Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

How close have you been to Death?

Old 04-05-2010, 08:57 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How close have you been to Death?

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: tommygun32
and in about 1/8th of a second realized why it's called FLASH POWDER...[:@]
Makes sense, doesn't it?

A friend of mine did something similar with a makeshift fuse about 3 years ago. He tried taping a sparkler to the powder core of a bear banger to give it a short delay, but as soon as he lit the end of the 'fuse', a stray spark landed on the exposed core and caused the device to explode in his face. The blast propelled dirt and rocks into his eyes, and he ended up having to go to the ER to have the larger particles removed with tweezers.
dude! the only thing from getting you blown up should NEVER be makeshift!
its like packing a parachute with a shower curtain and some fishing line.

i love explosives, but im deathly afraid of them too.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:21 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: The_Shark
dude! the only thing from getting you blown up should NEVER be makeshift!
its like packing a parachute with a shower curtain and some fishing line.

i love explosives, but im deathly afraid of them too.
It wasn't me who built the device; I don't skimp on fuse.

Electrical ignition is preferred, but when I do use visco fuse, I seal the hole in the casing effectively to ensure that no stray sparks can reach the composition.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:18 PM
The_Shark

i know it wasnt you, i was "talking" to your bud.

fuses spook me out, ive seen some "slow" wicks race to the explosive. i also saw one of my friends friends make a firework (just a bunch of black powder, stars and sparklers duck-tapped) and put a 1 inch powder coated green wick and he lit it in his hand, thank god he didnt make it well enough, so it just made a loud hiss and bright flash and burnt his arm and shirt.... dumb-ass.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:11 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

You guys are so funny. You are near death when you close your eyes during a heart attack and "give in". Then they get you going again. Later quintuple bypass keeps you going.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:12 AM
tommygun32

One of my old favorite delay ignitions was at least 6 inches of 3 strand fuse I'd get from the military surplus store, then drive push it through about half way down a lit cigarette. Gave me plenty of time to get out of the 'zone.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Jgaff2

Last yearwhen I was racing my dirtbike, I was doing about 30 to 35 mph through a section of six 20-30 foot doubles in a row. Then the rear end started swapping on me and i got flung off the bike. I broke my right shoulder right below the ball and my lower left arm. It was pretty painful and every weekend I probably put myself in a situation of possible death.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:51 PM
boltech

I earned the nickname Shock-B in high school.

Took a 260 Volt Jolt in the electronics lab that knocked me out and left blisters on my hands..
Old 04-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Jgaff2

sounds like a lot of pain
Old 04-06-2010, 09:42 PM
1320Fastback

I drove by two guys hiding in a bush that 5 minutes later murdered my neighbor two doors down. Good thing I was sick otherwise I probably would of had the garage door open working on stuff and been a dead witness.

Never been close to death medically though.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:00 PM
calvino

I overdosed on pain killers once [>:] I remember siting down next to a tree at the college where I was taking classes and seeing my friends at my funeral... well lets say it this way, thats the closest I have come to death, I have been zapped by wall current a few times... been in a not tooo bad car crash, random crap like that, but im happy to still be here!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:42 PM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

I was climbing a tree in the woods near my house when I was about 13. 2/3rds of the way up the tree I grabbed a branch and it was dead. The branch snapped and the next thing I knew, I was on the ground. I had landed on a slope, so I just slid down the hill and laid there waiting on intense pain. It never came. I was fine and when I looked right beside where I landed, there was a large stick that was stuck in the ground a foot or so with about two feet sticking above the ground. I almost got impaled.

