Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Cooking thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 02:42 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cooking thread

I want to learn how to cook some Middle Eastern / Mediterranean stuff. Hummus, falafel, pita, tahini, baba ghanoush, dolmas, pomegranate chicken... and all that good stuff. I love eating it all but don't have a clue how to make any of it. Not a huge deal though since there are tons of Middle Eastern delis and restaurants around here.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:54 AM
tommygun32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Sheo, while you're in Dubai, grab a couple of local cook books. What area you staying in anyway?
Old 03-28-2010, 05:09 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know, my cousin's husband works for Citigroup and is stationed in Dubai, so we're staying with them. Not sure what area.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:35 AM
tommygun32

Well, there are plenty of Borders book stores here and loads of malls with other book stores McGrudy's is another good one with plenty of choices. Not too many books out there on traditional UAE cooking, but most of what you were talking about is considered Lebanese style food....and there are plenty of cook books on that subject my friend.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:12 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

peanutbutter and jelly.

im not to shabby at making Philly cheese from scratch.

i need to cook more, as soon as im out of the house, im going to have to cook for myself.... till i get a wife
Wait, I thought you were like 30. And married.
spooky isnt it? im not your average young pup.
Wow I also thought you were way older. Good to know there are still well mannered young ones out there.

Any ways I can cook anything from steak to fish. BB-Q, grilling, baking, roasting, you name it. My favorite thing to make is stuffed mushrooms with white Cheddar cheese on top. The only thing I'm not good at is rice. I know my wife says it's easy but I either make to dry or to soggy. Once in a blue moon it will come out okay.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:40 AM
tommygun32

Two ways to cook rice.

1 to 2 method, or just boil in lots of salted water.

For every measure of rice, add two measures of water. Put pan on heat, add salt and a squeeze of lime juice and cover. Check after 12 minutes with a fork. Taste it too, just like pasta, should be al dente and the water should all be soaked up. If it's almost done but there's still water in the pan, keep cooking with the lid off, but keep your eyes on it. Should only need a couple minutes at most.

The way I do most of my plain rice is soak it in water for about 20 minutes then rinse clean.

Put that in a deep pot and add about 3 - 4 times the amount of liquid, tsp salt and squeeze half a lime in it (keeps the rice from sticking). Then just get it up to the boil. Check after 12 minutes by pulling a few out with a fork and looking at them. If they still have tiny little ridges on the side of the grains...they're not quite done. Will need about 1, maybe 2 minutes more. Also taste them, they'll still be pretty hard. Once you get them perfect, pour out the contents through a sieve and rinse with cold running water. Shake it off and once drained, allow to rest in the warm pot you boiled it in till it fluffs up nicely.

Give it a go, It's really not that hard.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:58 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

I love to cook anything from Beef wellington, to creme brulee . The town I live in is primarily a Czech community, Regan named Wilber the Czech capital of the United States.
the food meat markets offer blood sausage and sulze. among other Czech delicacy's. the older Czech's who still do there own butchering save everything from the hog or beef.
they make all kinds of Bologna and sausages. even chicken feet soup, or duck head soup, crack the skull and well you get the idea
Old 03-28-2010, 01:19 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Two ways to cook rice.

1 to 2 method, or just boil in lots of salted water.

For every measure of rice, add two measures of water. Put pan on heat, add salt and a squeeze of lime juice and cover. Check after 12 minutes with a fork. Taste it too, just like pasta, should be al dente and the water should all be soaked up. If it's almost done but there's still water in the pan, keep cooking with the lid off, but keep your eyes on it. Should only need a couple minutes at most.

The way I do most of my plain rice is soak it in water for about 20 minutes then rinse clean.

Put that in a deep pot and add about 3 - 4 times the amount of liquid, tsp salt and squeeze half a lime in it (keeps the rice from sticking). Then just get it up to the boil. Check after 12 minutes by pulling a few out with a fork and looking at them. If they still have tiny little ridges on the side of the grains...they're not quite done. Will need about 1, maybe 2 minutes more. Also taste them, they'll still be pretty hard. Once you get them perfect, pour out the contents through a sieve and rinse with cold running water. Shake it off and once drained, allow to rest in the warm pot you boiled it in till it fluffs up nicely.

