Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Cox Powered cars coming back

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:19 AM
John Cole
My Feedback: (4)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Cox Powered cars coming back

Collecting the old gas cars is fun. A few years ago, I fixed up an old Testors 'Sprite' Indy car (repackaged Wen Mac Indy), took it to a local parking lot, and set it up to run on a tether. Some curious kids gathered, asked the usual questions; where can I buy one, where's the radio, etc.

Once I got it started I let it go, and after a lap or so, it really started building up speed and some inertia. The kids' jaws dropped, and they started to back off a bit, staring in disbelief. They had NO idea what tether cars were about!! Made about six runs, kids were amazed, left the parking lot with a smile on my face, and a faint black ring where the car had been running.

The Cox cars from the 60's were even more impressive. The Chaparral is an animal in the 1/2A world. Straight line or tethered, it was hard to beat. Any of the steel-chassis Cox models are great toys, and fun to run if you dare.

I'd really like to see these cars made again, there's enough of us nostagic goofs to probably make it worthwhile.

John
Old 01-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow John, love the story about the Sprite Indy. So it really hauls eh?

I am fixing one up now. I wonder how should the tether lines be hooked up? I notice there is a loop near the front tire and one also neare the rear tire. Do two lines get hooked up to it?

http://www.vimeo.com/2877380
Old 01-24-2009, 02:40 AM
Motorboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Kmot

I am fixing one up now. I wonder how should the tether lines be hooked up? I notice there is a loop near the front tire and one also neare the rear tire. Do two lines get hooked up to it?

http://www.vimeo.com/2877380
Viola, the engine are working after 40 year unused and stored away..

See the pic how to hook the wire to car..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66207.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1117894  
Old 01-24-2009, 03:09 AM
scottman20006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See this is what iam talking about someone on one past said,yeah about the only people who wil buy them will be us older folks that remember them,and iam saying if maybe kids see them today run, maybe they will be interested in getting them or want them as well,and look right there john runs one in parking lot and kids gathered around and loved what they saw.
Hey john,
what i think you should do is go to autoworlds website,and go to the contact us section and email them with that story. Tom Lowe is president of the compnay would like to hear that iam sure.Also if you had any suggestions or Questions about the vega funny car ,thye could answer them.so dont forgt guys to go there and ask any questions,by the way i did get some info about the motor,his company in china makes them.and he says he has alway ran one.So go to www.autoworldslotcars.com
Old 01-24-2009, 12:19 PM
John Cole

KMOT, there is a wire 'V' shaped bridle that is connected to the car, then the string is tied to that. If you need one, let me know and I'll be happy to send you one. The geometry is kind of important in order to get the car balanced while it's running. I have two of the Testors cars that I run because they made so many of them, and can still be found at a reasonable price.
Yes, they are surprisingly fast! I have had only a couple of failures in the past; crankshaft sheared while the engine was free running, and the fueling nipple on the tank is kind of fragile.

I'm slowly working on getting an old Cox Gurney Indy car ready to run, should be interesting. Just so nobody gets excited, the stuff I run is generally in pretty poor condition. One of my Testors cars is so bad the body is held together with ty-wraps!! My nice stuff stays in their boxes.

Scottman, I like the website! I will be sure to check in with them.

The next time I go out with the cars, perhaps I'll try to get a video made.

John
Old 01-24-2009, 12:32 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-in-the-1940s/

http://www.tethercar.net/index.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/28/ny.../28carsli.html

Notice the INERTIA Switch on the ignition
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=280837
Any one for a U-Tube trip? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RUuQgvVOzk

Old 01-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Kmot

Thanks for the graphics, guys! I think I understand now what it needs.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:46 PM
scottman20006

I do have a Question for you john,How big is the circle your running?? and what are you using for a post or Anchor for the line to run around???.Also I live in muncie,Indiana and just 20 minutes away from anderson,Indiana home of one of only 3 tether tracks in the USA.I think i might have to get a couple old ones and go run them,john which ones did you say they mad a lot of that are still reasonable priced???