Then when I was around 20, I was riding my motorcycle to my older sister's house and came around a blind curve. I didn't see the gravel in the road until it was too late. I remember the bike sliding out from under me and I pushed it away as I slid across the pavement into a large ditch. I hit the ditch back first and my helmet slammed into the ground. It sounded like a shotgun went off inside the damn thing. I laid there for a couple minutes dazed and then the sound of the bike idling woke me up. I checked for broken bones, none, got up and dragged the bike out of the ditch. It bent the handle bars back into the tank and dented it, bent the right side blinkers back and popped the headlight out. I pulled the bars up, pulled the blinkers out and let the headlight hang while I rode it to my sister's house. After I got going again a large bird flew up out of the grass on the side of the road and slammed into my helmet. Thank God the face shield was closed. It almost succeeded in knocking me off the bike, but somehow I held on and pulled over. I couldn't see anything through the blood, guts and oils all over my face shield. I cleaned it off the best I could and, reluctantly, I continued to her house and finally made it. I fixed the headlight, checked the bike over (nothing else wrong, the highway bars and saddlebags saved it) and then started inspecting my clothing. The leather jacket I was wearing was ripped through on my right shoulder, my jeans were ripped and torn, my gloves had holes in them and my boots were scraped through. Amazingly, not a single scratch on me, but I was incredibly sore the next morning. Twice I can vividly remember coming close to death, but thankfully it wasn't my time.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:08 AM
The_Shark

i have fallen asleep behind the wheel before doing 60mph at 11:30pm not a good feeling when you wake up.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:52 PM
ttoks

i had a loaded 30-06 deer rifle put to my head and the guy pulled the trigger.. and the primer failed.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:08 PM
DarkFire989

^ I think we have a winner...[X(]
Old 04-24-2010, 07:20 PM
lee172

ORIGINAL: ttoks

i had a loaded 30-06 deer rifle put to my head and the guy pulled the trigger.. and the primer failed.
it may be obvious, but would someone do that? was it a joke (maybe he thought it wasnt loaded?)
Old 04-25-2010, 04:07 AM
tommygun32

Rule #1 with weapons = Absolutely never ever ever!!! point a gun at someone unless you are ready to kill them. Loaded or not. Full stop, period, end of story NEVER!!

Unless of course he meant to kill you....then yes, I think we have a winner.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:29 AM
tommygun32

I did the "coming round a curve and didn't see the gravel/sand" myself. Just got scraped up a bit.

Another bike moment was one of those "just going 2 blocks to the taco stand to pick up lunch for the shop crew" times.

Didn't wear the helmet or any leathers, just the gloves, jeans and fleece jacket. Literraly going 2 blocks. After the 1st block, a controlled intersection where I had the right of way due to a stop sign on the other corner. Not really paying attention, I'm going through the intersection at 30mph and from the corner of my eye, here comes the car. It was being chased by 3 cop cars. In the span of 1/8th of a second, I realized I had two choices. Drop the bike or become a hood ornament. I dropped the bike and slip BETWEEN the perps car and the 1st cop car following him. A bit like a scene from a Keystone Cops movie.

I slid about 40 or so feet following that horrible grinding noise that was my bike sliding a couple feet ahead of me. I ended up face down, looking back at the way I'd come from. The 3rd or last cop car stopped to check me out. He was trying real hard not to laugh (not doing a good job of it). He said I looked like a spinning top with both arms flaying around trying to protect my head. It happened so fast, I don't even remember all that. It was "everything is fine and I can't wait for that carne asada burrito" to "damn...what am i doing on the ground...bleeding??"

Road rashed both arms, elbows, knees and calfs and a bit of my back. But I somehow protected the head. [sm=72_72.gif]

Another time I actually threaded the needle on a sweeping left of a twisting mountain road between a cow (in my lane) and oncoming traffic. That was very close one. Almost clipped his mirror with my helmet / shoulder. Also got hit in the face shield with a rock the size of my fist at about 70 mph. Felt like I got hit by Mike Tyson. My head was still ringing when I got to the destination 20 minutes later...[:@]
Old 04-25-2010, 11:49 AM
justavillain

I was in Fallujah, Iraq in 2006/2007.  Pretty much says it all....we weren't at one of the camps either we lived at a place called FOB Black and FOB Gold for the whole time.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:23 AM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

Winner! Did you have to go home and change your underwear? I would've had to.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:03 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: larryf333

Winner! Did you have to go home and change your underwear? I would've had to.
i couldnt imagine that. i hope it was some kind of stupid joke if not i would kill the guy with the back of his own gun... after messing my pants. but really, me and %99 of the population would've run/pass out, its automatic.