Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Mother Nature

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:00 AM
need2drag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mother Nature

Well mother nature showed her rath tonight. Me and my family spent about an hour in our basement as a tornado apparently went about 5 miles south of us, then went screaming by dads house. As of right now, he and mom are still in their basement and will probably stay there the rest of the night. They do not have power, and he says nothing is wrong with their house either, which is good news. Manhattan (The Little Apple) which is the city dad lives by got damaged pretty good from what I am understanding. Everyone that I know is ok, and not really any damage to their homes. My sister in law is going to school at the local Job Corps and I guess they got hit head on. She and her son are ok. Scared to death but okay. I figured I would throw this out there, since I know some of you know we live out here and I just wanted to let everyone know, we are okay. I hope anyone else that is dealing with all the weather in the midwest is ok as well.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Redharris

Default RE: Mother Nature

Bro.....
I have Family in the Midwest.
I have been through some of those types of Storms. They (Tornados) Scare the Hell out of Me!
I am a California Native and have been through MANY earthquakes (some BIG ones too), and I'll take Earthquakes over Tornadoes ANY day......

I'm Glad You and Yours are Safe.....
Hope you Stay that way. Keep your Heads down.....

On a lighter note......
If you had a 1/18 Electric Himoto Mini, You could be Playin with it in the Basement to Pass the Time! Lol...
Old 06-12-2008, 06:44 AM
ugly duck

Doesn't someone on here live in Manhattan, KS? I thought I saw him and Eddie bantering about apples, once.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:46 AM
kuppler

ORIGINAL: Redharris

Bro.....
I have been through some of those types of Storms. They (Tornados) Scare the Hell out of Me!
I am a California Native and have been through MANY earthquakes (some BIG ones too), and I'll take Earthquakes over Tornadoes ANY day......

On a lighter note......
If you had a 1/18 Electric Himoto Mini, You could be Playin with it in the Basement to Pass the Time! Lol...
Need2 I hope everything is OK.
Rich im am SOO with you on this one. I have been in some BAD storms... and Tornado watch's and it wasnt nice....
Old 06-12-2008, 09:02 AM
{GBI}Harryball

Glad to here everyone is ok.

I was in paltalk with kodiac on sunday when the tornados hit us. I told him the siren was going off and that i had to go, the all hell broke out. Power is back, but some others arent as fortunate. We have about 150000 still with out power, but everything should be back online today.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Cam_132

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks, i herd on the radio today that a tornado went throught some ware, but i did not know that it was ware you ware! How is everyone and the houes and importantintly the rc's. lol Jk they are just inatimit objects and people are more important.

I hope you and your family especialy your father and mother are ok. jeez.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:10 PM
need2drag

ORIGINAL: ugly duck

Doesn't someone on here live in Manhattan, KS? I thought I saw him and Eddie bantering about apples, once.

Yeah my dad does (papax5p), they are ok. I talked to him about midnight last night after the tornado past and they were ok but had no power. I have been keeping up with the news today, since the storm last night. The worst hit area is about 10 miles east of me. Basically it leveled a town of about 1300 people. So far they have one confirmed death, and come to find out, my wife and her sister were really good friends. Kinda makes you think how quick this stuff could happen. Other than that my family is all ok, and really don't have any damage. It was a long night and now I am extremely tired.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Redharris

Bro.....

On a lighter note......

