice wear on it.

Most of these watches like many of my other ones will never see the light of day on my wrist, seeing as i have a 8" wrist most of my vintage collection will just look silly on me but i still enjoy rebuilding from time to time. I have many i used occasionally but many that i don't

At the moment im currently wearing this thing!!

The GF gave it to me the 5th this month on our anniversary and i actually REALLY LOVE IT. I love the fact its modern, not to expensive, and with criminals on the rampage it really doesn't scream ROB ME. This is the first digital watch ive ever owned, and i find it kind funny that knowing everything i know about watches......i cant change the time on this thing to save my life........since sunday im one hour behind. After i type this up i plan on watching a youtube video on how to change the time on this thing!!!

Hope you guys enjoy the pics. Let me look thru my HHD and see if i have any other pics.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:18 PM
The_Shark

i would love to learn watchmaking! you are very lucky to have learned from your grandfather, watchmaking is a dying profession, anyone can learn to program computers, but being able to place teeny tiny little gears, springs and forks in a very specific order by hand takes true skill.

when i get the chance (also known as monneh) i want to get a offset faced, exposed balance wheel and a separate second dial with a reserve dial automatic watch. sweet
Old 03-14-2012, 09:20 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

Running fast usually means it has been magnetized.. maybe take it to a jeweler to de-mag it.. since it is done without opening up the watch, it is usually very cheap.. (they probably would do it for you for free if you know the shop) But who knows..

that never crossed my mind, makes PERFECT sense thats what it is considering he is in a hobby that uses tons of magnets.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:57 PM
MiamizFinest

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

i would love to learn watchmaking! you are very lucky to have learned from your grandfather, watchmaking is a dying profession, anyone can learn to program computers, but being able to place teeny tiny little gears, springs and forks in a very specific order by hand takes true skill.

when i get the chance (also known as monneh) i want to get a offset faced, exposed balance wheel and a separate second dial with a reserve dial automatic watch. sweet

Correct, and the reason for that is the fact the pay is horrible, something that takes so much skill and patience its incredible how under valued the watch maker actually is. Sure it will cost you a arm and leg to get you watch fixed here or there. But the fact is the store front is the guys making the big money, the watch maker not so much. If you don't own your own watch repair biz its not worth it IMO.

Looking thru my HDD i found pics of a watch i had a few years ago and sold because........well.... the money i was making was just that dam good. I basically got a offer i could not refuse. Im kinda kicking my self in the butt right now thinking about it but atleast i know its in a happy home.

It was a EXTREMELY rare Movado pilot chronograph, at the time the was the same as owning a Rolex Daytona as far was movement quality goes. At the time both movado and Rolex where sourcing the movement from zenith. Only difference was the rolex cost alot more (duh) and the movado i although cheaper also included date. Internally they where 100% the same watch, until rolex released its own IN HOUSE chrono movement a few years ago.

Extremely hard piece to find, how i miss it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.