Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Let's hear what you have for the 1:1 real car??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:43 AM
tommygun32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Let's hear what you have for the 1:1 real car??

45 years old mate. Don't know if my car is a 'nice' car, but it was new when purchased and so was my wife's. I do honestly think that the Pathfinder was the best new car I've ever purchased.

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

Just wondering, how old are you guys that get these nice cars? I've been driving an '01 accent for 2 years and would love to get a nice car. my wife has a '97 camry. I make pretty decent money (atleast i think so) as i am a draftsman for nucor/vulcraft, but it still doesnt seem like there is enough money there lol. either i am underpaid or just not yet at that point in life lol. im only 21.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:07 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: yakfish

ORIGINAL: proanti1

ORIGINAL: pythonfan

Well finally pulled the trigger on my first car, It's a 1996 Caprice Classic SS with the 5.7l Lt1 v8. In before anyone jumps on me, the vins all around the car read it as a impala ss. The bit of research that i've done leads this to be many things, the ss package, or its an impala but with a caprice body and other sorts of talk but I'm happy with it either way.
So, it's a Caprice, with the vin numbers of an Impala?

Something isn't right there. I would advice getting it checked out by the local sheriff. There are various ways to clean a title, and this looks like it may have been a salvage that was improperly retitled, someone transferred it into a cleaner state to wipe the salvage classification.
Carfax will tell you everything you need to know
Carfax ain't know nothin'.
VERY VERY true, i bought a miata and even though car fax said it was never in a accident, when i had rust fixed my body guy said that the side panel was replaced and a long time ago due to the type of welding.

by the way, is the "new car" Mitsubishi? a lancer perhaps? hmmm "boring" and lady approved... turbo..... Volvo T6 S60?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:58 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, there we go, the S is gone and I have about 9 grand to spend on a car.

I think it's going to be a Renaultsport Megane, there's a good one I have my eye on for the right price... Ugly beast, but very fast and very nice handling for a FWD.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:12 AM
tommygun32

Hey Foxy, you get to keep the license plate???
Old 03-27-2012, 06:02 AM
Lunchboxer

S2000 no more?! [X(]

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Well, there we go, the S is gone and I have about 9 grand to spend on a car.

I think it's going to be a Renaultsport Megane, there's a good one I have my eye on for the right price... Ugly beast, but very fast and very nice handling for a FWD.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Foxy

Yep, gone, finished, needed to go, I can't even afford the tires at the moment. Things are really bad over here. Really bad.

Went to see the Renault, no way. Electrics are already starting to go and that's death for such a car. Trunk wouldn't open from the button intended for the purpose. Previous owner had installed a solenoid switch in the interior to open it :O 6 year old car! Shame cos the rest of the car was nice. Back to the drawing board, may still go for an RX8, they are still taxed as 1.3l before a certain date. They drink fuel like you wouldn't believe though. Hm...
Old 03-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Hey Foxy, you get to keep the license plate???
Nah, but that's ok greek license plates are ugly. lol
Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Lunchboxer

So currently you are without a car? Good luck finding the replacement, man!! Keep us posted!!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:27 AM
tommygun32

(whisper...Dubai....whisper...Dubai...whisper....D ubai....)[&:]

Yep, gone, finished, needed to go, I can't even afford the tires at the moment. Things are really bad over here. Really bad.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:03 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Interested in a race ready Hyundai Accent Foxy?? It's even got stickers for added hp lol
Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Foxy

If I could find an RZ like your avatar I'd be all over it.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:02 AM
cumminspower5.9

Tell me about it. i would give up everything for a Supra anyday. I bought Gran Turismo 5 about 2 months ago and have been looking for a Supra to purchase on there since. Finally last week i found an RZ. Now its got 730hp lol. Part of me is complete but not all
Old 03-28-2012, 04:17 AM
Foxy

OK, decided, new car will be a civic type R from 04/05 (EP3), there are a few locally for the right price, going to start seeing them today.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:57 AM
Lunchboxer

Type-R FTW! VTEC just kicked in, yo!

They are cool cars... nice Foxy!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:01 AM
cumminspower5.9

OK, decided, new car will be a civic type R from 04/05 (EP3), there are a few locally for the right price, going to start seeing them today.
What about an EK hatch? swap in a K20 with a 6 speed and ur all set. drop it on adjustable coilovers for handling. just dont rice it out too much
Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 AM
The_Shark

if i wanted to rice i would plop a RX7 turbocharged motor in a first gen miata, then put some chassis stiffeners in there, put in 16" rims and a roll bar, and your done.

i do miss my miata, it was peppy after 40mph, handled like a go-cart and had the best feeling transmission and clutch ever.

i do enjoy the Corvette's power though.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:42 AM
cumminspower5.9

If i had the money and time and want, i would prob stuff in my hundai, a v6 tiburon motor, 7mGTE 60 trim turbo, all wheel drive conversion, maybe 1.5" lowering springs, 16" gold BBS rims, 6 speed conversion. its fantasy but if someone did it, it would be the most badass hyundai accent
Old 03-28-2012, 06:26 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: The_Shark
by the way, is the ''new car'' Mitsubishi? a lancer perhaps? hmmm ''boring'' and lady approved... turbo..... Volvo T6 S60?
Ugh no, no Mitsus. And don't go puttin' words into ThunderbirdJunkie's mouth

Anyway, nothin' special. '07 Jetta 2.5/5 speed. Neat little car. Already more than twice as good on gas as the Jeep[&:]

What about an EK hatch? swap in a K20 with a 6 speed and ur all set. drop it on adjustable coilovers for handling. just dont rice it out too much [img][/img]
If he can't afford tires, an EK/K series swap is kinda out there [&:]

There's a lot involved in a K swap for any Civic. Sure, there are kits...but it's still an assload of time and money.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Lunchboxer

TBJ, got some pics for the new VW?!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:05 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Just what was on the dealer's website...the detail guys there didn't exactly do a bang-up job.

