RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/)
-   -   Thinking of getting my 1st peace maker. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/10930081-thinking-getting-my-1st-peace-maker.html)

The_Shark 01-29-2012 05:40 PM

RE: Thinking of getting my 1st peace maker.

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

Okay so then what exactly are you adding to this discussion of semi autos?
what are YOU adding???

im out of here, have fun you troll.
Me? I gave a few more options for large capacity auto 9s.
i didnt want to come back but to clear things up (because some people need to be spoon fed like little babies)
what did you add to bickering with me? "what exactly are you adding to this discussion of semi autos?" asking, rather TAUNTING a response from me that has NOTHING to do remotely with the thread, again pulling the attention from the thread rather to yourself and me like a TROLL.
i was talking about guns and MY tastes, he is looking for his first gun so i figure he will be open with other guns. read it or skip it, its your choice but wasting keystrokes to ask if it pertains to the post is a really childish thing to do.
also, the post was also in response to the big bore handguns, a 45LC is a big bore hand gun, just not a semi auto.

im sick and tired of you doing this, grow up, get your finger out of your bum already.

quietnas1 01-30-2012 08:54 AM

Ah c'mon guys. Both Shark and HHJJFFFAA gave good advise. I'm actually looking at a revolver as well now. Lets just all get along and continue with the good advice and feedback from everyone.

The_Shark 01-30-2012 04:11 PM

is this going to be a target gun or a defense gun?

quietnas1 01-30-2012 04:20 PM

More of a defense gun. I have shot plenty of rifles and have gone hunting for wild bores in the everglades a few times with friends. I don't own any rifles of my own and I have only fired a hand gun twice. It was a 380 just can't remember which one. I want it for home defense and concealed carry. The S&W .38 special looks like the perfect concealed carry weapon but the 9mm has the fire power and rounds that I like. And the ones I like are not that big. Idk. Uggghh.. This is hard man lol.

HJJFFFAA 01-30-2012 04:27 PM

If you're going to carry I'd say find a compact 9mm. The M&P9c is nice. 12 rounds in a compact package.

tapkoote 01-30-2012 04:33 PM

Revolvers are prety much trouble free.
I had a Taurus 380, after the first box, it started jamming.
Traded it of for their 357 mag, great gun , hard triger pull.
My fav. to carry is a 38 spl. short barrel, 5 shot, covered hammer.
Fits great in a pocket.
For the house , you don't have to aim a shot gun.
tap

FahrtAutoRC 01-30-2012 05:11 PM

If you aren't planning to go into an all out gunfight then capacity is more of a phallic extension than a necessity. Out of all the CCW pieces I have seen and fired, the one that the owner was happiest with was a simple Taurus .38 snub revolver. The guy also has a .38 derringer for his boot, but the revolver will likely be all you really need, and it is simpler than most other offerings.

warheadforever 01-30-2012 07:03 PM

Please delete [:@][:'(]

Blkft1 01-30-2012 08:53 PM

In semi autos I like the SA XD's,Ruger SR9 [on my long list], P95 [little bulky but a great house/car/travel unit] and the S&W Sigma 9 [cheapy and with what I call a combat trigger but reliable]. If ya have the hands the Beretta 92SF is a great choice too just a little chunky in the grip for me so i gave it to my Bud for now. I like Taurus too but any of these mentioned are just a step above in reliablity [my opinion only],'cept the SR9 which havent had my mitts on one yet to checkout. I owned a Millenium pro in .45ACP a long while ago and just couldnt get it to function reliably no matter what ammo or magazine I tried [stovepiped]. Revolvers for carry in .38spl-older used S&W 36 Chiefs Special [no +P's but just plain cool], Ruger SP101[on my short list] or a Ruger LCR [.357M]. The LCR has been a newer aquisition of mine,shoots any type .38spl quite well and is not UN-reasonably too peppy in .357Magnum [depending].My dedicated house unit,range beast and traveling companion is a Ruger SS GP100 3".What I mean by traveling is a hotel/motel unit.

proanti1 01-31-2012 07:17 AM

You could also look at some of the Polish Radom P-64s, FEG PA-63s, and Makarovs... they are cheap, hold 7+1, and are extremely reliable. You can apply for a C&R for $30, then order one from a surplussing website for a couple hundred, shipped straight to your door. classicarms.us has them for $189.

The_Shark 01-31-2012 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

More of a defense gun. I have shot plenty of rifles and have gone hunting for wild bores in the everglades a few times with friends. I don't own any rifles of my own and I have only fired a hand gun twice. It was a 380 just can't remember which one. I want it for home defense and concealed carry. The S&W .38 special looks like the perfect concealed carry weapon but the 9mm has the fire power and rounds that I like. And the ones I like are not that big. Idk. Uggghh.. This is hard man lol.
i would go 357 mag if i where you, reliable, very lethal round, and the ability to shot .38 specials at the range.
OR you can go taurus judge, .45lc hydro shock rounds or .410ga. birdshot, buck shot or the special purpose made disk round, 4 disks with a few buck shot thrown in. idea is you spray birdshot or buckshot and if that doesnt work a .45 hydroshock will. they are snub nose but acurate enough for close range, and really comfortible.

for defense you have to think about fast draw, revolver you point and pull the trigger, SA you have to slide it back. you dont have as many rounds, but you really dont need more than 5 or 6.

tommygun32 02-01-2012 02:00 AM

Just a quick question gents. It's been mentioned that some models are good for carrying as concealed weapons. Don't you need to be licensed for that?