Kmot,nice Video.alittel troubles but not much and it sounded really good still.so when will you post pictures of the finished product???
Ok,i hateto sound like a broken record but please anybody you guys know and you too please go to autoworlds website and ask them questions and give your suggestions,and when the car comes out hope everyone buys one.if so he assured me more will come,hey maybe we can all suggest another Dan Gurney car or maybe an AJ Foyt front engine Ride.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:58 PM
w8ye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=555aeQlPprY&NR=1

We used to run the Cox with the 049 Babe Bee propeller engine on a 30' line
Old 01-24-2009, 03:22 PM
scottman20006

Those are cool but one problem,not really a mfgr that makes them,most of them are made on the side by someone and they cost,over $2000.00.and this is another reason why iwant to seethese cox gas cars come back,its a cheaper way of running tether line cars and not breaking the bank to do it.i understand that these cox cars will not go 200mph but thery will haul the mail and be fun to play with.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:26 PM
w8ye

I had the Cox air boat with the Babe Bee airplane engine and also the air car. They were very successful, trouble free, and easy to use.

If the boat hit the other bank the engine didn't fry itself. The car was the same way but the car was tethered and usually just ran out of gas.

I remember running the boats in a free running mode. You would spend some time trying to crank that McCoy rear rotor 29 with the string around the flywheel and you had to get the boat in the water fast to keep from cooking engine. The boat had to be thrown into the water with as much forward motion as possible to keep the water prop from stalling the engine down. Then we had to chase after the boat in a real boat so if it hit the bank on the opposite side of the lake before running out of gas, we could jump out and dunk the prop in the water to choke the McCoy down so the engine didn't cook itself too bad.

With the Cox air boat the engine wouldn't cook itself but would just set there and run if the prop didn't hit something and stop the engine
Old 01-24-2009, 05:55 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The one I had as a kid in the 70's. Had a prop on the back. You put a nail in the street. Tethered it down and fired it up. It was fun until the string broke. After that it did a Sweed Savage imitation on the curb.[]

david
Old 01-24-2009, 06:03 PM
w8ye

They use pretty Hefty wire on them now. It is something like .035" on the 1.5cc engines and they run 35' line to the tether
Rules: http://amrca.com/rulebook/rulebook.doc
Class I 1.5cc .9mm (.035 in.) change at 286 km/h (178 MPH)
Class II 2.5cc 1.2mm (.047 in.) change at 306 km/h (190 MPH)
Class III 3.5cc 1.4mm (.055 in.) change at 312km/h (195 MPH)
Class IV 5cc 1.5mm (.059 in.) change at 310km/h (192 MPH)
Class V l0cc 2.0mm (.079 in.) change at 345km/h (214 MPH)

A Saito powered car 1988
Old 01-24-2009, 06:49 PM
John Cole

Scottman, my line is 18', or a 36' circle. I tried 24' once, it was difficult getting the car started on its path. I kept nibbling line away until I got to where it is now. The Cox cars may run on longer lines, I'm pretty sure. My center post is just a framing nail, the kind that can be easily removed (double head).

The car I mentioned is the Testors 'Sprite' Indy car. Coca Cola used them for a promotion around 1969-1972, mail in your bottle caps, get a gas car!! It was a remake of the earlier Wen Mac yellow Indy car like Kmot is restoring. The cars themselves are decent. The design is ok, but sometimes the body screws strip out, and that's a problem (as with most plastics). After every few runs, I take mine apart to clean and inspect. They do require routine maintenance. You will see them come along often on the auction site.

The big cars are awesome! W8ye, thanks for the pictures and links. I used to have a McCoy *Railton* (or something like that). Brute of a car. I was affraid to run it, sold it before I had the chance to mess it up!!

John
Old 01-24-2009, 07:30 PM
w8ye

The other guy I ran these cars with had one that had the left rear wheel attached directly to the crankshaft. It was an all white O&R29 see the picture at the bottom of the page.

We were using .012" solid wire on the aluminum cars and nylon string on the Cox air car and we were using a tennis court to run them. The posts would lift out of pockets. It was smooth. The wire broke one day and that put an end to my nice Cox/Cameron car. I was only 12 yrs old and another part to that story is that I was using my bicycle rear wheel to start the aluminum cars. I was holding on to one of the chain stays and turning the pedal with the other hand. Some how my hand slipped on the chain stay and a spoke took off my thumb nail. The temperature was in the low 50's and that sure did ache. I had to ride the bike home with that sore thumb.

you will notice in the videos that a guy has to support the wire until the car gets above 45 mph and then he jumps up on a little platform. The California track is recessed between the actual track and the pylon.
This picture if visible is of the Long Island track

