Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Tow truck dolly wheels on a wagon

Old 08-23-2009, 07:40 PM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tow truck dolly wheels on a wagon

My dad just bought a 1938 Diamond t tow truck, It came with some 16.5 inch tall dolly tires and wheels. Well he isn't using them so i am going to custom build suspension to mount them on my wagon so i can have a sweet wagon when i got to the local car part swap meets. Anyways, i have all the hubs, and three spindles, so i need to find one more spindle. I have been looking and cant find one anywhere. If you could find one for me that would be awesome. I need to figure out how i am going to build it all too. I just started today so i haven't gotten much done. Anyone else have a custom wagon that you built?
Here's a pic of the mock up, and the spindle, its 8.75 inches long and 1.25inches thing then 1 inch thick.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:15 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tow truck dolly wheels on a wagon

LOL, when you finish the chassis to mount under the wagon bed, be sure to post a pic of that!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:58 PM
hands without shadows

Thats a very simple part to machine. Know anyone with a lathe?
Old 08-23-2009, 10:24 PM
So Cal

Im not going to make much progress very fast. I need to desighn the frame and get it all welded together. But im close to having a design that will work, I mean how hard is it to design a wagon.....

Oh and i dont know anyone with a lathe....
Old 08-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

This will take a bit of hunting around scrapyards and/or steel suppliers, but I'd get a piece of steel rod (or pipe) that's 1 inch and then find a piece of pipe that fits over it and has the right outside diameter that you need and weld it all together.

You might have to take it in somewhere to cut the thread on the end though unless you have the gear at home to do that.
Most engineering places will do that for a couple of bucks.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:23 PM
So Cal

Yeah i am most likely going to do something like that. Its not a go cart or anything so i could just use whatever fits.