On the test drive, the passenger side mirror turn signal worked. Yesterday upon pickup, it did not. It looks kinda like it was run through an automatic car wash and not dried off. Windows are all streaky and stuff.

Hopefully Sunday ThunderbirdJunkie will have some time to detail it.

Gotta score a new grille that doesn't have the license plate holes drilled in it (Yes, Ohio requires a front plate, but F that noise), fix that turn signal, do some scrubbing, and wear out these Firestones real quick to make way for some Goodyear Eagle GTs, and get a motor and trans rebuild kit for the Jeep. Lotta 1:1 crap to do this summer.

Not much in the plans for the Jetta...Eibach springs, maybe some Koni blues (is this still one of the better riding street suspension combos out there?), good tires, good brake pads, and maybe some autocrossing is in its future.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:39 PM
The_Shark

If i had the money and time and want, i would prob stuff in my hundai, a v6 tiburon motor, 7mGTE 60 trim turbo, all wheel drive conversion, maybe 1.5'' lowering springs, 16'' gold BBS rims, 6 speed conversion. its fantasy but if someone did it, it would be the most badass hyundai accent
yeah but you would still be stuck with a inferior chassis... its sufficient for what it is but for performance modded? ehhh. you would be better off with a tiburon or a genesis.

i know this is all "what if" and "if i had" but im just sayin.

IF i had the dough (and this WILL be done if i keep the car for many years) i would install a shark bite rear suspension, fiberglass C4 front suspension upgrade, a 4 speed auto trans and low pressure twin turbo's
Old 03-29-2012, 04:03 AM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

If i had the money and time and want, i would prob stuff in my hundai,a v6 tiburon motor, 7mGTE 60 trim turbo, all wheel drive conversion, maybe 1.5'' lowering springs, 16'' gold BBS rims, 6 speed conversion. its fantasy but if someone did it, it would be the most badass hyundai accent
yeah but you would still be stuck with a inferior chassis... its sufficient for what it is but for performance modded? ehhh. you would be better off with a tiburon or a genesis.

i know this is all "what if" and "if i had" but im just sayin.

IF i had the dough (and this WILL be done if i keep the car for many years) i would install a shark bite rear suspension, fiberglass C4 front suspension upgrade, a 4 speed auto trans and low pressure twin turbo's
and after typing all that, i figured i could prob drive away in an STi for the same price! lol a used one anyway. but i know what ur sayin. i would probably smack someone if they modded an accent like that. the accent is a 35mpg daily eco car, not a damn sprint car. i've only seen one highly modded accent. im talking body kit, exhaust,internals, chipped and more.and no lie it got beat by a 93 civic dx with a b16 swap lol
Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Lunchboxer

Supra was cool for sure, although the time has moved on.. yes, it can still be tuned to make a lot of power and such as it has a durable block, but I think many cars are probably faster nowadays.. I don't know.. I mean, I would love it just for the heck of it, old school and all, but probably also got to accept the fact that it is not going to be competitive with the modern sports car..

Tell me about it. i would give up everything for a Supra anyday. I bought Gran Turismo 5 about 2 months ago and have been looking for a Supra to purchase on there since. Finally last week i found an RZ. Now its got 730hp lol. Part of me is complete but not all
Old 03-29-2012, 09:31 AM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

Supra was cool for sure, although the time has moved on.. yes, it can still be tuned to make a lot of power and such as it has a durable block, but I think many cars are probably faster nowadays.. I don't know.. I mean, I would love it just for the heck of it, old school and all, but probably also got to accept the fact that it is not going to be competitive with the modern sports car..

Very true. Back in the 90's they were monsters. But with todays lightweight high power/torque cars, it would be left in the dust. Although it would still be a competition if the race was between the supra and anequal power and weight car. The 2jz's pull like a mother. Maybe when i win the lottery or a large amount of cash, ill get one if they aren't extinct by then lol.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:45 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

im not a huge fan of supra's but i disagree that just because its old means that it can get smacked down by all the new cars. cars are pretty primitive, all you need is the proper weight distribution, a firm chassis, good suspension geometry, a decent braking system and a sufficient engine, after all that, everything else is bells and whistles.

heck, the corvette has changed VERY little over the years, essentially the same car untill 84, that was just a slightly tweaked rear suspension and fiber front spring, today all that has really changed is the transmission is attached to the diff and the chassis is aluminum.

sure there are things that help make you a better driver, but its really not the "car" its more of a computer, IE launch control, stability control, traction control, on top of that alot of sporty cars today are "numb" and lethargic, they "handle" great but that doesnt mean that they are capable of handling better than a old car, what i mean by that is the new car is predictable and more sure-footed but may not necessarily put down as many g's and turn sharper.

ive done some really dumb maneuvers, i occasionally take a small lightly used roundabout beyond 40mph (making sure there are no cars or people coming!) in my miata it was very sure footed, but wanted to let go of the road off throttle, and the rear would slip if i wanted it to, my corvette on the other hand sticks like glue, but it over-steers if pushed too hard.

the point im making are the two "handling" criteria, the miata handles better than the corvette in the sense that its very sure footed especially at low speed, but the corvette is able to turn sharper at higher speed, but can be unpredictable at times, the normal driver is going to say the miata blows the corvette away in handling, but a skilled driver (much better than i) could use the corvette's over-steering to an advantage.

same thing where people say that the doge viper is a HORRIBLE handling car, but in the hands of a experienced driver its a very capable race car.

in short, a car that under-steers is a good handling car, but that doesn't make it better than a car that can over-steer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.