Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

My New Shark

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 05:00 PM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: My New Shark

You will be fine. Just try to keep it out of the rain with spray can primer, and the spray can primer will not hurt the fiberglass.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:03 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today i got the water pump and generator in under 1.5hours, luckly everything poped right out. a friend re-did the carpet for the meantime and actually looks really good (pics soon)

only thing to do mechanicly is fix the minor oil and trans leak, exhaust pipe and fix the speed cable. then on the body side paint the nose, install new front bumper, targa top, re-do carpet and seats and put in front spoilers (found out it did have them, but now missing)

and down the road- vortec heads, intake, holly carb and cam, electric fan, mono-spring, rack system.

and she will be good to go
Old 08-09-2010, 01:25 PM
The_Shark

tune up this morning, not fun, riser solinoid, ac-box, alt and other things in the way, gaps on the split-fire plugs where .020-.030 spec is .045, running a ton better.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you find your new car? Bought it off a friend? Someone you know? eBay? Craig's List? Or?!
Old 08-09-2010, 02:43 PM
rowdog_14

Hey I had a trans leak with mine too. It is probably the same thing that was wrong with mine. Look at the end of the dip stick tub on the trans pan. There is a rubber adapter/ boot ( the same shape as the tube). Mine was missing the rubber boot and when I replaced the boot, NO MORE LEAKY TRANS. I got the boot from Oreillys auto parts it was a few bucks.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:46 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

Where did you find your new car? Bought it off a friend? Someone you know? eBay? Craig's List? Or?!
saw it on craigslist, went there with a buddy of mine and found out he was related to the seller. he did not want to sell the car and wanted to restore it himself but he needed the money.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:48 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: rowdog_14

Hey I had a trans leak with mine too. It is probably the same thing that was wrong with mine. Look at the end of the dip stick tub on the trans pan. There is a rubber adapter/ boot ( the same shape as the tube). Mine was missing the rubber boot and when I replaced the boot, NO MORE LEAKY TRANS. I got the boot from Oreillys auto parts it was a few bucks.
had that problem with my volvo 850 i will get to that soon. leaks (unless coolant) bother me the least.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:32 PM
The_Shark

Speedo cable installed, trans to Cruise block was broken (has plastic tip) all linkages lubed and cleaned, 10.99 to fix and 15 minutes to put it in.

interior leak fixed, old cement cracked at wiper arm block $5.00 and 5minutes.

im gettin her done!
Old 08-16-2010, 02:14 PM
J.D.T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no need to keep it stock, every 1978 got the aniversarry badges, over 50,000 of them in fact, not even the indy pace car version was rare over 6500 were done, the two tone option numbers were in the 15,000 range so not alot of collectability even for the "special" ones, don't worry about restoring and keeping it numbers matching enjoy it instead, just my .02
Old 08-16-2010, 07:36 PM
The_Shark

even then they still fetch more money than 77's 79's and 80's but you are right, i will keep the blue color in the inside, but she is getting heads come winter.

im actually thinking about keeping the Rochester on there, it can flow 750CFM, which is as much as a Holly 750, plus i like the little two barrels and the two monster barrels design.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:52 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Quadrajets are the best carburetors you can put on a street driven 4 barrel toy, assuming you know somebody that can work with it.

Shark, if you need a Qjet guy, ThunderbirdJunkie can hook you up. He has Qjetted 5,000 lb Cadillacs running low 11s to mid 10s.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:17 PM
The_Shark

im teaching myself around it, its actually pretty complicated, with the vac operated veins and such (had a bad hose to that one, got that fixed) during the winter im tearing it down, cleaning jets, replacing the filter and gaskets and such, we will see how that goes[X(]

i got it tuned up today, it was running too lean, which caused it to misfire on deceleration, runs like a top now.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:21 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderbirdJunkie hates carbs and wants nothing to do with them.

He pays other people to mess with them unless it's just a rebuild. And at that point, somebody else gets paid to tune them
Old 08-16-2010, 08:33 PM
The_Shark

aww, i thought you like Dino-Tech

FI definetly has its ups, but its so stupid to put so many sensors just for the sake of emmisions[] you could run off a cam/crank sensor, IAC,IAT,CTS and Map.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:29 PM
The_Shark

well i was doing a alignment today (least favorite job) doing camber on the rear one side went right in, -.8 exactly what i wanted, went to the other side, hulked it loose and got it to exactly -.8 but i culdnt get it to tighten, i tried and tried, used my foot as a arm, used a strong impact-nothing, so i got angry and he-man-hulked it felt it tighten a little and then POW!!! so now its rigged up[:@] good news is the part will be here in the morning so i can slide that baby right in.

original alignment F-R 3cas -.6cam -.5toe
F-L 2.5cas -.4cam +.5toe
R-R +1.4 cam -.18toe
R-L +.30 cam .08 toe
Now R-L -.82 R-R -1.60

tomorrow its getting sway bar links too and new diff fluid.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:05 PM
The_Shark

got the sway bar links in a few minutes ago, easy to remove except for the fact that its 100 turns of a wrench[:@].
went to put on the new urethane sway bar kit and it showed why they say "meets or exceeds manufacture specs" yeah no #### 1/4 too tall bushings, so out came the butter knife and cut one in half, problem fixed.

i cant believe it made such a difference- old ones where cracked but still there, but now it barely leans.

tomorrow hopefully i can slap in that eccentric and fix the alignment, it depends how buisy work is.
and maybe get around to fixing that loose wire to the dash for the turn signals and replace the courtesy light fuse and bulb.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:30 PM
jd31

sounds like its coming alon well,
its goning to be great to see some pics of it fully restored
Old 08-20-2010, 06:39 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: jd31

sounds like its coming alon well,
its goning to be great to see some pics of it fully restored
[sm=stupid.gif] well i dont think its ever going to get there- unless i keep it and ship it with me in a few years... but it will be much better looking, faster and reliable once im done.

rear alignment done, thrust angle is only .01 not bad for a 32year old car, tie rods are stubborn, tried everything under the sun (cept torch) and one side wont budge, oh well, gives me a reason to replace them
Old 08-21-2010, 07:34 PM
rowdog_14

The way you are posting you will be done with the car by December I gave my self five years on mine but I ran out of money and my planes took front seat, and I have put the stingray and the Porsche 928 on the back burner. I am going to give myself another 5 years. Keep going and keep posting pics
Old 08-21-2010, 07:56 PM
justavillain

My dad has a few Vettes and one is an 80(the model after yours) and he burned the speedo up racing a old school whale tail.  It spun around 3 times and hasn't moved since.

The thing is a lot of the parts will be hard to find in perfect condition.  The paint is very weak too.  It oxidizes really easy.  But the motor is easy to get parts for.  Good ol Quadrajet, it's a pig of a carb but easy to work on.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:13 PM
The_Shark

going to work today in the early morning i noticed the passenger floor was soaked again after the rain so that wiper arm wansnt the only leak, also, when i closed my door my passenger door window fell and wouldnt go back up!

well pissed off i went to work and when i got home i pulled the door panel off and gave the window a go, thinking it was either a bent track or ruined wheel or (hopefully) a broken rivet, i found out one of the two rivets poped out, a trip to the home depot and 88Cents later and its good as new

i also adjusted and lubed the headlight doors, almost work perfect now (one eye is just a half second before the other)

tomorrow im fixing the interior leak for good and going to attempt to diagnose the power door locks.

funny you should say that Row, i was looking at a 928 before i bought this fiberglass tank.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:35 PM
The_Shark

i drove her on a rural road to clean out some carbon, not giving all it has im honestly suprised at how powerfull this car is even in higher rpms. im starting to think that the heads are not original simply because of the power supply, plus it has evidence it has been replaced- all emmisions bypassed, slightly tweaked fuel lines, use of rtv as a valve cover gasket. im going to get a closer look.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:51 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Check the head casting numbers. Are they centerbolt heads by chance?
Old 08-23-2010, 07:16 PM
The_Shark

i cant find any numbers, they are not center bolt (not vortec[&o]) there is also a different alt bracket installed (cap on pow steer is almost un-accessible)

there is a little blue paint on the heads, although, they could've been painted years ago.

its probably factory, but it seems overly peppy for 200HP, my lighter volvo had 250hp and it wasnt even near this.

also checked today, no blow by, and the pcv breather sucks hard, so i think this will be a good canidate for new heads. just need to sell my miata[:@]
Old 08-23-2010, 07:27 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

It may have double hump heads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.