Name:	Xv65045.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1118511  
Old 01-24-2009, 09:33 PM
scottman20006

Yeah i remember the sprite promotion,you could choose either the indy car or the Sprite Airplane,saw one at an antique store going for over $250.00 unused in the box.will iam oging to start bidding on some indy cars myself and try and restore a couple for running.
there is a nice baja beetle on ebay,great body and missing rear wheels an axle.but everthing else is in good shape,it would good fixer upper,if you could then find rear wheels and Axle and gear.iam very excited about the Vega Funny Car coming out.he said it will also come with launcher and tetherline parachute.everything you need to drag race it.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Kmot

There is a thread started in the boat forums about tether boats. Those things are beasts. Check it out.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:55 PM
scottman20006

Hey Guys.
Guess what I won on ebay last night,first i won a couple testers sprite Indy cars,They are rough but restoreable,One has the wheels,and mising some chrome,other has no wheels,but has alot of the chrome.both have engines,not sure if they run,then i won a Lot Of Part,hesays wil fit the testers or cox indy cars,has two motors,a bunch of chassis parts,and i think like tow complete set of wheels,I think even front end parts as well,I got both of this ebay auctions for a combine total of $71.00,cant wait t ostart restoring them.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:57 PM
scottman20006

i have a question and i dont know if anyone knows ,will the wheels from the dan gurney car fit the sprite car and vise versa???Also What type of control line could i get for the cars??
Old 01-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Kmot

Scott, I had bid on those auctions myself.

Got too rich for my blood.

But you got a great deal. You should be able to build two complete cars and have spare engines and tires till kingdom come!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:11 AM
John Cole

Scott, looks like you're on your way! If you need parts in the future, let me know. I have a plastic tub of spares around here somewhere.

Answer to your wheel question; Nope, front or rear wheels won't fit. I guess you could do some mods and make something work, I'm not sure. Here are some pictures..

Also, I have taken other pictures of some Cox cars. Let me know if you want to see them!

Name:	Ki20691.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1119979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22784.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1119980  
Old 01-26-2009, 11:17 AM
John Cole

Oops, meant to add some notes about the pictures. The rear wheels on the older Gurney car are cast magnesium and the axle is tapered. The Testors/WenMac rear is hex. The front axle on the Gurney is smaller diameter. The wheels on all of the Testors cars are molded nylon, and hold up pretty well.

John
Old 01-26-2009, 02:03 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

just signing into the thread.

I'd love to get ahold of a few of the classic cars. Owned a vega, buggy, sand blaster and the prop driven tether car when I was a kid. Also had the Testors beattle. With the exception of having to replace the pull start cables on the buggies every so often, they were a blast and I ran them for quite a few years. Handed them off to a local collector when I moved years ago.

My favorite was the Cox tether Mustang my friend had - had two lines, one for a throttle that looped back to the operator from the center pylon.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:23 PM
scottman20006

Cool,.. thanks john..,i might hit you up for some chrome parts if you have any,I need a couple windshields for sure,oh I found a guy on ebay and he scans orignal good decals and prints off new ones,get this he is going to get me a couple complete set of decals for my tesers Sprite rebuilds.by the way john didnt you have some of those V shape wires to attach the nylon line to?? i might need a couple of those too.my it will be alittle while on those. yeah i found out about the wheels from the seller,good thing is the lot of parts i won fit either wen mac yellow car ,or sprite indy car,they were basically the same car,dan gurney car like you said were different and even made by a whole other company,but iam good on that.
Kmot.... it didnt get that rich buddy, i got the two cars for only $31,and got the one lot of parts for $30.plus combine shipping got all that for only $71.00,.To me thats a steal!!!!!,not to mention,4 motors between the two auctions!!.by the way how hard is it to disassmebled the engines and getting them back together???
Hey welcome bob27,hope you read about the company here in Indiana is bring back the Cox Vega Funny Car this Summer!!!!!
go to the wbsite i listed in the first thread,there will be info on the website about the car but not for a couple months.if thye do well with this one ,thye are thinking of doing the Dune Buggy,or the Baja Beetle.
Kmot I checked out those videos of the tether Boats ,WOW!! they haul Ass.they were cool.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:29 PM
w8ye

I always thought you had to make your own vee shaped bridle wires from piano wire from the hobby shop. They are made like the post early on in this thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.