Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

2012 doomsday?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:24 PM
airoscar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 doomsday?

have you seen this? i came across this video by chance, and find out that someone made a prediction or something, about the end of mankind in 2012, frankly Discovery Channel made a documentary on this. i wonder if this is scientific.

nevertheless, its an amazing video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zvCUmeoHpw&fmt=22
Old 01-12-2009, 01:27 AM
emaXXman123
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 2012 doomsday?

i dont believe in this...nostradomis (sp?) just got tired of writing
Old 01-12-2009, 01:45 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't believe a word of it. Every 10 years some group claims the world is going to end. I know there are lots of coincidental similarities between Nostradamus' predictions and past events - but look at how ambiguous his writings are. They're so vague they can be easily interpreted to support anything.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:46 AM
ElectricGuy007

It's just like people telling me the world is gonna end in 2013, and it's in the bible. I dont beileve it.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:53 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember reading a list compiled ( I think it was on wiki) of all the major groups/religions/people/prophets etc and their various predictions for the end of the world. There was hundreds. About every three months someone has predicted the end of the world for hundreds of years and guess what. No one has ever been even close to being correct, this is no different. There will not be the end of the world in 2012.

EDIT: Not the list I saw but this gives a good idea of how often the end is predicted incorrectly.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/end_wrl2.htm
http://www.bible.ca/pre-date-setters.htm
Old 01-12-2009, 02:36 AM
splcrazy

yeah they say that the MYAN calander finishes on the year 2012 meaning that the end of the world will happen , and that the myans made predictions that has come true up untill now .

anyway it prob would be good if the end of the world came at 2012 or sooner cos then i wont have to pay back my credit cards .
Old 01-12-2009, 03:27 AM
[email protected]

it's the end of the long count in the myan calander. The other thing is that the sun will line up with the milky way galaxy and this only happens every 25000 years or something like that. it won't be the end of the world but the myan predict that many things will happen like a great war and mass destruction like earth wind and fire stuff.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:34 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

2012 would be a good doomsday, because We are running for President of the United States in 2016.

Our platform will be NO MORE DOOMSDAYS.

Vote ThunderbirdJunkie '16. SavageJim has yet to put in a bid to be Our running mate.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is essentially a religious topic, and while my instinct is to lock it right now, I'll leave that decision to a community moderator, as so far, there is no religious content. If it stays that way, maybe the thread may be allowed, but I expect it will be locked.

I have not seen the video (I'm at work), but I think I've probably seen or read all the content before.

So, I have the following to add... I've read deeply into this, and the first thing to understand, is that the word 'apocalypse' is a Greek word, and in western culture, due to bible translations, the word has come to mean the end of days. This is not correct. The word means discovery, or revelation (that's a posh word for 'a revealing', nothing more).

The mayan calendar does not exactly stop (it's tough to explain, read link below). The interesting thing is though, that the mayan calendar is astronomy based from a time when astronomy did not exist. The mayan calendar even takes into account the expansion rate of the universe, something which we have only been able to do since the invention of the microchip.

So what's my point... Not the end of the world, but potentially, a major cosmic event. All signs do point to it.

Some reading for all of yallz, before you form uninformed opinions (you need to read some of the referred texts as well to gain a decent understanding)...

Pay particular attention to the 'Metaphysical Speculations' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012

Mayan Calendar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayan_calendar

PS. This is pretty silly stuff to be honest. The constant danger we face from cosmic events that would wipe us out is significant and real, and there won't be a damned thing we can do about it when it happens. We (this planet), is OVERdue for an extinction level event, fact.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:43 AM
warheadforever

You know, if it does, then it does, if it doesn't, well it doesn't......I don't understand why people make such a big thing about it.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Mr. Mugen

It is my understanding that some people need something to believe in.....wether it is good or not. Some folks like the idea of controversy....like my neighbor. Some just like to see you wiggle when they mention things like this. I am not one of the above. I believe it is my day to go when my card gets punched and not before. If it is in 2012 then so be it.....who cares? Once your dead.....NO TAXES!!! Who wants to know when their going to die anyway? IMO that would not be something I'd want to know.

Kevin
Old 01-12-2009, 08:45 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Foxy is correct, please leave any religious references out of this discussion. That is a no-no here no RCU.

