Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Let's hear what you have for the 1:1 real car??

Old 03-22-2012, 03:52 PM
retransit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Let's hear what you have for the 1:1 real car??

The skip shift feature as installed by GM has a solenoid that forces the shifter from first to fourth. The SLP unit fools the stock unit so you can select your own upshift. Easy to install.

See:
http://marylandspeed.com/slp-skipshi...008-p-145.html

Bob
Old 03-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Sessholvlaru

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My 6-speed Challenger also came with that darn skip shift. I need to install an eliminator, they are only $20.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Lunchboxer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The price is very reasonable.. glad that it is an easy fix.. !

Quote:
ORIGINAL: retransit

The skip shift feature as installed by GM has a solenoid that forces the shifter from first to fourth. The SLP unit fools the stock unit so you can select your own upshift. Easy to install.

See:
http://marylandspeed.com/slp-skipshi...008-p-145.html

Bob
Old 03-23-2012, 04:05 AM
cumminspower5.9

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just wondering, how old are you guys that get these nice cars? I've been driving an '01 accent for 2 years and would love to get a nice car. my wife has a '97 camry. I make pretty decent money (atleast i think so) as i am a draftsman for nucor/vulcraft, but it still doesnt seem like there is enough money there lol. either i am underpaid or just not yet at that point in life lol. im only 21.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:06 AM
Sessholvlaru

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

Just wondering, how old are you guys that get these nice cars? I've been driving an '01 accent for 2 years and would love to get a nice car. my wife has a '97 camry. I make pretty decent money (atleast i think so) as i am a draftsman for nucor/vulcraft, but it still doesnt seem like there is enough money there lol. either i am underpaid or just not yet at that point in life lol. im only 21.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 AM
retransit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When I was 21 years old I bought a new 1966 GTO while in the Air Force. Cost $2,965. At 52 I bought the 1996 Trans Am for $27,514. Times change and so do prices. By the way, on the highway I get about 26 mpg with the TA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70483.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1741730  
Old 03-23-2012, 06:33 PM
pythonfan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well finally pulled the trigger on my first car, It's a 1996 Caprice Classic SS with the 5.7l Lt1 v8. In before anyone jumps on me, the vins all around the car read it as a impala ss. The bit of research that i've done leads this to be many things, the ss package, or its an impala but with a caprice body and other sorts of talk but I'm happy with it either way.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFUn7kyHwVI[/youtube]
Old 03-23-2012, 06:50 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ThunderbirdJunkie picks up his new girlfriend-approved boring-mobile Monday.

Not the Subaru Legacy Outback turbo he was itching for, but it'll do...plus unlike the Subaru, it'll still get good gas mileage 6 months from now because it won't be inhaling 15 psi of boost and tearing up transmissions[&:]
Old 03-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Lunchboxer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My '97 Avalon and my sister's '12 Camry.. Toyota FTW? [X(]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ay74530.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	1741946  
Old 03-23-2012, 09:24 PM
The_Shark

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Not the Subaru Legacy Outback turbo he was itching for, but it'll do...plus unlike the Subaru, it'll still get good gas mileage 6 months from now because it won't be inhaling 15 psi of boost and tearing up transmissions[&:]
... Chevy Cruze?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:46 PM
The_Shark

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: pythonfan

Well finally pulled the trigger on my first car, It's a 1996 Caprice Classic SS with the 5.7l Lt1 v8. In before anyone jumps on me, the vins all around the car read it as a impala ss. The bit of research that i've done leads this to be many things, the ss package, or its an impala but with a caprice body and other sorts of talk but I'm happy with it either way.
GULP GULP GULP! that thing is going to EAT gas, its alright when i started driving my 96 dodge dakota 5.2 got 8 MPG.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:49 AM
pythonfan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: The_Shark

Quote:

GULP GULP GULP! that thing is going to EAT gas, its alright when i started driving my 96 dodge dakota 5.2 got 8 MPG.
To be honest that's what i thought but I'm actually getting 18-19 city and i haven't tested highway yet, the 96 lincoln(4.6l v8) i use to drive only got about 16-18city..
Old 03-24-2012, 05:01 AM
Muddin_Mavric

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

here is my ride.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lj23060.jpg
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1741987  
Old 03-24-2012, 06:42 AM
retransit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm curious. What is the 8th digit in your VIN?

