Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Toyota Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:23 AM
ivyspoppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Toyota Recall

Dont these people know how to shift out of gear and shut engine off ??
Old 02-11-2010, 02:20 AM
The Hedgehog

I am sure a million things were running through there head at the time. Hard to understand unless you were in that position.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:39 AM
animalnut

reminds me of the good ol days in my 86 supra not sure what was wrong with it but when you turn the cruise control to on then hit set it would drop the gas pedal to the floor and break the rear wheels loose if you where going anywhere under 30mph and it would not stop till about 140mph no matter what unless you just cut off the cruise control the brakes would not disengage it stop/resume did nothing just the sound of one bad ass engine pegged, and funny as hell if the person in the passenger seat knew nothing of the problem because I would act as if I had no idea how we where going to stop[sm=idea.gif] then just reach up and cut it off[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 02-11-2010, 07:18 AM
J.D.T

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

not to offend anyone

-but the Japanese run on honor, pride and integrity, any mistake is shame on them (as it should be with the rest of the world)

the morals are shown by immediately responding to the recall with a solution (though a costly one)

i dont think this will end them, but i think that this media chit chat is going to hurt them more than anything.

i mean look at the fieros- only one year only .003% caught on fire mostly due to lack of maintenance and it cut the sales down dramatically and slowly ended the fiero because people where afraid of the mass media terror of fires.

fiero sales went like this by year
1984-136,xxx
1985-76,xxx
1986-83,xxx
1987-46,xxx
1988-39,xxx

the 87s and 88s were the best of the cars but the idea of it being a poor mans corvette never really came along, unfortunetely the 1989 version was going to be a tubro v6 with better suspension and better stuff all around, I remember seeing the car at the chicago autoshow when it was new, they paraded it around and then killed the product line

I know most of you are to young to remember but GM tried this nearly 50 yeas ago to it was called a corvair, new and different, poor mans corvette type of marketing, they tanked to. At least the Fiero sold 350,000 or so cars so they should be around for a long time to preserve they tiny fraction of auto history they deserve.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:29 AM
J.D.T

ORIGINAL: JimG_AZ

ORIGINAL: J.D.T
...Plus there is going to be a class action lawsuit against them for diminished value because Kelly Blue Book announced today the value of every car involved in the recall will be lowered by 2.5-3.5%.
I wonder how this would ever work. Does this mean that I can sue Ford for all the money I lost on my 1996 Explorer? Once the Explorer roll over issue hit the media, my Explorers resale value tanked.
no that class action was against Firestone not ford and it is long ago settled, that was different, that was purely a case of improper tire inflation, even tires with less than 1/32 of thread were proven to withstand the rigors of the goverment road testing procedure so it was not tire design or vehicle design, they figured out that just about any vehicle especially SUVs are very dangerous if you blow out the rear tire at 70 mph, I personally can't beleive they needed a test to figure that one out.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learned to drive in a 1966 ford mustang. Lesson # 2 was if the pedal ever sticks shift out of gear. We have become so used to well running cars we don't teach basic "Auto Survival" any more.

My kids will learn it........
Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 AM
BradSD
My Feedback: (9)

It blows my mind to see Americans loving a Japan company so much. I bet our great grandparants are rolling over in their graves these days. I wonder if our children or future children will buy cars from terrorist. Unreal how we do not support our own country, we are doomed as a nation in my opinion.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Eman77

Is it any better to buy "American", like the Pontiac Vibe, which uses many Japanese parts from Toyota? It's part of the recall too, FYI.

How about buying an "American" GM vehicle that is built and assembled in Mexico? Any better?

Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 AM
redfisher1974

The vibe is built at the same plant as the toyota matrix ( Nummi plant) and use's the same parts.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We also did drop some atomic bombs in Japan years back.... [&:]

Anyway, buy whatever car you like... judging the cars by their merits.. your preference on their look or whatever.. it is all good.. but no need to hate on other nations in the world.. cause if everybody think that way, American products won't be too popular oversea either.. and I'm sure that will affect American companies more than anything else..
Old 02-11-2010, 10:50 AM
CRockVet

This is no different that what out goverment is doing to the big banks.  They dont like big sucsessfull companys.

This is no different than what our goverment did to OUR big powerfull car companys in the 70's because they "used too much gas".  They come up with anything they can to knock who they dont like down so people will buy what the goverment wants you to have.

Now Toyota is the BIG international company with :too much money and power" and our goverment owns GM ana Christler so they have to level the playing field so you get this.

One thing to keep in mind is the coments our president has made about GM products.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:54 AM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: BradSD

It blows my mind to see Americans loving a Japan company so much. I bet our great grandparents are rolling over in their graves these days. I wonder if our children or future children will buy cars from terrorist. Unreal how we do not support our own country, we are doomed as a nation in my opinion.
i still think the deaths are BS, early on there where no reported deaths- now since its a big deal 100 million people died from it?

what grandparents are rolling in thier graves about is how (untill lately) we had no pride or care in our work, and about us buying parts from china and labor from Mexico- and then slap a American label on a Korean or Japanese car.

and they are really ticked about how we buy everything from china and we rely on trade because we no longer make products for the world- thats what made America great- making things with care and pride, to make something that will last. it made this country self sufficient.
now its about the dollar, if we can make a product cheap, it doesnt matter who makes it.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: CRockVet

This is no different that what out goverment is doing to the big banks. They dont like big sucsessfull companys.

This is no different than what our goverment did to OUR big powerfull car companys in the 70's because they ''used too much gas''. They come up with anything they can to knock who they dont like down so people will buy what the goverment wants you to have.

Now Toyota is the BIG international company with :too much money and power'' and our goverment owns GM ana Christler so they have to level the playing field so you get this.

