RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/)
-   -   Online Txt'ing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/10844108-online-txting.html)

buggyboy2010 12-05-2011 07:27 AM

Online Txt'ing

Was wondering if there is an online based text message 'send and receive' site or program?, Wife recently got a new job and for some reason requires her to bring the cell phone EVERYDAY..... So I'm left with nothing. haha.

DarkFire989 12-05-2011 08:28 AM

RE: Online Txt'ing

You can use email to message phone numbers. My mom does it to me since she doesnt have txting.

proanti1 12-05-2011 01:27 PM

You could try clamtext... but it's limited without a subscription.

Dirty_Vinylpusher 12-05-2011 01:52 PM

Remember the days when this was the only way to communicate with people?

http://michigantelephone.files.wordp...ng?w=464&h=320

Life was so much easier then.

:D

buggyboy2010 12-05-2011 01:55 PM

I 100% agree!, I honestly do hate cell phones, but in order to get a hold of ANYONE these days it is either facebook or Txt message, friggen irritating!

ORIGINAL: Dirty_Vinylpusher

http://michigantelephone.files.wordp...=464&h=320

Dirty_Vinylpusher 12-05-2011 02:03 PM

I 100% agree!, I honestly do hate cell phones, but in order to get a hold of ANYONE these days it is either facebook or Txt message, friggen irritating!
I wouldn't say I hate cell/mobile phones.
They're handy.
And I need mine for work anyway, but I don't bother with Facebook or Twitter or anything like that.

But if I REALLY need to speak to someone I will call them.
If it's something non urgent I'll send a text.

It's funny though, before mobile phones I used to know 20-25 phone numbers off the top of my head.
Then mobiles came along and all of a sudden there was no need to remember numbers anymore.
Then people started texting and emailing and speaking less.
Then Facebook came along and now nobody can be bothered to even write a personal email.

Where's it all gonna end?

I love it when people text you asking to send them a text back when it's a good time for them to call you.
Just call me FFS!
Most of the time I'll be available anyway.
:eek:

Anyway, going off topic here.

sheograth 12-05-2011 02:48 PM

I can't even imagine life without a cell phone. I'm only 23 so by the time I was 15 I had one but still....my god imagine trying to coordinate meeting people. It's even worse now that I have an iPhone, I can't live without mobile internet, GPS, etc. I want to get an iPhone 4S and I'll probably get hooked on that darn voice command thing too.

proanti1 12-05-2011 02:49 PM

http://www.textually.org/textually/a...telegraph1.jpg

Yeah, I dont either... because technology evolves, and pushes old technology into obsolescence.

DarkFire989 12-05-2011 04:25 PM

Here you go man.....

[link]http://sms411.net/how-to-send-email-to-a-phone/[/link]

Dirty_Vinylpusher 12-05-2011 05:56 PM

I can't even imagine life without a cell phone.
my god imagine trying to coordinate meeting people.
Well..... somehow we all managed to do that back in the day.
Guess we just rang eachother and said "Meet you at X in 3 hours"

technology evolves, and pushes old technology into obsolescence
Of course it does, and I'm all for new gadgets and toys, but what I was getting at is that communication is getting less and less personal.

These days it's more about sending a group of people a YouTube link someone else sent you, rather than calling someone out of the blue to ask how their day was.

I'm not trying to say that I'm better or wiser than you younger guys just because I was around before all this stuff became commonplace.
I'm just reflecting on it.

That's all.

:)

The_Shark 12-06-2011 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: proanti1

http://www.textually.org/textually/a...telegraph1.jpg

Yeah, I dont either... because technology evolves, and pushes old technology into obsolescence.
you'll be wishing you had either of those things when it all comes down! im kidding:eek: or am i?[&:]

old tech in my mind is superior in many many ways. heck i have a 65year old fan mixing the air in my room, a 1986 stereo to jam out to and my 1973 kirby to clean with, just finished some soldering with a 60year old iron.

technology is useful, however there are times when something is over done and its original purpose is forgotten, like cell phones... its a cell PHONE not a cell COMPUTER/CAMERA/GPS/GAME SYSTEM. why would one want all those things on a PHONE??? its a jack of all trades master of NONE, pictures are underwhelming, games are simplistic and crappy, internet is restricted and hard to read, and of all things the sound quality of the PHONE part of the phone/computer/camera/gps/game system is CRAPPY!!!

on top of that you have a phone for more than 1 year and your OLD news, by the time you get Iphone X they already have Iphone Y out! no sense in chasing tech, it will out-run you.

i refuse the system, i like using something that proforms its intended purpose the way it should.

Dirty_Vinylpusher 12-07-2011 09:36 PM

I'd love to have one of those old telegraph thingo's.
They're a work of art.