Give it a go, It's really not that hard.
TOM! you already friggin claimed a whole page! im going to try your wings recipe.... i love risotto, im going to try to make it.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:34 PM
jessiej

Every member of my family loves to cook. I like to do Cajun dishes, shrimp, and almost anything using wild game. Also, having learned to deep-fry turkey, the birds aren't just for holidays anymore.

jess
Old 03-28-2010, 02:20 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

turd sandwich
Old 03-28-2010, 07:14 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Don't do it! Pay rent at home. Way cheaper and lets you buy more hobby stuff. Wife probably won't cook either. Remember when you say I do, the real answer is I'm done!
Old 03-28-2010, 07:28 PM
quietnas1

Awesome! I will be coming back and trypng some of these out. Thanks a million.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:07 AM
tommygun32

LOL, sorry Shark. When it comes to cooking....it's just a passion of mine.

When the original thread started in the "clubhouse" forum I had brought up the idea that everyone who wanted to could post as many of their family / favorite recipes as they wanted to and I would try and compile them into a RCU Cook Book. You know, give everyone who contributed a recipe credit for that recipe and stuff. Maybe a quick background story or something.

Thinking about the logistics of it though, it would be quite difficult to actually turn it into a physical book that could make enough revenue to a) pay for itself and b) generate some amount of profit that we (RCU) could donate to charity or something.

I've also run into the simple fact that a number of people who have "original" or "family" recipes want to keep them SECRET!! Like actaully take their recipes to their graves...[:@]

This I don't get. The whole joy of cooking to me is sharing that passion for flavor. I can't count the amount of times I've made something for a pot luck or bbq party or something and someone says, "wow, this is great. what's in it?" and I'll go and write down the recipe for them.

I'm still playing with the idea for RCU cook book though and have an idea. Gon'na go bounce that idea off admin, see what they have to say.

Secret to a good Risotto mate....make your own stock and keep it warm and ready next to the Risotto pot. Use good Risotto Rice and don't skimp on the butter and parmesian. It's one of those dishes that will be better with the sum of its ingredients....if the ingredients are the best you can get.....like using wild field mushrooms for a mushroom risotto...
Old 03-29-2010, 12:51 PM
4wd13

Im getting hungry reading this thread.

but anyway, im big with pastas, my granmother was a little ole' italian lady who did nothing but cook. all growing up i would help her as much as i could in the kitchen. Endded up learning most of her recipies.

i also started brewing my own beer. pretty lengthy process, but well worth it in the end,
Old 03-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Casper06

Cooking is my other passion. My dad was a chef and my mom was old school always making food as well. She always told me when I was little I don't ever want you being dependent on any woman for food so I started off as her helper in the kitchen. I can't tell you how much that has come in handy over the years. Woman these days barely know how to cook anymore because of the way things have changed. I can cook a wide range of things, I once made a deal with my wife that I would not cook the same meal for dinner over three months and I won. I've never even used a cook book at any point in my life these are all dishes I have learned over the years. I love food
Old 04-01-2010, 04:17 AM
tommygun32

My Cabonara.....

8 - 10 button mushrooms, sliced.
2/3 cup cooking cream (single cream)
1 packet Italian pancheta lardons
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
2/3 cup grated fresh parmesian cheese
1 egg yolk (seperated)
couple of sprigs fresh thyme - chopped
couple of basil leaves sliced into thin slivers
Loads of fresh cracked pepper
Pasta of your choice, spaghetti, linguini, etc

boil the pasta till just before al dente (about a minute before...it will continue to cook later and you don't want it over-done)