Need2 I hope everything is OK.
Rich im am SOO with you on this one. I have been in some BAD storms... and Tornado watch's and it wasnt nice....

and I think I would agree as well. We were living in Monterey when San Fran had that big earthqauke in like 1989 or sometime around then. It scared the crap out of me, but nothing like I was last night.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:45 PM
ehroof

Glad to hear you guys are ok, we had some bad winds 2 night ago but it just missed my neighborhood but a few places got hit pretty good, nothing like you guys got hit with. Let your dad know i said hi and glad to hear he's ok!!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:49 PM
need2drag

I will when I talk to him. I am actually pretty nerve racked by this even. According to the news and storm chasers it barely missed us. The town that got leveled is less than 10 minutes away.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:41 PM
firebird78

in my personal opinion tornados are one the worst natural disasters. earthquakes can also come without warning...but in alot of cases tornados you have very little to no warning...example....Hoisington Ks.....little town not to far from me.....tornado basically wiped the town off the map...it basically dropped straight out of the sky onto the town...absolutly no warning...no siren nothing.....now Greensburg Ks may have had a little more damage...but the had like atleast a 10 minute warning...im thinking it was 30 minutes but I say 10 just to be on the safe side...now this is totally uncommon to have that much of a warning...greensburg is only about 20 miles from me...hurricanes are devistating but heck you have like a 3 day warning or better...lol...Me myself....I sleep like a rock when we are in tornado producing weather....stormy weather is good sleeping weather..lol
Old 06-12-2008, 07:41 PM
need2drag

Here is an update on dad. He is ok, no damage, but they still don't have power. I guess crews are working as fast as they can to get it restored. There is a chance for storms again tonight, but I think they are supposed to be more widespread. Right now, it is beautiful outside. WISH I HAD A WORKING RC....lol Figured I would update everyone.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:43 PM
firebird78

glad to hear everything is good....
Old 06-12-2008, 08:10 PM
need2drag

Yeah, I must agree that Tornado's have gotta be the worse. I have been in Tornado warnings before but this one really shook my nerves. I have been reading and hearing a lot about Chapman, and it has got me a little freaked. They are saying 80-85% of the town is completely destroyed. It is insane.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:20 PM
shoota0075

glad to hear you guys are all ok, we have been hearing about the tornados you guys got hit with ,be careful
Old 06-13-2008, 08:40 AM
firebird78

dont worry bout me shoota...if one hits my town at night i'll be sleeping..lol
Old 06-13-2008, 09:02 PM
papax5p

Hey everyone. Well we got power back about 12:45 am. Freakin nice to have the ac again. It either went right over us and dropped down or just to the north of us. This is the first time in 17 years in Kansas that I was pretty worried. Didn't **** my drawers but damm close!! Daughters car was totaled from the hail storm 2 weeks ago, camping trailer has $5,000 worth of damage and the house was just inspected Tuesday morning. Will hear something about it within the next few days.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Checkpointracer

Glad everyones all right.

I'm in Fergus Falls MN right now and we were under a tornado warning last night (saturday night). I was in a apartment at the time and I looked out the on the porch and there was a rotating wall cloud right over my head.[sm=drowning.gif] I ran into the hallways and waited there. Thankfully it didn't touch down by our apartment.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:43 PM
carlbellybutton10

glad to here you are ok. (wow i bet you are tired of that being repeated ) well anyway i have been through a few of those moments...................i was scared as HELL!!!! its not often you see me scared but that is one of the FEW things that can scare me
Old 06-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Wisconsin Nitro

lots of flooding here and allot of people are worried about dams breaking and there houses washing away into over flooded lakes and and streams...

not to start a whole thing about global warming or what not but no one in my family can ever remember it ever being this bad and thats the only explanation any one has for this kind of weather
Old 06-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Checkpointracer

It does seem like the weather is getting worse every year, I'm not sure if I buy the global warming thing though.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:05 PM
-Inverted-

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and have been through my fair share of storms. Definitely something to take serious. I've never been through tornado, but I have had my fair share of close calls. Proper knowledge and a readily supplied basement work wonders. Other then that, I love the midwest.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:11 AM
s7jstep1

here in red bluff,ca, we are experiencing just the opposite. this winter we got little rain and now there like 3 fires in a radius of about 200 miles and we have high winds to top it off. i am in no danger right now but the area where i usually drive my rcs is just a dead field. if it was to catch on fire, it would burn in no time at all. i might not even drive the revo for the summer or at least until i get a source of water out there.