:)

ThunderbirdJunkie 12-08-2011 12:07 AM

You can use AIM to IM cell phone numbers via text. Add new contact, input the phone number, and voila! Your recipient receives a text message!

ThunderbirdJunkie used to do this with his ex while she was at work and he was putzing around the house perusing RCU and Jeep sites [&:]

DaveG55 12-08-2011 06:21 AM

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

you'll be wishing you had either of those things when it all comes down! im kidding:eek: or am i?[&:]
Of the people in my immeadiate circle I am the only one who keeps a home land line. However, I'm begining to think it's a useless idea. Why? If the catastrophy is bad enough to take out cell service then it's very, very likely to be bad enough to take out the infrastructure that supports the phones service too. You may have an old, old piece of hardware on your desk but the phone company certainly isn't still using a switch board with an operator asking "how may I connect you"!

old tech in my mind is superior in many many ways. heck i have a 65year old fan mixing the air in my room, a 1986 stereo to jam out to and my 1973 kirby to clean with, just finished some soldering with a 60year old iron.
Thank God there are people like you to buy the old crap I have when I get the new stuff. And I most often sell it for more than I paid for it when it was new.
But your statement makes me wonder about your RC's... Do you still use 60's/70's cars and only the old resistor style speed controls with low output NiCad batterys and old AM radios?

i refuse the system, i like using something that proforms its intended purpose the way it should.
Those two sentances don't really make much sense togeather. Especially when the one refusing the system is posted on the WWW using what has to be a fairly modern computer.
And the second sentance too really. That modern piece of electronics obviously worked as it should since we can all read what you typed...

And, for the record, my smart phone performes every one of it's functions better than the first seperate device (for the individual functions) ever did. My first cell phone sucked wind compared to this phone. My first camera took terrable pictures compared, my first gps lost signal way more than my phone, even internet access is way, way better than the old dial-up modem connection I first got on the net with. There is nothing that my phone does worse than the first device I owned for the same purpose.

Oh, and I'm well into my 50's so it's NOT an age thing!

The Hedgehog 12-08-2011 06:51 AM

ORIGINAL: DaveG55
And, for the record, my smart phone performes every one of it's functions better than the first seperate device (for the individual functions) ever did. My first cell phone sucked wind compared to this phone. My first camera took terrable pictures compared, my first gps lost signal way more than my phone, even internet access is way, way better than the old dial-up modem connection I first got on the net with. There is nothing that my phone does worse than the first device I owned for the same purpose.

++++1

My cell phone is better GPS than my standalone unit (google maps FTW?). It is a great camera to always have on me, 8 mp takes great photos for me. HD video just as good as my mini DV camcorder. Phone calls? Works great could be in the middle of installing a 500 mb game and someone will call and it will pick right up. And games? Yeah I like them, yeah they are just as good as any hand held system (almost) right now.

It's a great device to have if one wants it.

PS (shark) iphone come out every year (if not longer), and the release date is always known, I have never seen anyone buy and older model close to a new release date unless there was a big sale on the phones.

DaveG55 12-08-2011 07:15 AM

ORIGINAL: buggyboy2010

Was wondering if there is an online based text message 'send and receive' site or program?, Wife recently got a new job and for some reason requires her to bring the cell phone EVERYDAY..... So I'm left with nothing. haha.

If you go to google and type in "computer to phone text" you will get so many choices your question will change from "is there one" to "which one". Seriously, the first page of the search has at least 8 free services to do just what you want.

But really, why not just get another cell? They are not that expensive and being able to be connected can be a life saving thing...
And I wonder, if you have to use a computer to get your wife, how does she reach you? Especially in an emergency?

DaveG55 12-08-2011 07:20 AM

Ok and one other, last thing.

Text speak... I understand it's original purpose, to reduce charicters in a limited space message where each message was charged for.

But in the title to this thread you put "Txt'ing". What's the point there? The # of charicters is exactly the same as "Texting"

The_Shark 12-08-2011 08:34 AM

Of the people in my immeadiate circle I am the only one who keeps a home land line. However, I'm begining to think it's a useless idea. Why? If the catastrophy is bad enough to take out cell service then it's very, very likely to be bad enough to take out the infrastructure that supports the phones service too. You may have an old, old piece of hardware on your desk but the phone company certainly isn't still using a switch board with an operator asking ''how may I connect you''!

Thank God there are people like you to buy the old crap I have when I get the new stuff. And I most often sell it for more than I paid for it when it was new.
But your statement makes me wonder about your RC's... Do you still use 60's/70's cars and only the old resistor style speed controls with low output NiCad batterys and old AM radios?

