Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
27.78%
No
63.89%
I Don't Care Because It Doesn't Effect My Area
8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Find This Disturbing

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:27 PM
VIPER458

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do You Find This Disturbing

ORIGINAL: Longhair

I remember drinking with a cop every Friday night in the bar and he left between 11:15pm and 11:30pm every week...

His shift started at 12:00am [:@]
hmm thats strange last i looked i dont remember schedules being like that. usually if they work the night shift they start at around 5pm. but if that really did happen why let one dumb cop label all the others. i once saw a guy chasing small kids with his gas rc car. does that mean that all rc car drivers are idots. of course not. every profession in the world had their morons. dosent mean you should label them...
Old 05-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Longhair

8:00 am to 3:00 pm - 1st shift
3:00 pm to 12:00 am - 2nd shift
12:00 am to 8:00 am - 3rd shift

Where does it say in the post you have quoted that I am labeling people? All I was pointing out was that I knew a cop that drank before his shift started - and not just a bloody mary to start the day either.

It seems like you are the one doing so by calling people "morons".
Old 05-20-2008, 01:44 PM
slayerphonics

I had a friend that was cool before he became a cop.. then all he talked about was cop crap, and busting people. And how everyone was pieces of @$@#. I'm not his friend anymore. And his girl dumped him. LOL
Old 05-20-2008, 02:00 PM
VIPER458

8:00 am to 3:00 pm - 1st shift
3:00 pm to 12:00 am - 2nd shift
12:00 am to 8:00 am - 3rd shift

Where does it say in the post you have quoted that I am labeling people? All I was pointing out was that I knew a cop that drank before his shift started - and not just a bloody mary to start the day either.

It seems like you are the one doing so by calling people "morons".
well that sure isnt how ths shifts down here work. they all work 12 hour shifts. and if you read my post again you will see i wanst calling anyone a moron specifically. and as for me saying you were labeling them thats just what it appeared to me as you were doing. if you werent insuating that then i apologize for jumping to conclusions.

and to slayerphonics.
yeah becoming a cop really can change a persons life alot. sometimes for better or smoetimes for worse
Old 05-20-2008, 02:24 PM
RCtruckRacer

I've had to delete quite a few posts here, lets keep things on topic. If this strays back down the path it was heading, the thread will be locked or removed.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:08 PM
victorzamora

Yeah, parking lots and drive-ways are private property....but as brett65 said, in plain site is still acceptable. Paradoxmaker made a good point about the difference between rights and privileges. Oh, and I'm definitely NOT a democrat. I'm okay with them, don't get me wrong...but I definitely don't vote for the left wing. I'm actually one of the most conservative people I know. I'm not an extremist, but I'm not liberal at all.

Slayerphonics: only my first paragraph was aimed at you. The other one was in response to the bigger question, whether it's disturbing or not...and no, I'm very glad that they've developed it. I feel like it'll help law enforcement.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:28 PM
DaveG55

I really don't see any difference in this technology than when the police all went to computers in the cars. They can go into parking lots now (w/o the tag id tech) and run as many tags as they can enter into their computer. All this does is automate the system for them. Just like they no longer have to call in now to run a traffic stop, they do it on their in-car computer the new system just make a more efficient, safer system. And as far as the alarmists who worry that the system will be abused, any thing or system can be abused. Just because something has a potential for abuse is not, IMHO, a good enough reason to not impliment it.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Mr.Slave

and thats just what they want you to know.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:22 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't mind the concept. Sure, there's plenty of potential for abuse of the system, but I think the benefits outweigh the danger of misuse, at least in the hands of the law. But the private sector will surely run with it.