Ken
Old 01-12-2009, 10:13 AM
slayerphonics

supposedly, the whole galactic alignment is going to cause some over saturation of cosmic rays and induce some cataclysmic world destruction, I don't buy all of it, but wouldn't it be nice to get a break from the same old. Getting tired of the circus show anyways LOL

Now there could be some truth in the alignment thing, because it will be the height in solar activity as well and there is ALOT of science that says the sun plays a MASSIVE role on the earths climate.

Just look up how could it not?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Indarican

There are plenty of things in the Universe and our own galaxy that are potentially world ending. Just the littlest thing here or there could set in motion a changing of the earth. We as as humans have things that animals dont have.We adapt,overcome and evolve constantly. We build,create and dream of things greater then what they are. If the earth changes we have things no other species has ever had on this planet. We have the ability (hopefully) to keep our species around for along time. 2012 could be an awakening for us all to really understand that no man is an island and only through cooperation of humans could we ever dare to persevere. It takes a whole tribe to raise a family. We are just one really big tribe. So if 2012 is the end of days or the great spiritual awakening,its about time we wake up and realize exactly what we are. Truly unique by everything we have ever known about this planet. That is why I believe we will keep on going. Only we can destroy ourselves. Only we can save ourselves. This is my opinion, by no means would I force it on anyone. It really all comes down to us. It comes down to how we choose to co-exist and survive as a species on this planet or another. Keith
Old 01-12-2009, 02:46 PM
The Hedgehog

Interesting, this sounds like a religious group that I know of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven%27s_Gate_(cult)
Old 01-12-2009, 03:06 PM
cmerritt

i don't believe it, but that video is really cool.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:02 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember Y2K? Exactly...
Old 01-12-2009, 05:35 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

yeah they say that the MYAN calander finishes on the year 2012 meaning that the end of the world will happen , and that the myans made predictions that has come true up untill now .

anyway it prob would be good if the end of the world came at 2012 or sooner cos then i wont have to pay back my credit cards .
The Mayans dissapeared from the face of the Earth in the 1300's...No bodys, no graves, just gone...Shows how accurate thier predictions were (2012:1300, not exactly close)...
Old 01-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Williwa

Oh don't worry the asteroid would burn up in the atmosphere :P
Old 01-12-2009, 07:34 PM
splcrazy

i wish doomsday was today . maybe the aliens will save us , they also predict that earth will make a major discovery and make contact with aliens at about the year 2011 to 2012

humans will only survive if we find a way of making spaceships capable of braking out of our solar system , earth has no space defence system earth is open to attack at any moment , what we need is better weapons and anti gravity aircraft
Old 01-12-2009, 08:21 PM
[email protected]

ORIGINAL: Indarican

There are plenty of things in the Universe and our own galaxy that are potentially world ending. Just the littlest thing here or there could set in motion a changing of the earth. We as as humans have things that animals dont have.We adapt,overcome and evolve constantly. We build,create and dream of things greater then what they are. If the earth changes we have things no other species has ever had on this planet. We have the ability (hopefully) to keep our species around for along time. 2012 could be an awakening for us all to really understand that no man is an island and only through cooperation of humans could we ever dare to persevere. It takes a whole tribe to raise a family. We are just one really big tribe. So if 2012 is the end of days or the great spiritual awakening,its about time we wake up and realize exactly what we are. Truly unique by everything we have ever known about this planet. That is why I believe we will keep on going. Only we can destroy ourselves. Only we can save ourselves. This is my opinion, by no means would I force it on anyone. It really all comes down to us. It comes down to how we choose to co-exist and survive as a species on this planet or another. Keith

just because we have a brain does not mean we can make it, if you think about it people as a hole are quite dumb but as a small group can be very smart. now think about this Crocadilians have very small brains but most of the brain is dediacated to servial so all they think about is eating sleeping and making baby crocs (good life) and are very good at it. they walked the earth with T-rex as did sharks frogs and turtles.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:31 PM
[email protected]

ORIGINAL: MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

The Mayans dissapeared from the face of the Earth in the 1300's...No bodys, no graves, just gone...Shows how accurate thier predictions were (2012:1300, not exactly close)...
actually they did. they have many cycles and they predicted that there Civilization would end on one of the cycles and it did a self fullfilling prophecy.
this is cool stuff to read and after you do it does give you the willies, they knew more about our solor system then, then we did just 50 years ago.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:25 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

2012 would be a good doomsday, because We are running for President of the United States in 2016.