Large frying pan on heat.
When hot, throw in the pancheta and cook off till crispy all around.
Remove from pan with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Keep aside
Fry off the mushrooms in the panceta fat on high heat.
Once they're nicely colored, add the chicken stock and cook till about 1/2 evaporated.
Now add the wine and thyme and do the same as the chicken stock.
Now add the cream and swish it round the pan until incorporated.
Now add most of the parmesian and let it melt into the sauce and thicken up, but still a bit runny.
Crack a bunch of fresh pepper into the sauce
Now add your pasta and panceta, toss it through until it's heated up nicely.
Now turn off the heat and add your egg yolk and toss it through completely. This will add a serious richness, color and thickens the sauce as well. That's why you want the sauce to be a bit thin before the egg is added.
Now transfer to your plate and sprinkle with remaining parmesian and basil leaves.

Note, I haven't used any extra salt. I find the panceta, chicken stock and parmesian usually has more than enough saltiness for the dish. You can add more if you want though.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:25 AM
The_Shark

-Bacon

supplies
bacon 1lb
pan
long sleeve shirt

first open the bacon, heat pan, cook bacon untill curled and slightly crispy
remove from pan- enjoy.

wheew I'm sorry, only culinary experts can master this dish.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:49 AM
tommygun32

Dinner tonight.

My Chicken Machaca...

1 whole roasted chicken - remove the skin and meat from the bone and shred (pull) all the meat into bits. Keep aside in a bowl. (use the bones to make a nice stock)
1 good glug Olive oil
1 carrot - sliced on the angle
1 onion sliced in 1/4 inch half rings
2 - 3 cloves garlic crushed
1 heaped tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp neutral paprika powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp chili powder (use your fav)
1 bay leaf
1 chicken stock cube
Salt & Pepper
water

Put a decent sized sauce pan on heat.
Add the olive oil and once warm, throw in the onion and carrot with a pinch of salt. Cover on med-low heat until it's all sweated off and grabbing some color on the edges.
Add the crushed garlic and cook / stirring for about a minute
Now add all your spices and roast off until the kitchen is filled with that roasted cumin smell.
Now add all your chicken and give it a good stir.
Pour enough water into the pan to just cover the chicken and add the stock cube, salt and pepper.
Let simmer for about 1 hour.

Now use it however you like. We like to make burritos with this.

In a large pan, heat up individual large flour tortillas until they're nice an pliable. Lay down on a plate or work surface. Put a nice big spoon full of refried beans on one side of the tortilla, get a good amount of the chicken (drain it first a bit) and put that on top of the beans. Now add some pico de gallo and shredded lettuce. Roll it all up into a burrito. Now I put it on a plate, cover it with some shredded cheddar cheese and stick it under the grill or broiler until the cheese melts, colors and is nice and bubbly.

Serve this with Mexican rice, sour cream, guacamole and salsa...all home made of course....

I think I'll post my Beef Machaca recipe next.

Come on guys.....how bout your recipes? Let's hear (read) some please.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:05 AM
tommygun32

Blackened chicken bacon cheeseburgers....

1 chicken breast
Cajun seasoning (either home made or use your fav store bought)
splash of white wine
olive oil
couple of bacon strips cooked to your liking
couple slices of jalapeno jack cheese
couple leaves of lettuce
couple slices of beef steak tomato
mustard (dijon or spicy brown)
mayo
2 burger buns

Get a frying pan up to heat. Liberally sprinkle both sides of chicken breast with Cajun blackening seasoning. Add splash of oil to pan...should be nice and hot...now add the chicken breast to pan...carefully.

Meantime, slice your burger buns, spread them with a touch of margerine or butter and toast in a pan or under the grill.

After about 2 & 1/2 minutes, turn the chicken breast over and hard fry for another 2 minutes. Now turn down the heat, add your splash of wine and cover the pan. Let this continue cooking for about 5 - 7 minutes. Take off the heat and allow the breast to rest in a warm place (maybe even covered with foil).

Now you're ready. Take the chicken breast and slice on the angle about 1/4 inch thick pieces. Mustard on one toasted half of the bun and mayo on the other. Put the cheese, chicken layer, bacon, tomato and lettuce (onion can be used if wanted as well)

Makes two generous burgers.

