Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

BMX thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:20 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: BMX thread

Technically a hard tail mountain bike, but I run it at the park most of the time. 243 4130chromo, sun/ringle double wide wheelset, beefy maxxis holly roller 3.0's, FMF smack daddy crank, s&m fullguard sprocket, its a beast.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:51 PM
9five9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Technically a hard tail mountain bike, but I run it at the park most of the time. 243 4130chromo, sun/ringle double wide wheelset, beefy maxxis holly roller 3.0's, FMF smack daddy crank, s&m fullguard sprocket, its a beast.

Love it. I have a Trek Bruiser, but I kept the cassette and front brake on it. Freeride bikes are like a hybrid BMX/mountain bike. I love them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51662.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1430246  
Old 05-03-2010, 08:58 PM
rc18junky

i am up in age but i did ride in the 80s and 90s when it was still called freestyle and was a good rider and still have a little in the tank riding some old school flatland around the neighborhood
Old 05-03-2010, 09:05 PM
rc18junky

sorry i bubble posted
Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 PM
9five9

sorry to stretch the topic....but.....I'm likin the elliptical in the background....the wife and I just got one last week.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:51 PM
rc18junky

its nice if i could just get my wife to use it lol when we seen it she was like i would ride it every day but now it just collecting dust i took the aa battery out of the trip computer and put then in my controller
Old 05-05-2010, 08:31 PM
madmax22

I just picked up a GT power series pro for my birthday to race this summer

Old 05-10-2010, 08:48 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

a history lesson for you youngsters out there

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc4gJw-AfeI[/youtube] (59 sec. is what i was doing when i broke my bars)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IByiDlL7H6Y[/youtube]
Old 05-11-2010, 06:55 PM
rc18junky

man at one time i could do almost all of them tricks the bar endo, miami hopper ,the cherry picker, 360 ,bar hops, surfing on the bars ,rock walks, boomerang were some om my best that brings back some memory. i can still do the miami hopper and miama hopper extensions give me a few days and i post some pics here. i seen a few haro master, skyway streetbeats , hutch trick stars in the vid . 59 sec in the dude was on a trick star i could do that to lol. that some thin dyno bars you have hooligan i had a dyno at one time there were made by GT. my favorite bike was my SE racing quadangle i cracked it by the set clamp and sold it and got the florescent green haro master and some tuff 2 graphite mags but i cracked the back one
Old 05-11-2010, 09:39 PM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See that's what I think of when I hear BMX. Or freestyle. Those white plastic 5 spoke wheels. I came from a poor neighborhood, so all I had was a crappy Huffy wannabe BMX. But some of the kids, the older ones in particular, would ride around on the real deal. Most likely stolen, I'm afraid. Real hooligans, a few of them.

Everything was bright, flourescent colors and made of pure awesome.

For the past 15 years, I've had a Bianchi mountain bike. By today's standards, it is "old school", being basically just a road bike with big tires.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:25 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not old enough to have been riding bikes like that, I started riding on volume frames...
Old 05-12-2010, 01:06 PM
suburban_hooligan

the florescent and neon colors a mag wheels damn nearpredate me. that was popular in the 80's and into the early 90'sand i was born in 83, didn't start really riding until like 92, got the bike i have now in 94/95. so i kinda missed out on a lot ofthat stuff, never did have a set ofskyway mags ether(theyreproduce them now!). but that style is what i was exposed to and its what appealed to me so its whati mimickedand it became my style.
what's cool isvintage BMX is starting to get big where im from. people are starting to find and restore the older bikes and there are shows and swap meets for them. that's one of the thingsthat made me put my bike back together and start riding again. the scene is coming back, gotta represent
Old 05-12-2010, 01:32 PM
elven wizard

Brings back memories. Had many BMX bikes. If I get time I will take a picture of what I have and post up. Remember the PK Ripper ? or Kuwahara or Robison had them and a Redline too. All great bikes. I like to get into BMX riding this summer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56543.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	680.8 KB
ID:	1434933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42074.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1434934  
Old 05-12-2010, 02:50 PM
suburban_hooligan

i know a guy who has a PK ripper, helets his 6 year old son ride it.
afew guys i rode withback in middle schoolhad some cool hand me down bikes. oneguy hada redline (forget the model)another had a hutch windstyler. i also remember a mongoose and a couple diamondbacks. and somebody i knew had a powerlite. im brain farting on who
iv never actually seen a Robison but i hear they were bad ass. Kuwahara, iv herd the name a couple times. but don't know anything about them.
there were some bad ass bikes built back in the day
sad thing ishalf those company's are probably out of business or owned by larger company's/corporations and suck now
Old 05-12-2010, 03:55 PM
elven wizard

I dont know if it was cause I was around that old school bmx era then but it seems like the bikes then were really cool. The names of them were cool too. I dont know what's going on with bmx today I just know the old stuff. The Robison I have is, from what I am told is worth $$$ it's one of the earlier frames. It's damn lite to. All the jumping I did on that thing not a hairline crack in it.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:00 PM
mechanizeddeath

