Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Cox Powered cars coming back

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:16 PM
scottman20006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cox Powered cars coming back

Yeah that was dumb of me,i guess i could just go and get piano wire and make it.Sorry.
I do know the guy i bought the testers indy cars,he has been around awhile,and he has some great cond cars in his own collection.cant wait to start restoring mine.this will get my by until Tom at Autoworld Brings out the vega funny car,LOL.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: scottman20006

by the way how hard is it to disassmebled the engines and getting them back together???
Piece of cake! As long as the motor turns over freely. If it is gummed up and frozen, PITA!

If it is stuck, unstick it. Use fuel ($$$) to soak it in or the crockpot method. I used the crockpot method to get mine to unstick enough to disassmble it and then I used Mckays parts dip to get it clean. The crockpot method does not get motors 'really clean' in my experience.

Here ia a picture of it in its various parts, after soaking in a crockpot on low temp for three days:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77959.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1121045  
Old 01-28-2009, 01:17 PM
scottman20006

ok so whats PITA?? If its stuck or frozen isnt that the same thing??? i cant wait ,i kinda had an idea for one of them,but iam not sure if i could do it,and it wouldnt be an exact copy but kinda close,i would like to paint one of them green,white yellow strip down the nose and around the tip of the nose and make it look like Jim Clarks 1968 indy car, i could paint all the engine pipes Yellow,and do that Dark Green on the body.What do you guys think??? also I could do one of the STP rear Engine cars too.
BY the way I have a guys email off of ebay.and anyone needing a set of Orig testers Sprite Indy Decals,he can do them.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Patxipt

PITA is the same as Pain In the A...uh, I mean,rear
Old 01-28-2009, 02:14 PM
scottman20006

oh ok, thanks.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Kmot

ORIGINAL: scottman20006

i kinda had an idea for one of them,but iam not sure if i could do it,and it wouldnt be an exact copy but kinda close,i would like to paint one of them green,white yellow strip down the nose and around the tip of the nose and make it look like Jim Clarks 1968 indy car,
You stole my idea!

Old 01-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Motorboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I has scanned the pic who are tell how to balance the car and fitting the wire where the centre of gravity are placed and how long are the wire from poole to car.
The pictures are scanned of the book "ПоÑобие Ð´Ð»Ñ Ð°Ð²Ñ‚Ð¾Ð¼Ð¾Ð´ÐµÐ»Ð¸Ñтов" (The allowance for model car) by E. M. Gusyev and M. S. Osipov.

Name:	Ro42039.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1121937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23807.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1121938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd81073.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1121939  
Old 01-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Kmot

Thank you, Motorboy! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-29-2009, 09:58 PM
scottman20006

Kmot how many do you have ,of the indy cars?? and do you own any other cox models??he y if i get my indy cars done by july of this year which iam sure i will,I might run them at a real tether car track in anderson Indiana,since its only 25mins from my house.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:30 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You must be a lucky one to live near one of the three best tracks in the USA
Old 02-02-2009, 10:04 PM
scottman20006

Yeah w8ye,
its nice not to mention less than five minutes from my house is a Park that has a couple control line tether circles for the planes and the one is a much smaller circle,that they dont use but could be use for the cars.
By the way There is a guy on ebay selling a cox indy car like the dan gurney,but its red and has the number 48,which would be a replica of Bobby Unsers 1967 or 1968 indy car.also did you guys now that testers did a few special edition CHROME sprite Indy cars,Yeah I seen one for sell on ebay in mint condition and he wants a Buy now Price of $265.00.
iam going to keep trying to buy cheap ones and fix them up,and I would like to find people close to indiana,and maybe form a small club,to where we could get together about once a month and run these cox tether cars all models.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:02 AM
Kmot

scottman, I have only the one Wen Mac indy car that I am restoring. I have no other tether cars of any brand. I tried to buy some more, but I keep getting outbid.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:49 AM
scottman20006

SOrry Kmot I hope I did just outbid you last night on a testers Indy car,Its Dirty,But it has everything,nothing is missing.its the one that was on ebay and it had the pull cord in the picture laying next to the car.i got it for a steal,i waiting til the last minute and got the car for only$59.00
Kmot watch them and dont bid early,just sit abck and see what they go for and it its gettingreal close and the bids arent going up,then wait til about 5 mins to go and bid on it.There are still alot on ebay,did you see the Bobby unser red #48.and did you see the tester indycar thats white with blue and has #98 ,watch these cars and dont bid the earlier you bid it just causes someone else to bid and makes the cost higher ,so sit back and then go in for the kill at the last minute to where,its hard for them to out bid you,and if the bidding ends kinda late at night thats a good thing.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:40 AM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope they re-issue the Cox Thimble -Drone Mercedes Benz GP Racer. Sold mine a few tears back on Ebay- had 40 yaers and regret that decision. To me , that was THE Tether car of the sixties !
Old 02-03-2009, 11:10 AM
scottman20006

F.Imbriaco .
Well like i been stating on here,if the vega funny car does good were hoping that Autoworld/Round2 will do other models.they said if this one does well,and then the next one will be between the Dune Buggy(the Orig 60's Cox Car)or they will do the Baja Beetle.the more people we can get to email them at Autoworld,and the more we can spread the word,and hopefully the more they will sell.I cant wait for the Funny Car.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:57 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the Bug, Sand blaster, Spider Dragster, and the van with the little programming disc to make it drive patterns.