One thing for sure, George Orwell would love it. He's probably laughing in his grave, saying "TOLD YOU SO!!"
Old 05-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Rob6

I have only read the first page on this. But in my honest opinion I dont see the big deal here! The P.D. is going to end up using something like this in the near future anyways. This is used to be more efficient in the right hands, yes there might be a crooked cop here and there.. But the point of the technology is for the cops to scan plates faster. Wouldn't you want this in your town if someone just robbed a bank and killed everyone and was looking for some more civilians to take with them? And all they had was a LP#? Now bear with me, thats of course hypothetical.. I think this is for the better, and if the cops are using it to profile then they should not be in the Force to begin with. And if they did profile I am SURE that that person that was profiled would take the ticket into court.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:30 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm glad to see that its harder for criminals to stay un-recognized.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:28 PM
N-4-Speeed

I don't like it. But it's a helluva lot better than the speed cameras and red light cameras. Now THATS bs. How do they know who was driving my car? Among other problems. I think we are giving up too many rights in the name of "safety". They installed red light cameras in my city recently, and accidents went UP by 50% at those red lights due to people braking harder b/c they were scared they would get ticketed. Sorry for the incoherent rant.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:35 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: N-4-Speeed

I don't like it. But it's a helluva lot better than the speed cameras and red light cameras. Now THATS bs. How do they know who was driving my car? Among other problems. I think we are giving up too many rights in the name of "safety". They installed red light cameras in my city recently, and accidents went UP by 50% at those red lights due to people braking harder b/c they were scared they would get ticketed. Sorry for the incoherent rant.
I agree with that, those red light cameras get you for going 1mph over too don't they? You would have to have a digi speedo, and I know the camera radar isn't perfectly precise in measuring speed.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:26 PM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

Americans are willing to sacrifice one freedom after another in the name of safty, its sad really. The media instills fear by constantly reporting negative things when truly its a small percentage.

Soon we will have cameras in our living rooms "To help protect us"

I don't mind they are doing it cause I'm legit, but its another sacrifice of privacy and freedom, in the name of safty.
I scoend this thought, before you know it, they will be tracking people, I mean they are doing it with "Onstar", they said the would not do that, here it is like 3 or 4 years later, and they are doing it.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:28 PM
04DarkShadowGT

How does this possibly invade our rights or take away our freedoms? Some of you are crazy, all this does is make a more efficient way to get people off the road that shouldn't be anyway. I mean seriously how are you going to racially profile someone by using a camera that detects their plates.

Id much rather have this than picture radar detectors to give people tickets.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: VIPER458
imo. if you follow the law you have nothing to worry about. only criminals should be disturbed by this. but thats just my opinion...
I remember something like this going to effect in a certain area where airplanes were used for traffic enforcement. Then one too many high ranking officials were ordered pulled over. Needless to write, airplanes were no longer used for traffic enforcement. Is it fair? Of course not, but it's just another example of abuse since technically those same high ranking officials were violating posted speed limits.

i dont mind having a cop follow me just to run my plate. it happens to me almost every day.
A cop shouldn't be following you "just to run" your plate. If he is, he has profiled you for some reason or he is rather bored, especially if it happens almost every day.

ORIGINAL: brett65
A parking lot is actually PRIVATE PROPERTY.
That doesn't apply to the case of whether or not a police officer can come into the parking lot and run tags. That is a situational type of argument, but a valid one.
Around here cops usually won't conduct an accident investigation if an accident occurs in a parking lot yet it appears fine for them to cruse the parking lots when they feel like it and/or as in the video. In my opinion, if they are going to cruise the parking lots looking for violations, then they should investigate accidents as well.

ORIGINAL: victorzamora
Paradoxmaker made a good point about the difference between rights and privileges.
The other one was in response to the bigger question, whether it's disturbing or not...and no, I'm very glad that they've developed it. I feel like it'll help law enforcement.
What is the difference? Does anyone have any rights or are they all actually "privileges"? I only ask because the "law" changes over time. For example, the 21st Amendment repealed the 18th Amendment to the US Constitution. Consequently, anything can technically change.

Another thing that will help law enforcement is the digital chip. It was developed years ago though most people think of it only being used in animals. However, it has been tested in humans and the last I knew it was approved by the FDA. Consequently, instead of some device being worn around a human ankle or around a human neck or wrist, the chip can simply be injected into everyone.

Just think about it since there didn't used to be driver's licenses, an actual photo driver's license/ID wasn't required, and there didn't used to be mandatory social security cards. Of course, all of this can be simplified if a chip is inserted upon birth. For older children, insert the chip prior to attending school. For those already in school, insert the chip prior to obtaining a driver's license. For those already with a driver's license, insert the chip prior to renewal. And so on. Of course, it could be made mandatory for any type of government or military employment or for those who receive any sort of government benefit, i.e. school grants, retirement benifits, discounts, etc.