The Caprice and Impala bodies are the same. The difference is the trim, upholstery, grille, suspension, paint and interior. I'd like to know why someone would change an Impala SS to a Caprice? That would reduce its value and since the Caprice also offered a 5.7 LT-1, it wouldn't fool anyone in the horspower department.

Bob
Old 03-24-2012, 08:35 AM
yakfish

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is my 04 Jetta GLI VR6 6 speed. I had to sell it a couple weeks ago unfortunatly. I needed something with more room inside for work.

To replace it I just picked up a 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI 5 speed. Just got 52.3 MPG on my first tank driving it home. I have only had it for about a week. the day second day i hd it somonehit my front bumper and left a big red scrub mark[:@] and then drove away. [:@]
Old 03-24-2012, 05:16 PM
pythonfan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

I'm curious. What is the 8th digit in your VIN?

The Caprice and Impala bodies are the same. The difference is the trim, upholstery, grille, suspension, paint and interior. I'd like to know why someone would change an Impala SS to a Caprice? That would reduce its value and since the Caprice also offered a 5.7 LT-1, it wouldn't fool anyone in the horspower department.

Bob
If you feel like digging thru the impalass forums and what not you can get a understanding of what i got. The first 8 Of my vin are 1g1bl52p, if you google the vin a impalass thread pops up with a lot of bs but some solid information from a few guys.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:57 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Quote:
ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

... Chevy Cruze?
No, not new-new, just new to ThunderbirdJunkie. '07, 56k miles, 5 speed, it's a...

Ask questions and find out :P

Quote:

Quote:

The LT1 B bodies are actually pretty good on gas
Old 03-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Toyota Paseo?
Old 03-24-2012, 07:01 PM
proanti1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

So, it's a Caprice, with the vin numbers of an Impala?

Something isn't right there. I would advice getting it checked out by the local sheriff. There are various ways to clean a title, and this looks like it may have been a salvage that was improperly retitled, someone transferred it into a cleaner state to wipe the salvage classification.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:11 PM
yakfish

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: proanti1

Quote:

Something isn't right there. I would advice getting it checked out by the local sheriff. There are various ways to clean a title, and this looks like it may have been a salvage that was improperly retitled, someone transferred it into a cleaner state to wipe the salvage classification.
Carfax will tell you everything you need to know
Old 03-24-2012, 07:35 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: yakfish

Quote:
ORIGINAL: proanti1

Quote:

Carfax will tell you everything you need to know
Carfax ain't know nothin'.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:39 PM
pythonfan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Already had it checked out, the vins are impala ss and the title says its a caprice but the car is a caprice ss. Because of the ss package it comes up as a impala ss, tho the make of the care is a caprice, but when looking for parts i look for the caprice as it has small differences as options and other small things, but for information on how to undo the dash i look up impala because its so well known and its the same car.

As i said above if you dig through the bs on the impala forums you find the truth on the whole mixup and names and etx of the caprice but in general it was the more daily driver i guess over the sport version ie the impala ss? The impala had the floor shifter and a few other rough edges and less options over what the caprice has/had. Pull the body off the car its an impala through and through but get into the nitty gritty then the caprice characteristics pop up.