Serve with a salad or corn on the cob. Enjoy...
Old 04-08-2010, 05:48 AM
tommygun32

Dinner last night.....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75264.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1414105  
Old 04-10-2010, 01:26 PM
tommygun32

Easy pasta with fish (seafood)....

Chop up the following in a chunky style....per serving

6 - 8 mushrooms
10 - 12 cherry tomatoes or 1 big ripe tomato
2 garlic cloves
1 fresh chili or a good pinch of dried chili flakes (to your liking)
parsley....small bunch
freh thyme or basil.....maybe even both...[&:]

now get some seafood ready...to your liking.....(clams, musseles, shrimps or prawns, chunks of fish, whatever you have, just make sure it's cooked, maybe even steamed....[:-])

What you need next....

1 lemon
olive oil
white wine - 1 or 2 splashes
salt & pepper, and any fresh herbs you may have (if you have)....dried herbs also work here.
pasta that you like, enough for 1.....(spaghetti # 3 is my fav, or a good fettucini)

Boil pasta till done.....while that's happening, put a big heavy frying pan on heat.

When it's hot, add olive oil, then mushrooms...fry till browned on edges. (your seafood should be cooked and ready to go, just to heat through)

Add the garlic, herbs, salt and pepper....cook till it smells nice!! 1 minute max!

now add the lemon juice......then the white wine...

Allow to cook down till the liquid is reduced by half.....

Add your seafood.....and let heat up for about a minute...

Now add the tomato and let heat through for 30 sec...

(add anything I've missed now)

Now add the pasta and toss till it's warmed through....(add it straight from the pasta pot or cook pasta before and rinse to stop the pasta from cooking)

Chuck all that into your bowl or pour onto your plate.

Sprinkle with fresh grated pamessian cheese and crack some fresh black pepper.....

Lurvely!!!!

Old 04-10-2010, 01:27 PM
tommygun32

Come on guys......share your recipes.....please....(would love to try them...[&:][:-])
Old 04-16-2010, 12:35 AM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

Anyone know any good recipes for sea scallops ?
I was thinking about grilling them.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:57 PM
tommygun32

DON'T GRILL THEM!! [X(]

Scallops are extremely delicate, you'd destroy them bro.

Classic method...hot non-stick ban, butter, pinch salt & pepper, small squeeze of lemon..done.

They take literraly 30 seconds each side in a hot pan.

Place them on a nice salad or use in pasta with cream, white wine & parsley sauce.

If you want decadence...[:-]...this is my favorite:

Using the old shells (the curved side and cleaned real well) place one scallop in the center of each shell. The shells should be placed on a big cookie sheet or something. As a main dish, 12 scallops are good for 2 people. As a starter, 3 scallops for 4 people.

Mix in a bowl the following:

1/4 stick softened butter
1/2 cup fresh grated parmesian
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
3 Tbs fresh chopped parsley
3 Tbs fresh chopped basil
2 - 3 finely chopped garlic colves
Juice of 1 lemon
pinch of salt and a good grind of pepper.

Place a nice spoon full of the mixture on top of each scallop. If you have any extra, just divide evenly amongst all the scallops.

Get the broiler in your oven on HIGH.. Put under the broiler and just watch them. PLEASE DON'T GO ANYWHERE. Keep your eyes on the scallops. In about 2 minutes or less, Everything will have melted and started to bubble. The edges will start to catch color. DONE

Serve with a nice salad, crusty bread and steamed artichokes or blanced baby asperagus bunches wrapped in smoky bacon that's been fried off. Glass of nice medium dry white wouldn't go a-miss with this meal.

Enjoy...

Old 04-16-2010, 04:00 PM
iexion

I played with curry in chili and i can pretty much tell you it really belongs there.

Its a pretty simple recipe for basic chili (not to my specs but she's a picky ass eater)
I will have to repost later with the ingredients

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.