Andy
Old 02-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Ram Jet

The last 60 seconds if you are brave. That instant bid feature is a killer.

Bill
Old 02-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Ram Jet

THE tether car of the 50s was the Dooling with a Dooling .61 engine. I agree with you about the Mercedes. I like the Gurney Eagle also. It will be a cold day in hell before i spend the asking prices for these plastic cars. A Dooling .61 maybe. You probably won't see any Cox cars reissued due to lack of market interest. It's possible that Estes may have the rights to the designs and since they folded up Cox it would appear that they have little interest. Estes made it clear that they weren't interested in producing the quality engines that LeRoy Cox mandated. Hello flea bay. Tether cars are about as interesting to young modelers as control line aircraft. Think remote and buttons. But, the average young person has no mechanical inclination at all anymore - anyway.

Bill
Old 02-03-2009, 09:08 PM
scottman20006

RamJet,
I have to disagree with you on a few issues.
first off Tom Lowe of Autoworld/Round2 is bringing back the Vega Funny car,Cox Powered,But he isnt calling it Cox Powered ,But Gas Powered.And he says If This Vega Funny car does well,He might do other models.And yes Cox/Estes have no desire bringing any cox powered cars back ,a few years ago ,they Stop making the Cox motors all together.But Tom at Autoworld has his company in china making a Cox Style Motor. Also You can get like the Dan Gurney Indy car in Decent condition for as low as $70,i just bought a tester indy car last night for $59 and its not missing anything.As far as Kids not being interested did you read John Cole Little Story,where he went to a parking lot and ran the Testers Indy car and within minutes he had Kids gathered Around watching the car run,and he said all of them ask were could Buy one of these cars at???? So i Think its the right time to do this,and look at all the old toys coming back in the stores,Creepy Crawlers,Vintage Hot Wheel sets,Toss Across,Rock-N-Bowl....Etc,Etc.and look at the market on ebay for all these Cox Powered cars,they are going for hundreds of Dollars,these are all signs that something like these could come back and do well.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Ram Jet

Hey Scotty, I hope you are right about the kids being interested. A friend of mine in Australia recently told me that he flys control line within 200 yards of a local school. None of the kids that can hear the engines bother to come over. Heck, when I was a kid I would have gone running to see what all the commotion was about. Maybe it depends on ewhere you live. My girlfriend used to run a daycare where I did some volunteer work. I tried to get the kids interested in control line flying and even building plastic static model cars. I never got past paper airplanes. Nope, TV and video games fired their boilers. From my experience kids don't have the patience to see a build through or attempt to trouble shoot an engine that misbehaves. Grab a toy, put in batteries, push a button. I'm bored. Back to video games. i think it's the video game/instant gratification thing. Please don't get me wrong. I'm sitting here with a 1959 Thimble Drome Curtiss Pusher and Cox Extra 300S hanging from my ceiling. I would love a Gurney Eagle with a decent engine in it. I would even loan my 1959 .049 Baby Bee to the project. If the Eagle or Mercedes are ever re-released I want to know about it.

Long live tether cars. If you like tether cars you can (almost) own a piece of history by buying, at usually a pretty reasonable price, a reproduction of the old 1951 Thimble Drome Champion car made by Nylint. It's nicer than anything Roy Cox built and I had an original. Hurry to your favorite auction site and nail one because Nylint is out of business now. You won't be diappointed. Oh, and I would buy the little pusher prop hydroplane boat in a heartbeat.

Regards,
Bill

Name:	Jh15743.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	1126967  
Old 02-05-2009, 09:06 AM
scottman20006

Kmot
You have a PM from Me.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Kmot

Got it Scott, thanks!
Old 02-05-2009, 01:00 PM
scottman20006

you got another one Kmot
Old 02-07-2009, 12:47 PM
John Cole
My Feedback: (4)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There is quite a difference in the Indy cars produced by Wen Man/ Testors and the Cox Gurney Eagle. I'm currently preparing a Cox Gurney (upright engine version) to run. I'll give you a report on how it goes!

The red 'Gurney' car is quite rare, it was made in 1970 only, and not many were produced. The blue Gurney is the first version with the side mounted engine and magnesium engine carrier and wheels.

By comparison, the Gurney is somewhat larger than the Testors model, and technically more interesting (IMHO).

Toys are good!!!

John

Name:	Ki20123.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1129498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86547.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1129499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81591.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1129500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw62729.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1129501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm76503.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1129502  
Old 02-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Kmot

That's a superb collection of pristine examples of the genre John! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Still waiting for some video of one of these jewels tearing up the tarmac.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.