HJJFFFAA 02-01-2012 04:35 AM

It depends on the state you live in. Some states don't require any licensing, some states allow open carrying but need a license or don't allowed concealed, and some states pretty much don't allow it at all like my state.

The_Shark 02-01-2012 07:43 AM

in illinois there is absolutly no carry permitted, even visible carry. so your SOL in that respect.

i honestly think you should require a license, take a class and have a backround check before you carry, but you should still be able to carry.

makes it so only thugs have guns on them.

proanti1 02-01-2012 07:46 AM

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Just a quick question gents. It's been mentioned that some models are good for carrying as concealed weapons. Don't you need to be licensed for that?
Yes. Some states issue you a CHL (concealed handgun license), some states issue you a CWP (concealed weapons permit), some states issue a CCL (concealed carry license). Most states require some form of license to conceal carry. Some states allow open carry, like New Mexico, and some states do not require a license at all, like Alaska. You take a course, usually at a local range, qualify by shooting a given number of rounds at different distances from a paper target, then take a written test. The ATF approves you, then your states mails you the hard copy about a month or two later, like when you get a license. In most states, you cannot carry an automatic if you qualify with a revolver.

The best guns for concealed carry are small automatics. I prefer my Smith and Wesson Sigma 380.

quietnas1 02-01-2012 09:20 AM

Thanks for the great advise. I just might turn this into my next hobby. Here in Florida we do need a CWP to carry on you. You don't need one if its for the home or if there is a 3 step process to get to your weapon while it is in the vehicle. I do plan on getting my CWP after I get better at shooting. I'm really good with a rifle but a hand gun not so much. After much looking and price comparing I have narrowed it down to these six.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...080-picsay.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...322-picsay.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...591-picsay.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...305-picsay.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...757-picsay.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...581-picsay.jpg

tapkoote 02-01-2012 09:55 AM

You've done alot of home work.
Have you tried contacting a gun club in the area.
I'm sure some one there would have some thing you could shoot.
Like any hobby, they like to get people started.
tap

proanti1 02-01-2012 11:46 AM

The best gun out of all those is the Sig. It will outlast everything there (except the Smith revolver). In my opinion Bersa is junk, but a lot of people like them. Beretta Storms have had issues feeding certain rounds, especially hallow points.

HJJFFFAA 02-01-2012 12:55 PM

Definitely check out the CZs. Not just that one but their other models. They're very sweet shooters and they look snazzy IMO. I highly recommend.

quietnas1 02-01-2012 02:32 PM

Well the .38 revolver is a no brainer. Come to the conclusion that it will be my second purchase for sure. Never knew there were so many to chose from. Little overwhelmed, that's why I narrowed it down to these which all seem to fit my needs. But this will not be my only one. That is for sure.

HJJFFFAA 02-01-2012 02:51 PM

If you're going to get a revolver and not carry it I'd find a .357 with a 4-6" barrel. Those are fun.

FahrtAutoRC 02-01-2012 03:06 PM

Out of those, I would suggest the Sig or the CZ, and as you stated, of course the .38 in due time.

DaveG55 02-01-2012 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: proanti1

The best gun out of all those is the Sig. It will outlast everything there (except the Smith revolver). In my opinion Bersa is junk, but a lot of people like them. Beretta Storms have had issues feeding certain rounds, especially hallow points.
Bersas are certainly a relitively inexpensive gun. But I would not call them junk. I carried a Thunder 380 daily for three years. It never failed to fire, never misfed or jamed and was surprisingly accurate. I have been able to hit snakes in the head from about 8' - twice. It is certainly not as nice as my Sig P230SL but then again it was less than 1/2 the price of the Sig.
I'm not trying to talk anyone into buying one, just saying that my experience with the gun was very positive.

The_Shark 02-01-2012 05:05 PM

revolvers are inhearently accurate and durable, almost no chance for a misfire (which could result in the gun blowing up when you fire again and theres a slug stuck) or a other malfunction and cant jam.

i still say if you go revolver 357 is king because its a very very deadly round, very accurate and can shoot 38spls too. 5in barrel is a good size. .44 mag is overkill and you might kill the guy behind the guy you shot, and the .45lc has very expesive rounds if you dont reload yourself (like me)

the best weapon is one you never need to use, someone pulls a SA brick on you, yeah your probly going to wet yourself, but pull out a glimmering stainless steel magnum and your going to wet yourself, crap yourself and probly run away. they are just scary, plus they are ALOT louder than a SA so a warning round is going to be alot more frieghtening (also revolvers make fireballs, also scary)

all your choices are good, you will get a good gun, but IF you where to get a revolver opt for a 357 magnum.

HJJFFFAA 02-01-2012 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

revolvers are inhearently accurate and durable, almost no chance for a misfire (which could result in the gun blowing up when you fire again and theres a slug stuck) or a other malfunction and cant jam.
Er, this isn't true. Any gun is susceptible to a squib round. Revolvers are also capable of malfunction and don't handle being dropped as well as semi autos since this can throw off the precise timing of a good revolver.