Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Cooking thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:36 PM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cooking thread

Thanks for the recipe tommygun32 but the taste of them was too much for me to handle in fact a lot of people would say they are pretty darn disgusting.
I mean when they are fresh the smell is pretty overwhelming; the very strong smell they have stunk up my refrigerator for hours even after I took them out
I grilled them with a recipe I found on the foodnetwork.com-Grilled Sea Scallops with Avocado-Corn Relish on Crisp Tortillas.
Even after you grill them that strong pungent seafood still stays in them; AND THE TASTE IS AN EXTREMELY ACQUIRED TASTE.
I mean the only way I was able to to take down 2 of them was buy stuffing my mouth first with Avocado-Corn Relish and Crisp Tortillas until I said to hell with these things.
Definitely not for finicky eaters.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:02 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

im pretty good at baking brownies.  does that make me a cook?
Old 04-17-2010, 09:50 AM
tommygun32

basketballfan, fresh scallops should never smell that bad bro. They should have a light sea breeze smell to them. And they shouldn't be hard to eat at all, they are actually quite sweet and a very light or soft texture. Sounds to me like those had gone off a bit mate.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 AM
tommygun32

Depends on what the secret ingredient in your brownies is SH...[:-]

Got ahold of two very nice yellow fin tuna steaks yesterday. My wife can't stand fish when it's medium rare (the way I like it) or not cooked all the way through. But if you do that to tuna....it'll just be bone dry.

So here's what i came up with.

Splash of olive oil
2 Yellow fin tuna steaks
1 can of peeled cherry tomatoes
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 banana shallot chopped
3 baby courgette chopped
8 button mushrooms quartered
1/4 cup black olives chopped ruff
1/2 cup white wine
Squeeze of half a lemon
Salt, Fresh cracked pepper and dried oregano to taste
Small handful of fresh basil chopped chiffonade
Small handful of fresh flat leave parsley chopped fine

Saute the shallots until soft, fry off the mushrooms and after about 2 minutes add the courgettes and saute for another 2 minutes. Add the garlic and fry that off. Now add the white wine and let it cook out until about 1/2 the liquid is gone. Add the dried oregano and then the can of tomatoes. Lightly crush them with the cooking spoon, but keep them a bit chunky, they'll break down more as they cook. Add your basil now and simmer for about 10 - 15 minutes.

Season your tuna with a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides, and rub a small amount of olive oil over them as well. On a griddle pan (or flat pan is ok) sear both sides on really high heat (pan was smoking) for about 30 seconds each side.

Now gently transfer the two steaks into the tomatoe sauce, add the olives and simmer for another 8 - 10 minutes. Just before time to plate up, add your parsley and squeeze of lemon.

I served this to my wife on a bed of flash wilted baby spinach leaves with more garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. My son got it on a bed of fettucinni.

Perfectly cooked through tuna steaks that are still moist.

If you think about it, the sauce is a cross between a classic Italian puntanesca and a French Ratatoullie....there I go again, never mind.

It was deeelish!!
Old 07-28-2010, 01:32 AM
tommygun32

East / West Salmon

1-2 nice piece of salmon
3 Tbs Teriyaki sauce
1 tsp light soya sauce
1 Tbs virgin olive oil
1 tsp REAL maple syrup
squeeze of half a lemon
pinch of salt and a couple grinds of pepper

Mix all the ingredients together in a shallow bowl and let the fish marinade in it for about 1/2 hour or so.

Grill on medium high heat over coal, in a grill pan or saute pan.

Serve with what ever you want; buttered herb pasta, steamed veggies, ginger garlic wok fried veggies, baked potato, etc....whatever you want.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:59 AM
tonyob

I've also run into the simple fact that a number of people who have "original" or "family" recipes want to keep them SECRET!! Like actaully take their recipes to their graves...

This I don't get. The whole joy of cooking to me is sharing that passion for flavor. I can't count the amount of times I've made something for a pot luck or bbq party or something and someone says, "wow, this is great. what's in it?" and I'll go and write down the recipe for them.
I agree with you about not understanding those who won't share a recipe.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 AM
tonyob

fresh scallops should never smell that bad bro. They should have a light sea breeze smell to them. And they shouldn't be hard to eat at all, they are actually quite sweet and a very light or soft texture
Yep, that's exactly my experience. Good scallops are definitely sweet to the taste. You can tell they are seafood but never strong like mussels.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:45 AM
jd31

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would share my ingredients to the thai food i cook but i put ingredients in at random based on taste testes
Old 07-28-2010, 12:42 PM
tommygun32

Tonight's dinner:

Beer Butt Chicken with a Jamaican Jerk rub.
Roasted fennel and onion salad with orange segments, mint and parsley
Mashed potato, baked yams and baked potato (different tastes for different people )
Garlic and lemon sauted baby carrots and mangetoute (sugar snaps)
Salad

= an entire happy family.[8D]
Old 07-28-2010, 04:01 PM
jd31

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Tonight's dinner:

Beer Butt Chicken with a Jamaican Jerk rub.
Roasted fennel and onion salad with orange segments, mint and parsley
Mashed potato, baked yams and baked potato (different tastes for different people )
Garlic and lemon sauted baby carrots and mangetoute (sugar snaps)
Salad

= an entire happy family.[8D]
that sounds great, i just dont have the patience to cook that, so i eat thai seafood fried rice
Old 07-29-2010, 01:47 AM
tommygun32

My wife and I went to Thailand for our honeymoon. Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phukett. What a brilliant time and I absolutely fell in love with the food. We tried EVERYTHING, but back to the subject of food, my favorite meal I had was a meal sized serving for 2 of Yam Wun Sen. The chef used about 40 birds eye chilis in our dish. [X(] It was SO Blow your head off spicy, but still tasted AMAZING, I couldn't stop eating it even though i was crying, my lips and eyes were swelling up and sweat was pouring down our faces. The chef sent out ice cream on the house after we finished the dish.

It was funny as anything. We must have been a sight. We were pouring packets of sugar in our mouths trying to get things to cool off.. The chef was probably watching us from the kitchen peeing his pants with laughter at the two stupid foreigners.

Another favorite was the massive "Fish Market" restaurant in Bangkok. I could live in that place.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:55 AM
jd31

the fish market is truely a sight, did you try the thai crissonts?
Old 08-01-2010, 04:48 AM
tommygun32

Well....they had croissants at the breakfast buffet, so I'm guessing they were made in the hotel.

Didn't alot of breadmaking skills come to Thailand via the French? Like in Vietnam? Some of the BEST French bread I've ever had was in Vietnam.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:40 PM
The_Shark

....It was funny as anything. We must have been a sight. We were pouring packets of sugar in our mouths trying to get things to cool off.. The chef was probably watching us from the kitchen peeing his pants with laughter at the two stupid foreigners.

Another favorite was the massive ''Fish Market'' restaurant in Bangkok. I could live in that place.
one day i hope to be a stupid foreigner i cant wait to move to near Melbourne AU, i love fish and have grown to like vegemite.
thats the problem with the US diet- not enough fish.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:54 PM
jd31

Well....they had croissants at the breakfast buffet, so I'm guessing they were made in the hotel.

Didn't alot of breadmaking skills come to Thailand via the French? Like in Vietnam? Some of the BEST French bread I've ever had was in Vietnam.
the croissants i am talking about are called 'pa-ta-koop" and yes, the french influenced thai breadmaking,but im not sure to what extent