Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Let's hear what you have for the 1:1 real car??

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

Supra was cool for sure, although the time has moved on.. yes, it can still be tuned to make a lot of power and such as it has a durable block, but I think many cars are probably faster nowadays.. I don't know.. I mean, I would love it just for the heck of it, old school and all, but probably also got to accept the fact that it is not going to be competitive with the modern sports car..

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

Tell me about it. i would give up everything for a Supra anyday. I bought Gran Turismo 5 about 2 months ago and have been looking for a Supra to purchase on there since. Finally last week i found an RZ. Now its got 730hp lol. Part of me is complete but not all
    im not a huge fan of supra's but i disagree that just because its old means that it can get smacked down by all the new cars. cars are pretty primitive, all you need is the proper weight distribution, a firm chassis, good suspension geometry, a decent braking system and a sufficient engine, after all that, everything else is bells and whistles.

heck, the corvette has changed VERY little over the years, essentially the same car untill 84, that was just a slightly tweaked rear suspension and fiber front spring, today all that has really changed is the transmission is attached to the diff and the chassis is aluminum.

sure there are things that help make you a better driver, but its really not the "car" its more of a computer, IE launch control, stability control, traction control, on top of that alot of sporty cars today are "numb" and lethargic, they "handle" great but that doesnt mean that they are capable of handling better than a old car, what i mean by that is the new car is predictable and more sure-footed but may not necessarily put down as many g's and turn sharper.

ive done some really dumb maneuvers, i occasionally take a small lightly used roundabout beyond 40mph (making sure there are no cars or people coming!) in my miata it was very sure footed, but wanted to let go of the road off throttle, and the rear would slip if i wanted it to, my corvette on the other hand sticks like glue, but it over-steers if pushed too hard.

the point im making are the two "handling" criteria, the miata handles better than the corvette in the sense that its very sure footed especially at low speed, but the corvette is able to turn sharper at higher speed, but can be unpredictable at times, the normal driver is going to say the miata blows the corvette away in handling, but a skilled driver (much better than i) could use the corvette's over-steering to an advantage.

same thing where people say that the doge viper is a HORRIBLE handling car, but in the hands of a experienced driver its a very capable race car.

in short, a car that under-steers is a good handling car, but that doesn't make it better than a car that can over-steer.

Well said. Power isn't anyhting. any car can go fast in a straight line, depends on how deep your pockets are. if it goes fast and can take corners and overtake cars left and right, you've got a winner. i can see a built supra keeping up with a vette anyday. it just needs upgraded suspension and chassis fixes. the supra was quick stock with the giant turbo.
    -Aerodynamics and turbos are for people who can't build motors.

Ofna LX2e-4s
    Axial SCX10 Jeep
    T-Maxx 2.5

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This car...

http://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/photos/1842265/

The 77,533 on the dashboard is kilometers (48,177 miles)

Went for a check by Honda today, and apart from needing new rear struts and rear brake pads, it's in excellent condition. Will be closing the deal tonight, should have keys on Monday.
    Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice Foxy, congrats.. and good call on staying w/ Honda or since you are used to the S2000 shifter.. anything would be a let down.. ha!
    LB | WW2 | TLT | TB02 | DF03 | TEgg | F103GT | TXT | Hornet | Frog | Scalpel | Leo 2A6 | Aeromax | WW1 | Clod | CR-01

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pretty nice foxy. I like the look of it. Nice rims too. Maybe its just me but i have never seen a stick shift right there. Kinda like the honda pilot. Racing seats too.
    -Aerodynamics and turbos are for people who can't build motors.

Ofna LX2e-4s
    Axial SCX10 Jeep
    T-Maxx 2.5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cars today are generally better designed with a lot of advancements.. better manufacturing process to make things lighter yet stiffer, better design to make thing safer, better understanding of aerodynamic to allow more downforces (without adding crazy huge wings), better material sciences to have better material properties, and more advanced technologies that does things that was simply not possible before (braking on 1 out of the 4 wheels.. for example..), the list goes on and on.

I like the old school cars but I like them for personal reasons. But I am not under any illusion that they can hang with the newer cars. I am sure the basic Mustang V6 of today will run circle around a Mustang GT with V8 just 10-15 yrs ago. Same for Corvette, etc. A basic 350Z w/ NA motor will out run the old 300ZX with twin-turbo. (sure, I guess you can modify the thing and tune it up and all that, but then we are not really comparing apple to apple then..)

