Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Changing careers

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:21 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing careers

Well I have been a factory worker since I came out of highschool 15 years ago and Im kinda tired of it,But with a wife and one kid aswell as a second one on the way I never thought of changing careers. Today i got a email from my dad saying he was taking early retirement from his Electrical job and starting his own company,And he wants me to come work for him and apprentice under him, Then take over the company when he turns 65. So much to think about. Anybody else had to make a big choice like this?
Old 01-30-2010, 11:09 AM
jikkuria

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Changing careers

i haven't had to make a decision like that, as i don't have people depending on me the way you do. right now i'm 17 years old and in the second semester of my junior year, and trying to decide what to do with my life. i know it's not the same decision, but im stressing about a similar issue.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:28 AM
tommygun32

I'd jump all over that if it was me. To be taught an entirely new trade at what....33 (?) years old!!

Most dad's (granddads) wouldn't jump into a new business, especially in these trying times unless they KNEW it would work. And he's planning to give you (and your family) a future business to run....I'd give my left you know what for a chance like that.

Factories come and go...eh. Everyone will eventually need an electrician to come by and fix something or install a new project. It can also (if all else fails) lead you to other jobs (if you don't wait too long for them). My brother works for SDG&E in San Diego as a lineman. Last week during all the storms, he was pulling in 2K a day with normal and OT hours. 27 hour shifts and all.

Up to you at the end of the day. Weigh your options, desires, wants and needs, and personal drive and ambition and do what you feel is right for you and your family.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:48 PM
redfisher1974

35 years old, I do want to do it, It just worries me a bit, I will have to move and go to back to school, apprentence for 5 years etc. And
im having my second kid in 4 months. But in the end i will be alot better off as i will have my own company and a good trade
Old 01-30-2010, 02:16 PM
stevenservo

yeah i had a choice to leave the army or reinlist with a wife and a unstable economy it was a ez choice army unfortunatly lol
Old 01-30-2010, 05:46 PM
DaveG55

Out of HS I got an electronics degree only to find out it bored me. Went into retail and ended up managing 3 $1mil+ stores. That chain went under and I worked in a commercial bakery (a factory) for 15yrs. Left that to start my own construction/maintaince company. Sold that company to a bigger one and was VP of that for another 10 yrs or so. When the housing market tanked that company downsized to the owner and his kid and I went back to school and am studing Radiographic Technology with graduation still 6 months away.

Along the way we, the wife & I, have raised two kids, bought 3 houses, several cars and managed to put a fair amount into retirement accounts. So, yes, I know what you are going through.

My advice to you is to go for it. Working with your Dad, making a family buisness, controling your own destiny. Is that not the American dream?
Can anyone guarentee sucess? No. But then again, no one can guarentee that your factory job will be there in 1 year or 2 either.
Wil it be easy? Probobly not. Will it be rewarding? I'd bet that it will be.

Good Luck with your decision!!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But.. is it the Canadian dream?!

Anyway, sounds like a good opportunity.. but only you would know the real deals.. outsider like us don't know enough about your current job nor the new startup opportunity to give you the proper advice.. but if your question is, is it okay to change career.. the answer is yes... the way I see it is.. if you don't change, don't expect your life to change either. Are you happy w/ staying w/ the current job? Is there growth opportunities w/ the current job? Promotion? etc.

Of course there's always risk. But then in this life, if there's no risk, there's no potential reward..

Good luck!!

ORIGINAL: DaveG55
Is that not the American dream?
Old 01-31-2010, 02:36 AM
IFR Pilot

Follow the money, thats what the pirates did and are still doing today.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:11 AM
redfisher1974

Thank for the input guy's. I have been doing some thinking and were going to go for it.I have a plan starting to take shape. When my baby is born in may. I can take 9 months of parental leave with pay from my factory job, at that time i will go to school for the apprentanceship and work for my dad after hours and weekends.Then after the six months or so in school I will leave my factory job and join my dad as a apprentance.This will be good for both of us as i will still get a steady pay check and he wont have to worry as much about getting money rolling to pay me untill we get the company going.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:43 PM
DaveG55

Prior planning is always good.
Good luck with yours.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:57 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best job ever!!

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974
I can take 9 months of parental leave with pay from my factory job
Old 02-01-2010, 12:57 AM
tommygun32

Good plan redfisher, sounds pretty solid. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Eman77

Best of luck, redfisher! I hope there is minimal stress on your family as you guys go through this, and they support you fully.