Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

New car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 04:43 PM
quadzilla122

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car!

My mom needs a new car because her lease is over in may. She wont keep here 2005 Nissan Maxima because you know how women are.... Nissan is redesigning a new maxima and it will come out in june according to Nissan.com. http://www.nissanusa.com/09maxima/index.html
Old 04-18-2008, 06:23 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New car!

Well If you want an SUV/crossover, BMW is coming out with an X6 that is pretty nice. I was sitting in one the other day.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:26 PM
quadzilla122

No thank you i know im going to get this car and i want a sports sedan. under 31k.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:33 PM
NitroVenom

Ohh. I just looked at the new maxima and I really like it. 290 hp sounds pretty good too. Do you know if its front or rear wheel drive?
Old 04-18-2008, 06:43 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The placement of the front wheels relative to the A-pillar seems to suggest RWD, which would be good - but I don't know for sure. I'm still not sold on CVTs w/ paddles pretending to be clutchless manuals though...
Old 04-18-2008, 06:47 PM
NitroVenom

ORIGINAL: sheograth

The placement of the front wheels relative to the A-pillar seems to suggest RWD, which would be good - but I don't know for sure. I'm still not sold on CVTs w/ paddles pretending to be clutchless manuals though...
What pics were you lookin at. I couldn't find any good close-ups regarding the chassies. What don't you like about the paddles?
Old 04-18-2008, 06:56 PM
hands without shadows

A CVT doesn't have gears, paddles are pointless for them.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:04 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah its a CTV with electronically controlled "points" within there to make it simulate a gearbox when using the paddle shifters. In general I LOVE paddle shifters, thats why I drive my girlfriends car instead of mine :P, but on a CVT they're just for oohs and aahs.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:04 PM
The_Shark

i like that it has sport mode. if it is like anything like on my volvo, it will shift those gears perfectly if you want to move fast, it will engage very abruptly too. while unnessisary, paddle shifters are cool, so are slap shifts on mopar cars.

front end i like side view is good, i dont like the rear end, looks genaric [&o]

overall, it will be a million times better than a hyundia (hyundia is poop) i cant even spell it correctly[:'(]
cant tell if its RWD but the looks of the wheel base as described by sheograth suggest it is.

when i buy cars, i make sure i can work on them, i also look at the chassis platform, many cars have very limited adjustments on suspension, meaning you have to change part after part or have frame work done in later years. i mostly look at ease of changing the ignition system, vaccuum lines, fuel filter, intake manifold, alternator, rack and pinon, starter and engine heads.
If it happens to be rwd, it should be a little eaiser to work on, that is if they give the motor space, many cars nowadays, put batterys in stupid spots in the engine bay, making the engine have to be pushed back right against the fire wall or they push the engine right upto the front of the car so you cant get to the front of the engine (where the dreded timing belt lies)

unfortunately, the fixable car is dieing out, everything is run by computer, and everything requires a special tool. that's why i like mopar and Volvo, they are a mechanic's dream in today's cars because they typicly allow for alot of room for the engine, and make everything easy to fix.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:38 PM
quadzilla122

I love the CVT transmissions. Probably one of the best trannys Nissan/Datsun has ever made. I only have my restricted but i know my stuff.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Enzyme80

The paddle shifters are useful in high breaking situations. I have an 08 Altima has the CVT. I love it. It is not paddle but more a short through up or down. It works great but it does not help acceleration at all. At least not in the Altima.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:55 AM
The_Shark

CVT transmitions are usually made with hybrid cars, its cool that they can shift gears without bogging down the engine. they seem complex, but they are quite simple.

they actually desighned these transmitions with shift points, just a kick in the tranny that does nothing. normally, you wont feel anything.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:51 PM
A.B.U

If she wants a Nissan...
'08 Nissan GT-r [8D]