Those two sentances don't really make much sense togeather. Especially when the one refusing the system is posted on the WWW using what has to be a fairly modern computer.
And the second sentance too really. That modern piece of electronics obviously worked as it should since we can all read what you typed...

Oh, and I'm well into my 50's so it's NOT an age thing!
i use only brushless and lipo setups now, the techknology works much better than what it took over, each needs to do one purpose, to spin, and to power, and they do that task well.

like said, i agree with tech when it proforms its purpose, you can read this yes, it works, i like it, but its a computer, its one of its main tasks, however a PHONE is a PHONE and i refuse to use it when i can use a computer with a large screen, big keyboard and a fast CPU.

i do like technology, i do use it, but the mixing and mashing functions into something that was never intended to do those things i flat out reject. much like traxxas's new xo-1 not allowing you to go full speed without using a phone app, to go online and change the settings on your car from a satillite STUPID give me a program card!! and the number of non hobby r/c's that run off your phone, THATS not laggy right?

its like having a toaster that can toast, mix batter, cool your cans of beer, play music, give you status updates and core a apple at the same time, its stupid and unnecessary.

i use what ever works best, be it brand new or a 100 years old.

DaveG55 12-08-2011 08:58 AM

My smart phone was ALWAYS intended to do all the things it does.

To me, the convience of having all those things togeather in one, small portable device is a dream come true.
Are there times when seperate devices are more convient, sure. When I go on a trip I will use a stand alone GPS rather than my phone. But, when I'm just out it's easier to use the phone. I can get a call to meet someone somewhere and find the address, map it and get directions while still talking on the phone.
When I'm just out and about and see something that I want a photo of, I have a great little camera right there. Instead of having to say "darn, i wish I had my camera with me". And, at 8mp it does better than any single purpose camera I've ever owned.
Besides, who's to say what things were meant to be combined and which weren't? Simpley because two things were not invented at the same time does not mean that they are not better togeather than apart. It does not mean they are stupid and unnecessary - well, depending on your idea of necessary. I used to use detailed, street level maps that came in 250+ page books for work (in fact I still have them somewhere, wanna buy them?) but now exclusivly use an "unnecessary" GPS.

Oh, and my wife uses a machine the mixes indgreadants, proofs and bakes too. Makes some really good bread! Stupid? Unnecessary? IDK, but I do know that now I can have homemade bread and still spend time with my wife and not have to be home all day while she bakes it.

ThunderbirdJunkie 12-08-2011 11:54 AM

i do like technology, i do use it, but the mixing and mashing functions into something that was never intended to do those things i flat out reject. much like traxxas's new xo-1 not allowing you to go full speed without using a phone app, to go online and change the settings on your car from a satillite STUPID give me a program card!! and the number of non hobby r/c's that run off your phone, THATS not laggy right?
You have no idea how the Traxxas XO1 works, do you?

The iPhone/iPod is only an interface and essentially makes the transmitter into a computer radio. It has nothing to do with satellites. If it did, then you wouldn't be able to use an iPod.

Your disdain for technology is blatantly obviously directly related to your lack of understanding technology.

buggyboy2010 12-08-2011 12:29 PM

Haha, I did that prior to posting this, and that was the issue, there were so many sites I didn't know which one was decent and on top of that I wanted to know if there was one site where I could send AND recieve Txt's. New phone is on the way though!

** So to My origanal question, I doubt such a site exists?
Edit: And if I did miss anyone's reply, sorry, got a bit flooded haha,

ORIGINAL: buggyboy2010

If you go to google and type in "computer to phone text" you will get so many choices your question will change from "is there one" to "which one". Seriously, the first page of the search has at least 8 free services to do just what you want.

But really, why not just get another cell? They are not that expensive and being able to be connected can be a life saving thing...
And I wonder, if you have to use a computer to get your wife, how does she reach you? Especially in an emergency?

Dirty_Vinylpusher 12-08-2011 12:53 PM

i use what ever works best, be it brand new or a 100 years old.
I'm with you on that one.

While I love my analogue media, I still love the ease of accessibility these days when it comes to music, film and information in general.
Prime example - when Skrillex released the single Scary monsters and nice sprites, I kept catching bits of it on the radio but never heard the name of tune.

Quick Google search for "Dubstep track Yes oh my god" and within seconds I knew who it was and not long after I had downloaded the MP3.

"Back in my day" you'd hear something on the radio, see it on TV, and if you weren't ready with the cassette or VHS to record it, you might not come across it until the following week.
Unless a friend had it on vinyl or tape, and you could arrange to have it copied on to cassette.
Something that wasn't always that easy either.

a toaster that can toast, mix batter, cool your cans of beer, play music, give you status updates and core a apple at the same time
Most likely USB powered ;)