One thing to keep in mind is the coments our president has made about GM products.

Wow.

I had to quote that one, to preserve it in writing for all time. That's priceless, man.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Broken

It blows my mind to see Americans loving a Japan company so much. I bet our great grandparants are rolling over in their graves these days. I wonder if our children or future children will buy cars from terrorist. Unreal how we do not support our own country, we are doomed as a nation in my opinion.
My Grandfather spent just as much time in Japan helping to rebuild it as he did fighting off Kamikaze at sea. Same with my Great Uncle. He even came home with Japanese Trophy (if you know what I mean)...

I'm not so sure they are rolling over' over any of this. Most great warriors respect there enemy in the end. But since we are neither in a great war with nations with a great enemy this is not true today. I don't think your in danger of driving a Haji moped any time soon. Unless the moped rocks of course then our free market principals will kick in and we will all own one!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, we are always at war!! We are America!! TEAM AMERICA!!!

LOL!!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:13 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

It blows my mind to see Americans loving a Japan company so much. I bet our great grandparents are rolling over in their graves these days. I wonder if our children or future children will buy cars from terrorist. Unreal how we do not support our own country, we are doomed as a nation in my opinion.
i still think the deaths are BS, early on there where no reported deaths- now since its a big deal 100 million people died from it?
You honestly need to wake up and watch or read or listen to the news. So insensitive to, some people have died because of this. Seriously ***.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:14 AM
CRockVet

Heres how i see it.

Obama starts losing controlof his healcare bill in the Mass. election. He panics, falls back to his normal "LIB" safeposition and bashes GM, because the Republican drives a GM and they are not eco friendly. Not remembering that he now ownes GM.

Then the press, who always has leftys back, waits about a mounthand starts to publisize the heck out out a quiet, butknown about, problem with cars built by the largest, foregn own car company in the world.

What better way to support you guy and level the playing field.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:42 AM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

Well...I'm so "UPSET" that I just took advantage of the "Kick/um While They Are Down" idea....Bought a new 2010 Prius for a couple thou. less than I paid for my then new 2005...That should "Teach" um....
Old 02-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Broken

Heres how i see it.

Obama starts losing control of his healcare bill in the Mass. election. He panics, falls back to his normal ''LIB'' safe position and bashes GM, because the Republican drives a GM and they are not eco friendly. Not remembering that he now ownes GM.

Then the press, who always has leftys back, waits about a mounth and starts to publisize the heck out out a quiet, but known about, problem with cars built by the largest, foregn own car company in the world.

Great hypothesis! But you forgot to mention the Umpa Lumpa's.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:05 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Broken

Heres how i see it.

Obama starts losing control of his healcare bill in the Mass. election. He panics, falls back to his normal ''LIB'' safe position and bashes GM, because the Republican drives a GM and they are not eco friendly. Not remembering that he now ownes GM.

Then the press, who always has leftys back, waits about a mounth and starts to publisize the heck out out a quiet, but known about, problem with cars built by the largest, foregn own car company in the world.

Great hypothesis! But you forgot to mention the Umpa Lumpa's.

All the sudden, I feel the urge to smoke what some posters are obviopusly smokin' in order to understand better where some comments are coming from. Oh well, a beer will do:-)

Have you heard about Honda's latest recalls (air bag problem).

Back to work...

Gerry
Old 02-11-2010, 01:54 PM
ASYSTEMERROR

You know this all started with one person wanting to arrive in something (Better) than the fellow man or more costly to show his status, then it was trying save a BUCK at the pump, we had long since allowed the bean counters to kill our product then use (overseas) parts to build our cars and the list goes on we have allowed this country to slip in the same way. We could have limited the amount of the market we opened up but we didn't. you think there's and american anything racing every weekend to build support for our product over there !!! face it !!!!!! it's not right but you should have stuck by your country and we wouldn't be owned by others ! I WATCHED IT HAPPEN IN DETROIT !!!!! But i could be wrong !
Old 02-11-2010, 02:06 PM
lee172

get ya tinfoil hats 2$.... [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 02-11-2010, 02:08 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

just got my 09 tundra fixed today. no biggie................they detailed the truck for free plus a free oil change and filter when needed. best truck i ever owned. and is fast too. 385 horse v-8 with flow-masters sounds great. had it to the drags 9.86 in the eighth mile............thats 13.80- 14.20 in the quarter....................RON
Old 02-11-2010, 03:25 PM
mikerhwwb6rhw

I think the whole Toyota thing is an " american car manufacturers" plot to try to destroy
Toyota's reputation. We've owned 2 Camry's and put over 100K miles on 'em and never
have an ounce of trouble. We now own a 2007 Prius and have driven it from coast to coast,
and no trouble. It has 67K miles on it. I'm 70 yrs. and will keep with Toyotas till I go to my urn.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:50 PM
JEC55

I own a 2009 Tacoma which isincludedin the recall. I've had the radio replaced as it was defective. Now I'm scheduled to have the gas pedal corrected. I haven't had any problem with the gas pedal in 32,000 miles / 14 months, but I am curious as to which unit I have, CTS or Denso. To me it seems strange that our government is up in arms about Toyota's quality and handling of this situation. Toyota has sent replacement parts to the dealers, stopped prodction until replacement parts could be used online during assembly, and Toyota dealerships have increased staffing and service hours to correct this problem. I still remember Chevy Pickups with the gas tank behind the seat, Ford Pinto's, Chrysler Electrical systems catching fire, etc. Not much involvement from our government until the lawsuits started. I've owned many, many vehicles over the years, most of which were Chevy's or Fords. But I now choose to drive my fourthToyota, and will continue to due so based on past, present , and future quality and dependability. This is entirely my opinion and yours may vary...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.