Yeah that's the way it goes. I was always more into skateboarding, and I watched as a lot of smaller brands went out of business or got swallowed up by larger companies. A lot of that happened about a decade ago, as skateboarding transformed from a niche hobby into a mainstream sport. I drive past my old skate spots sometimes and wonder why there are no kids there, that's when I realize that even the smallest communities have their own skate parks now, so kids don't need to waste their time on a dumb loading dock. [&:]

I've heard that old school BMX is coming back. I'm a big dude and would no doubt look ridiculous on one, but that wouldn't stop me from getting one if I could afford it. Got too much money tied up in RC, for one.

My mountain bike is also from 95, I look at it sometimes and can't believe it is that old. Even the shop I bought it from has been gone for years. There's some cracks in the paint and very mild surface rust in places, but overall it has held up well for something I didn't exactly baby.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:48 PM
suburban_hooligan

ORIGINAL: mechanizeddeath
I drive past my old skate spots sometimes and wonder why there are no kids there, that's when I realize that even the smallest communities have their own skate parks now, so kids don't need to waste their time on a dumb loading dock. [&:]
at one point iv been an aggressive inline skater, a skateboarder and a BMXer. i feel sorry for these kids today. having to live so in the box and by the rules, wearing pads. i can remember staking out spots for weeks. just to skate or ride there for an hour. hanging out in the ally/loading docks/parking lotbehind whatever store cobbling together crappy makeshift ramps and obstacles out of wooden pallets, cardboard boxes and whatever we could pull out of the dumpster.pulling new tricks, getting hurt and braging about both at school the next day. today all kids have to do is be good little sheep and go to the skate park. were itssafe, prefabricated andlaidout for them, no creativity or imagination required
Old 05-12-2010, 06:32 PM
mechanizeddeath

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

at one point iv been an aggressive inline skater, a skateboarder and a BMXer. i feel sorry for these kids today. having to live so in the box and by the rules, wearing pads. i can remember staking out spots for weeks. just to skate or ride there for an hour. hanging out in the ally/loading docks/parking lot behind whatever store cobbling together crappy makeshift ramps and obstacles out of wooden pallets, cardboard boxes and whatever we could pull out of the dumpster. pulling new tricks, getting hurt and braging about both at school the next day. today all kids have to do is be good little sheep and go to the skate park. were its safe, prefabricated and laid out for them, no creativity or imagination required
Oh heck yeah! While I don't exactly miss running and/or hiding from the cops, there was a certain thrill to it. There was that brief period, the date of which varied from place to place, where parks hadn't caught up with the popularity explosion. I think that was a big part of it, not just safety: kids getting the cops called on them by overzealous landlords. And then an outcry from parents, about how their kids had no place to skate without being in violation of something. There was a particularly nice set of stairs downtown that you could skate for about 5 minutes tops before a cruiser rolled up and switched on his lights. Around here, it was hard to find an unwaxed curb as the nearest park was almost an hour away. Now there's one in the mall next to an Abercrombie & Fitch store.

Now that I think of it, I don't think most business even bother with "NO SKATEBOARDING (etc)" signs anymore. They used to be posted everywhere. We were lucky enough that the nearby middle school let us use their supply loading dock as much as we wanted. That got messed up too though, when a completely unrelated group of kids vandalized the back of the building with fake gang graffitti.

I feel like such an old man now and I'm just into my 30s. I remember us raiding construction site dumpsters for wood scraps, then nailing them together into a crude ramp or box. One kid got plans and lumber to build an actual half pipe in his back yard - the thing was tiny, but it was a real half pipe and we could skate it.

I know every generation before has said it, but I gotta say it too: "Kids these days..."
Old 05-12-2010, 09:10 PM
butt_housed247

landlords were paranoid that kids would get hurt and the parents would sue.  the waxing of curbs and the grinding of rails destroys and defaces the property.  and kids outside causing ruckus isn't good for business.  it wasn't an issue when 5 guys in the city were doing it, but when 5000 were doing it, its a different story.   that's why skateboarding was a crime.  at least where i was from.  but that was before i had started skating. 

i grew up being told to go to the skate park.  but i always preferred the urban wastelands to the perfectly sculpted skate parks.  i spent a lot of my early teen's scoping out potential spots, running like hell, sitting on the curb, and dumpster diving.  maybe im weird idk, but i had more fun spending a couple weeks on the hunt for wood to make a ramp than i did skating a ramp at some skate park.

i was also lucky enough to have a friend who had a mini ramp in his backyard.  one summer the hole neighborhood was hanging out over there.  10 to 20 of us (skaters and BMXer's)  would ride that ramp for 11 hours a day everyday all summer long.  man to be 8 again, best summer ever.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:56 PM
elven wizard

Here's my Robinson