Just like when I buy a re-re Tamiya.. I wouldn't expect my Frog to out run a TRF201..
    LB | WW2 | TLT | TB02 | DF03 | TEgg | F103GT | TXT | Hornet | Frog | Scalpel | Leo 2A6 | Aeromax | WW1 | Clod | CR-01

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That reminds me, you need to buy a TRF201. And get me one too.
    DT02-MS | Stadium Thunder | TT Frog | TRF 801XT | CR-01 | F-150 | CRT.5 | T-Egg | Jrx2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

in short, a car that under-steers is a good handling car, but that doesn't make it better than a car that can over-steer.
    Huh? so FWD is king? I kind of understand what you are getting at, but I am sure most minivans understeer, and no one would think they are good handling vehicles by any means. The old vipers were in fact terrible handling cars not so much because of the power (hell they only had what 400 hp in the beginning), but the massive V10 waaay up front. Consider that versus a 370z with nearly 50/50 percent weight distribution, there is a big difference in handling. This is all aside from center of gravity etc etc.
    What would Chuck Finley do?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Understeer = safer handling.. but obviously, harder to get the car turned... ha!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Toyota Siena ftw?
    What would Chuck Finley do?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't diss Sienna, man.. With 3.5L V6, it gets to 60mph in about 7 second flat.. (for the non-AWD version)

According to this site (see below), 1993 Mustang GT w/ automatic goes to 60mph in 7.3 second..

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Ford-0-60-mph-Times.html

This is not a diss to Mustangs.. I like them.. but just saying the time is different now..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: The Hedgehog

Toyota Siena ftw?
    Maybe not, but it seems that understeering is equated to safer handling (which is good for a minivan).

Now, "safer" can or can not be equated to "better". Depends on what you're goal is. AutoX? Bad for the minivan understeer. Driving the kids to school? Good for safety reasons.

Maybe shark should have said "safer" instead of "better".
    DT02-MS | Stadium Thunder | TT Frog | TRF 801XT | CR-01 | F-150 | CRT.5 | T-Egg | Jrx2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey, cars with engine on the back shouldn't work either!! But people still buy them!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey, cars with engine on the back shouldn't work either!! But people still buy them!!
    Yeah, but those dudes are crazy.

CRAZY!!

San Diego but living in Dubai, UNITED ARAB EMIRATE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks clean Foxy. I'd check the sound system wiring as well...if I had a buck for every time I've seen cars go up in flames because of dodgy speaker wiring...oh! and do please get rid of that sticker on the petrol cap, eh?!?!
    The rest of your life starts now. Go Live It!

Team Terribles

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Same people who buy Tamiya re-re, I think...

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Yeah, but those dudes are crazy.

CRAZY!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Foxy

This car...

http://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/photos/1842265/

The 77,533 on the dashboard is kilometers (48,177 miles)

Went for a check by Honda today, and apart from needing new rear struts and rear brake pads, it's in excellent condition. Will be closing the deal tonight, should have keys on Monday.
    ^
    Things that make you go BLUUUUUH[:'(]

Sorry Foxy, but that thing is ugly as sin. LOL! I think you are downgrading from the s2000. To me a performance car needs to be RWD or AWD. But to each his own! Congrats on the new ride!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am sure Foxy would prefer to keep his S2000.. but he is doing it for other reasons..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice Foxy, congrats.. and good call on staying w/ Honda or since you are used to the S2000 shifter.. anything would be a let down.. ha!
    Yeh, the shift is nice in the Civic, not quite as good as the S, but nearly. Seats are te stockers, but yeh, they are nice buckets for stockers. The Civic is expensive as hatches go, interior materials and quality is generally good.

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

Pretty nice foxy. I like the look of it. Nice rims too. Maybe its just me but i have never seen a stick shift right there. Kinda like the honda pilot. Racing seats too.
    I'm not a big fan of the rims, but to be honest, I don't hate them. That's pretty good praise from me, I think most people have awful taste.

Understeer = safer handling.. but obviously, harder to get the car turned... ha!
    Someone has it in their sig around here, oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers. Until you have driven a high powered RWD car with the traction control off, you cannot possibly understand. Still, the civic has a decent frontend setup it's not too understeery. And the JDM LSD would solvre that if I ever decided it was intolerable.

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Looks clean Foxy. I'd check the sound system wiring as well...if I had a buck for every time I've seen cars go up in flames because of dodgy speaker wiring...oh! and do please get rid of that sticker on the petrol cap, eh?!?!
    Yeh it is in good shape. I'm very impressed you noticed its a sticker, I didn't realise that from the pics. I realise now that the giveaway is the line of the original cap around the sticker, but it just didn't occur to me until I saw it up close. Good eye there.

ORIGINAL: yakfish
    ^
    Things that make you go BLUUUUUH[:'(]

Sorry Foxy, but that thing is ugly as sin. LOL! I think you are downgrading from the s2000. To me a performance car needs to be RWD or AWD. But to each his own! Congrats on the new ride!
    Each to their own, I think it's a nice looking car, but as LB said, this is not a change of my own choosing. Things are very bad economically here at the moment, we are all being affected. The S had a number of characteristics that make it very expensive. The Civic is just not comparable as a car, the S2000 is one of the finest road machines ever constructed, in anyone's book. I'm doing what I can with the money I got, and I think I've done well
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ha, I am sure that's figurative.. understeer is safer in the sense that it just makes you go slower.. if you can not make the turn because it is plowing, you need to back off the throttle to transition some weight to the front to turn the car..