Heck, if you are going to "go" go all the way and quit wasting time.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:45 AM
VIPER458

ORIGINAL: Tigger N. Bennie

imo. if you follow the law you have nothing to worry about. only criminals should be disturbed by this. but thats just my opinion...
I remember something like this going to effect in a certain area where airplanes were used for traffic enforcement. Then one too many high ranking officials were ordered pulled over. Needless to write, airplanes were no longer used for traffic enforcement. Is it fair? Of course not, but it's just another example of abuse since technically those same high ranking officials were violating posted speed limits.

we still have airplanes looking for speeders in our town. actually the main street that i live on has a few signs that say they are using airplanes for traffic enforcement. as for the whole implanted chip thing i think thats disturbing.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:33 PM
westphill24

Well the parking authority already uses that in Philadelphia and I can see the positive side of it but it really is a pain in the butt. Parking is horrible in the city and if you have to run in somewhere even to get change for parking or to drop something off they print the ticket in less than a minute. (They also have handheld versions not as advanced but still reads the plate andprints out the violation in less than a minute. While I do think certian convicts should be tagged with some sort of chip(pedophiles,sex offenders, violent offenders) everyday people shouldnt get that chip you where talking about. What you do have to think about is where the money for this comes from, red light cameras, license plate readers and other similar technologies get funding from the offenders paying their tickets. once the amount of offenders go down to a certian extent there wont be enough money to fund the program, and the cycle starts again. the only real way to effectively stop things like this from happening is to teach people while there young morals and the price of actions. yeah Yeah I know most people are synical and have their own morals but I think most people have the same core beliefs even if they dont act on them.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: westphill24
Well the parking authority already uses that in Philadelphia and I can see the positive side of it but it really is a pain in the butt. Parking is horrible in the city and if you have to run in somewhere even to get change for parking or to drop something off they print the ticket in less than a minute. (They also have handheld versions not as advanced but still reads the plate andprints out the violation in less than a minute.
They print tickets out pretty quick here as well. I've also been places where tow trucks are on standby and the meter police don't issue tickets for not putting money in meters, but get on their radio and call the tow trucks. I've also been places where they have refused to build parking garages simply because they can generate a lot of revenue by issuing tickets.

While I do think certian convicts should be tagged with some sort of chip(pedophiles,sex offenders, violent offenders) everyday people shouldnt get that chip you where talking about.
That's how it starts out... sort of like cooking a frog. The cook just doesn't dump the frog in a hot pan, but lets the water heat up until the frog doesn't realize what has happened. By then, it is too late. He's cooked.

What you do have to think about is where the money for this comes from, red light cameras, license plate readers and other similar technologies get funding from the offenders paying their tickets. once the amount of offenders go down to a certian extent there wont be enough money to fund the program, and the cycle starts again. the only real way to effectively stop things like this from happening is to teach people while there young morals and the price of actions. yeah Yeah I know most people are synical and have their own morals but I think most people have the same core beliefs even if they dont act on them.
To me your post seems to assert that there should always be a certain amount of offenders just to fund a program and/or generate revenue. Sure "parents" could teach their children morals and the price of their actions but is that actually happening in the USA? If it is, why are the prisons overcrowed, the judicial system overburdened, and so much money spent on law enforcement already? Just ask yourself why some places use cheaply made ankle bracelets that can be monitored and put people under house arrest? Perhaps, it's cheaper to "confine" them at home and let them pay for their own room and board instead of building more prisons and paying for room and board. The chip simply makes it more difficult for people to remove. Of course, people like Martha Stewart may seem to get off easy compared to othersmust be about money as well.

I'm not saying I like the idea of a chip, but the technology is already in place and it is already in use. It just sort of cracks me up when people believe such technology is ok for everyone else, yet not for themselves even though they may initially support such an idea as long as it is used elsewhere.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:23 PM
westphill24

I wasnt implying that we need offenders, just that it needs to be a better way then to use more money on technology to catch them. I also dont think its just ok if its somebody else but when violent offenders, especially people who abuse kids, I think they should be tagged.