Anyways, did the first / new car routine ie checked the brakes, rotated the tires, changed the oil/oil filter, air filter, fuel injector cleaner, wipers, brake fluid, added conditioner to the transmission and spit shined it. The most I've down else wise is I've installed a new radio, fixed one of the windows and got rid of the nasty steering wheel cover. The one it had one felt so strange, going to look for another wheel or something a bit more solid then what was on there before. The only thing's ive had to order have been the driver side mirror and windshield washer cap (before we found out the reservoir is leaking around the motor causing it to have really bad suction so that's getting replaced. Other then the above this car is in great shape for its age / mileage, how it does on gas and handling / all electronics work and what not.

EDIT: I figured i would mention the car as is has 212k on the clock, but the motor and tranny are in really good condition and with the body being in such good shape this car you can tell wasn't abused nor beat on. It still has a long life ahead of it, one that I'm sure to enjoy.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 PM
retransit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

pythonfan,

With the 8th digit being a "P", that says it is a 5.7 liter LT-1. That engine in a Caprice came with the B4U towing package, otherwise the engine was a 4.3 liter V8 in sedans. It's funny. The engine in a 1986 Astro van that I owned had a 4.3 liter V6. It was basically a 350 cu. in. V8 with the rear two cylinders loped off.

As far as it being a Caprice SS, I've never heard of one. None made. Impala SS tranny selector was on the column, not on the floor. If you see one on the floor, it has been modified. The wagon and 9C1 police package (optional engine) also had the LT-1 SS engine. All Chevrolet did was resurect the SS with a B body knock-off, blacked out grille, subdued moldings and SS lettering. The Caprice had all the bright work.

The LT-1 rear of the intake manifold has a bad habit of leaking oil and the Opti-Spark usually goes south early. That is why I have replaced mine with an MSD billet unit.

Good luck with yours.

Bob

Edit:
I stand corrected. The last year of production the shifter was moved to the center console.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:31 AM
pythonfan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

pythonfan,

With the 8th digit being a ''P'', that says it is a 5.7 liter LT-1. That engine in a Caprice came with the B4U towing package, otherwise the engine was a 4.3 liter V8 in sedans. It's funny. The engine in a 1986 Astro van that I owned had a 4.3 liter V6. It was basically a 350 cu. in. V8 with the rear two cylinders loped off.

As far as it being a Caprice SS, I've never heard of one. None made. Impala SS tranny selector was on the column, not on the floor. If you see one on the floor, it has been modified. The wagon and 9C1 police package (optional engine) also had the LT-1 SS engine. All Chevrolet did was resurect the SS with a B body knock-off, blacked out grille, subdued moldings and SS lettering. The Caprice had all the bright work.

The LT-1 rear of the intake manifold has a bad habit of leaking oil and the Opti-Spark usually goes south early. That is why I have replaced mine with an MSD billet unit.

Good luck with yours.

Bob

Edit:
I stand corrected. The last year of production the shifter was moved to the center console.
You're correct there was no caprice ss, but the caprice had an option to come with the ss package. It has the true 5.7 v8, suspension, dual headers/exhaust, and so on with the ss package. Though because of the ss package the vins come up as an impala but the title, registration and so on say its a caprice. In the end it's just a strange gm mix up on vins involving the caprice that has since caused a lot of confusion.

Thanks btw, i looked at many cars/trucks and even those this was the first i looked at it was basically stuck in my mind since and in the end after looking at trucks, suv's and other big body cars this was the best deal overall.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:13 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A pic I took of my latest purchase, a 1997 Ranger I grabbed for $1k

Has brand new heads and gaskets, I bought it from a garage that did the work but the guy couldn't pay for it. VERY basic, which is exactly what I wanted. 5-spd manual, crank windows, A/C? Why? I have a split rear window! Haha In all honesty, for trucks, the more basic the more I really enjoy it.

This pic was taken the day I went to go pick up my dads toolboxes (1600 lbs total [&:] ), I had to take it because this is the now finished Walton Hills Ford stamping plant, where a majority of my trucks body and bed came from 15 years ago, and I was allowed to drive INTO the plant. I was a very proud light truck owner that day!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Us52714.jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1742568  

Search this Thread