Slower.. less scary (you don't spin out).. but safer.. kind of.. ha!

Someone has it in their sig around here, oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers. Until you have driven a high powered RWD car with the traction control off, you cannot possibly understand. Still, the civic has a decent frontend setup it's not too understeery. And the JDM LSD would solvre that if I ever decided it was intolerable.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: The Hedgehog

Huh? so FWD is king? I kind of understand what you are getting at, but I am sure most minivans understeer, and no one would think they are good handling vehicles by any means. The old vipers were in fact terrible handling cars not so much because of the power (hell they only had what 400 hp in the beginning), but the massive V10 waaay up front. Consider that versus a 370z with nearly 50/50 percent weight distribution, there is a big difference in handling. This is all aside from center of gravity etc etc.
    what i was getting at is the average driver that drives a car and is able to go fast on a ramp without feeling like its going to spin out, thinks that that is the definition of a great handling car, when its just a under-steering, sure footed easier to tame car.

just because a car looks like its all front end doesnt mean it is, look at my corvette, HUGE front-end, however there is more weight resting on the rear tires! look at where the driver sits, the wheel well is literally resting on the back seat, the engine is almost mid-ship, the viper is built almost the same way, just because the engine is not in the back and the rear isnt very long does not mean the car is front heavy.

the viper has always been a great race car, but in the beginning it was very squirmy mostly because the old viper did not have ABS and too low of gearing, if you recall there was a race of a old viper and a same year lambo (or ferrari) on a mountain side race, the viper was killing the other car untill it went off the road, the brakes locked up, that has been fixed, there where slight changes to the suspension and aerodynamics and a little tweaking of the chassis but thats about it.

also lots of new cars today are heavy, numb and flexy, and so where old ones, but that doesnt mean that new cars have stiffer suspensions and better aerodynamics than old.

i plan on being a automotive engineer one day, i keep track of all the suspension layouts, chassis designs, engine control systems and all that fun junk, and being under thousands of cars i can tell you VERY little has changed over the last 30 years.

on a side note, i really dont compare power output to new cars, to me its not performance, what makes a car is the chassis. my vette was a little soggy on power before but after the heads, rockers, exhaust, pistons and all that, it could hang with a few sports cars today, its pretty dang fast. ANYTHING can be made to go fast in a straight line.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj23771.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	1744677  
    Signature
    (Max. 125 chars. 2 lines max)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine is not only fun to drive, but it hauls my trailer full of RC planes around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vs55587.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	1744720  
    Live to Love and laugh, anything else is rubbish!
    A citizen of the universe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ha, I am sure that's figurative.. understeer is safer in the sense that it just makes you go slower.. if you can not make the turn because it is plowing, you need to back off the throttle to transition some weight to the front to turn the car..

Slower.. less scary (you don't spin out).. but safer.. kind of.. ha!

I think we need to qualify driver levels. If my wife for example, had a high power rear wheel drive, she'd probably crash it if she tried to drive it fast. So in that sense, yes, understeer is 'safer'. However, for those who can drive well, understeer is very frightening, for the simple reason that there isn't much you can do about it. All you can do is stab the brake and hope the forward weight shift makes the front tires grip again. At least with oversteer, there are several subtle ways to respond to it. I've never ended up facing the wrong way in the S. It's nearly killed me a few times, but I never lost control of a spin.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the sleeper /work truck is a old 95 dodge diesel , 67/71/14 turbo wasted at 55 pounds, lazer cut d/v's, 4000 rpm governor kit 420 hp injectors head studs and fire ringed 5" exhaust billet input and out put shafts, B-D valve body triple disc converter. bunch of other stuff....the list goes on and on. never had it on the rollers so i dont have a real hp/torque rating. It will light em up at 60 mph just mashin the go pedal tho.
    The toy is a 82 elky 385 stroker (went.040 instead of .030 overbore) thm 350 reverse valve body manual shift trans. 3.73 gears only got one run and they threw me off the track cause no roll cage. it ran a 11.385 @ 118.66 mph and i had smoked em bad hittin 3rd. got my rump chewed by the track official when i pulled back in. (I told him i'd be happy with a high 12 when he asked how fast i thought it was.) http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...ssembly119.mp4 vid of the motor right after cam break in.

San Diego but living in Dubai, UNITED ARAB EMIRATE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's one nice plane, but can't see it fitting in the back of your truck.... (jk)

ORIGINAL: tenacious101010

Mine is not only fun to drive, but it hauls my trailer full of RC planes around.
    The rest of your life starts now. Go Live It!

Team Terribles

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's pretty fast.. 11 second in the 1/4 miles is no joke.. ! Nice.. !

Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast