RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/)
-   -   boyd coddington, roy shmidtt , duane mayer (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/10533540-boyd-coddington-roy-shmidtt-duane-mayer.html)

splcrazy 05-21-2011 08:18 PM

boyd coddington, roy shmidtt , duane mayer
 
hello all i may be a FEW YEARS LATE but lol i just found out that boyd and roy is dead and duane might be working at KFC lol . i just got my new tv setup with the new digital channels and was enjoying watching american hotrod and the other one called monster garage , and decided to watch some other american hot rod shows on youtube and discovered that boyd and roy are dead , and the place closed down lol . thats just typical of any place over the world when the brains of the bussines dies or what ever the place closes down and everyone losses their jobs.

Dirty_Vinylpusher 05-21-2011 11:30 PM

RE: boyd coddington, roy shmidtt , duane mayer
 
I've been following American Hotrod and Monster Garage for a while now.
Usually record it so I can FFWD through the commercials.

Monster Garage is awesome.

The stuff they build is amazing to watch and they really get some talented people to come on the show.
I just watched the one with the old skool Hot rodders.
How cool was that oldest guy?!?!? (forget his name)
82 years old, still sucking on cigars and just plodding along.

Jesse James comes across as a bit of a tool at times but there's no denying the man's talent when it comes to fabricating and welding and he has a great eye for what looks good and what doesn't.

The only thing that bugs the crap outta me with Monster Garage is that Big Schwag guy who does to commentary at the end.
There's no need to have some idiot like that yelling "YOU'VE GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!" at the start of each sentence.





Now,
American Hotrod.


I remember reading car magazines and looking at Boyd's creations like 20-25 years ago.
The guy was an awesome designer and to some extent pioneer and trendsetter in the hotrod scene.
I always liked his mixture of old skool and new sleek designs.

It's a shame they made the TV show the way they did though.

I'd really like to see more about the actual process of building the cars than the endless bickering about the short deadlines and Duayne yelling at everyone etc etc.

Every show is the same.

Open the roller doors
Duayne slamming his door
Boyd walks in to the shop
Everyone complaining
Roy falls asleep
Exterior shots of the building
etc etc etc

I know you shouldn't speak ill of the dead and all that, but Boyd comes across as a real tosser in this show, and I dont' think it's just the way it's been edited.

He fires people left right and centre, and the ones that don't get fired end up leaving because of the pressure.
Everyone tells him the deadlines are too short and his only reply is "That's hotrodding"

I was amazed at the episode with the woody where they've fired/lost half of the crew and Boyd thinks it's a good idea to build the most complicated car ever in no time at all to "lighten the mood".
[&:]
And then he's surprised when Charley quits.
Charley seems like a cool guy by the way.


Another thing that made me question his judgement was the whole Bluebear build-off thing.
Did he REALLY think that was gonna work?






splcrazy 05-22-2011 01:43 AM

RE: boyd coddington, roy shmidtt , duane mayer
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty_Vinylpusher

I've been following American Hotrod and Monster Garage for a while now.
Usually record it so I can FFWD through the commercials.

Monster Garage is awesome.

The stuff they build is amazing to watch and they really get some talented people to come on the show.
I just watched the one with the old skool Hot rodders.
How cool was that oldest guy?!?!? (forget his name)
82 years old, still sucking on cigars and just plodding along.

Jesse James comes across as a bit of a tool at times but there's no denying the man's talent when it comes to fabricating and welding and he has a great eye for what looks good and what doesn't.

The only thing that bugs the crap outta me with Monster Garage is that Big Schwag guy who does to commentary at the end.
There's no need to have some idiot like that yelling ''YOU'VE GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!'' at the start of each sentence.





Now,
American Hotrod.


I remember reading car magazines and looking at Boyd's creations like 20-25 years ago.
The guy was an awesome designer and to some extent pioneer and trendsetter in the hotrod scene.
I always liked his mixture of old skool and new sleek designs.

It's a shame they made the TV show the way they did though.

I'd really like to see more about the actual process of building the cars than the endless bickering about the short deadlines and Duayne yelling at everyone etc etc.

Every show is the same.

Open the roller doors
Duayne slamming his door
Boyd walks in to the shop
Everyone complaining
Roy falls asleep
Exterior shots of the building
etc etc etc

I know you shouldn't speak ill of the dead and all that, but Boyd comes across as a real tosser in this show, and I dont' think it's just the way it's been edited.

He fires people left right and centre, and the ones that don't get fired end up leaving because of the pressure.
Everyone tells him the deadlines are too short and his only reply is ''That's hotrodding''

I was amazed at the episode with the woody where they've fired/lost half of the crew and Boyd thinks it's a good idea to build the most complicated car ever in no time at all to ''lighten the mood''.
[&:]
And then he's surprised when Charley quits.
Charley seems like a cool guy by the way.


Another thing that made me question his judgement was the whole Bluebear build-off thing.
Did he REALLY think that was gonna work?






i dunno man im speechless still cant believe he is dead , so what are we watching then repeats ? do you know what car they were working on when he died ? he died in 2008 and 3 years later its still on tv hahaha . you could see it in boyds eyes though that he knew he was pressured into the deadlines and i think that he never liked it aswell but he hardly showed his emotions on that and thats why i think alot of people took him as a ***** of a guy . i dont know i still like boyd i dont blame him , but i blame the customers for those idiotic deadlines on the cars especially that idiot owner of the red corvett that guy was just a wealthy rich jerk , what boyd should have done was shake the hand of all the builders who done that corvett its not money but respect that builds morale and a sense of being appreciated , its just a shame that he died and the bussiness closed down , what happened to his damn wife ? they could have still continued and just put duane in charge for the time being or what about boyds 5 SONS where the hell are they ? i think charlie leaving was a shock to him , but thats what happens over a whole bunch of years of just constant pressure .

yeah monster garage was awesome with those old guys working on that car cutting and sectioning the car , man that car looked freaking awesome in the end . but i dont know about the whole 7 days build thing lol , like how can they strip a whole car do a bunch of mods on it and put it back together like a show car in 1 week ? when american hotrod struggles for 6 weeks to build just one car ?

Dirty_Vinylpusher 05-22-2011 01:51 AM

RE: boyd coddington, roy shmidtt , duane mayer
 
From what I've seen so far the Corvette owner is pretty much the only guy other than Boyd to set the deadlines.
Most of the other cars I've seen them build have been rushed cause Boyd wanted them to be at a certain car show or for a magazine shoot.


I think his wife tried to keep the shop going but dunno what happened in the end.




Quote:

he died in 2008 and 3 years later its still on tv hahaha
American Hotrod went from 2004 - 2007

Monster Garage was filmed between 2002 and 2006



Dirty_Vinylpusher 05-22-2011 09:13 PM

RE: boyd coddington, roy shmidtt , duane mayer
 
Quote:

duane might be working at KFC lol
Do you believe everything you read in the comments section on YouTube? :eek:


Duane and Bernt Karlsson have started their own shop.

[link=http://www.americanhotrodsinc.com/]CLICK HERE[/link]

As if Duane would stop workign on cars just because Boyd died.
He's clearly got skills and knows what he's doing, regardless of the fact that he comes across as an ass on the show.


Bernt (originally from Sweden, like me) built one of the most insane VW Beetles years ago.
The Pink Lady.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsrHAR0VTBQ[/youtube]




As for Jo and the others carrying on with the shop after Boyd died, there wasn't really much point was there?
Boyd did all the design work, people came there to have their cars designed by him and now that he's not there they'd just be running a shop in his name, which wouldn't be the same thing.



splcrazy 05-23-2011 12:06 AM

RE: boyd coddington, roy shmidtt , duane mayer
 
what happened to the baldy sweedish guy and mike the guy with the alien looking face lol that guys top lip and mouth looks realy weird when he talks i hear words but his mouth is hardly moving lol

john01374 05-23-2011 10:43 AM

RE: boyd coddington, roy shmidtt , duane mayer
 
It's good to see Duane started his own shop. There was a short time where the worked for the hacks at West coast customs and it was fairly oblivious from the first episode that he didn't fit in there. He's a true craftsman with a lot of skills. He people skills could use some work but I'm wondering how much of that was built up for the camera.

All of these shows are the same OCC, WCC, American Hot Rod etc etc. It's drama that sells TV and these shows really weren't about building cars. More like soap operas for stay at home dads. No shop can operate successfully with that amount of whining and crying going on. As for Boyd firing people. He should have kept the couple of talented guys he had and fired the rest of the group.

Charlie has gone on to work for Foose and painted a coupe of the Riddler cars. Not sure where he works today but with his resume I'm sure he's demanding big dollars and can pick his projects.

john01374 05-23-2011 10:52 AM

RE: boyd coddington, roy shmidtt , duane mayer
 
..

Dirty_Vinylpusher 05-23-2011 12:52 PM

RE: boyd coddington, roy shmidtt , duane mayer
 
Quote:

All of these shows are the same OCC, WCC, American Hot Rod etc etc. It's drama that sells TV and these shows really weren't about building cars. More like soap operas for stay at home dads.

It's a shame though for those of us who are interested in seeing a bit more of the work they do and a bit less of the fighting.

American Chopper was even worse.
It was like one long Jerry Springer marathon with a few bikes in the studio.

At least in Monster Garage they show a fair amount of the fabricating and building stuff.






All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:46 PM.