Our platform will be NO MORE DOOMSDAYS.

Vote ThunderbirdJunkie '16. SavageJim has yet to put in a bid to be Our running mate.
I gladly accept the bid to be TBJ's running mate. Upon our platform I will bring back real cane sugar into our sodas! And as for the corn syrup? Well, we shall stop melting down the corn into syrup, and feed the corn to millions of starving Cows around the world! (More steak for everyone! Haha!)

We shall of course make our platform known in 2012! (LOL )
If something cataclysmic is to happen on 2012, I hope it is an eruption of a great soda volcano that spews out soda with real sugar! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-12-2009, 09:29 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: annie_himself

Remember Y2K? Exactly...
LOL! yeah, that was a joke. one new years eve Y2K, I defiantly watched Mike Judge's Office Space
Old 01-12-2009, 10:02 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: airoscar

have you seen this? i came across this video by chance, and find out that someone made a prediction or something, about the end of mankind in 2012, frankly Discovery Channel made a documentary on this. i wonder if this is scientific.

nevertheless, its an amazing video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zvCUmeoHpw&fmt=22
Intersting vid. Now for the usual SavageJim criticisms (sorry, I cant resist).

First of all, when that planetoid-sized body struck the Earth, I was surprised that the atmosphere was not immediately cooked away and stripped. And I was surprised at how there was no material being ejected into space from the massive energy that even a relatively slow moving body that large would surely have created. And as the explosion was occurring, I was surprised that even massive chunks of the tectonic plates were not lifted like orance peels and some of those being ejected into space or at the very least put into orbit around the Earth. Not only that, the massive hole where that planetoid hit would have exposed lava and other molten materials from the mantle and even outer core. That plaetoid was comprised of molten material it self, so depending on its kinetic energy, it might not get to the Earth's iron core. But if that planetoid were a solid cold rock, and it had enough energy, it could literally go all the way down to the molten iron core, and if what is left of the planetoid still had enough of a solid chunk from the clooision, it could have deflected off or had its path diviated off the denser iron core and want to come up again and possibly exit (causing an exit wound) and taken massive chucks of the Earth with back into space. That is, assuming the material of this planetoid is solid and made up of a very thick material that could be resistent to shattering itself.

The above is assuming a direct hit like in the vid. A more likely even will be a side-swipe. Even that will be deadly in itself. A planetoid that size side-swiping the earth will still be able to strip a considerable amount of atmosphere. Assuming no collision, and the surface of the planetoid skims off the Earth's ground by only a few feet without the two actually touching, the impact to the atmosphere will still be deadly to the biosphere, causing masive extinctions anyways. The atmosphere from the two bodies alone will be ompressed even to a solid state, and when atmosphere's gases return back to their gaseous state, the energy released will creat massive pressure waves, cooking the surface of the Earth all the way around, as the pressure waves go around like ripples in a pool. And when the gases are ompressed into that solid state, they will inevitably press down onto the Earth's ground, pushing the tectonic plates down, and the pressure will be forced onto the molten mantel, causing volcanoes to erupt on the other side or make lava seep out of the seams of other abutting tectonic plates. Additionally, as the planetoid leaves, massive amounts of the atmosphere's precious gasses (gasses need for life such as o2, and even water that is vaporised) will be pulled free into space. Moreover, and atmosphereic-sideswipe like this can actually rip up some of the tectonic plates from even the viscosity of the fluid atmosphere, even if they are merely compressed to liquid form. Worse, a moment will be imparted on both the Earth and the planetoid, thus altering thier rotations. If the Earth is side-swiped just right, the Sun will rise from the West instead!

And in a side-swipe, if such a planetoid actually hits the earth, it is a gaurantee that tectonic plates will be peeled up and taken into space with the leaving planetoid or put into orbit around the Earth. In either case, the molten lave of the mantle will be exposed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.