RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/)
-   -   Word of Warning about Hard Drives (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/11139905-word-warning-about-hard-drives.html)

DarkFire989 07-02-2012 08:51 AM

Word of Warning about Hard Drives

I recover hard drives as part of my job.

I am sure some of you know this and others do not. But if you ever recycle your old computers or donate them, PLEASE tear out the hard drives and keep them in storage or physically destroy them. Smaller pieces the better.

Because when you delete files or format your drive, they aren't really gone until you write over those sectors on your hard drive. If I bought a used computer / hard drive on eBay or somewhere, I would put money I would be able to recover most of the data on those drives which probably have very important information that the seller had no idea was still on the drive.

So if you are going to get rid of old electronics, rip out the drives and destroy them, keep them in storage, or if you must get rid of them, get software that will wipe every hard drive sector by writing over it.

In the end, who really wants their important data stolen? Not I....

Foxy 07-02-2012 09:03 AM

RE: Word of Warning about Hard Drives

It's worth people knowing this sure, but...this goes under a category of 'personal security overkill' in my book.

If they want you they'll get you. If they don't want you, they won't bother recovering your drive.

Worth mentioning that just by doing a regular format (boot from a windows cd, remove partitions, create one big one and full format) you make it hard enough for all but the most determined to recover (ie hacker/gov't agency/random person), and then it goes back under 'if they want ya, they'll get ya' category.

Like I say, worth people knowing. A very powerful magnet will do the job too but leave it near (on) the platters for a few days.

DarkFire989 07-02-2012 09:11 AM

I would say overkill as well. But then again you never know. I read an article that a couple MIT students bought a ton of used drives and were able to recover tons of data such as credit cards and emails.

Our town has recycle days every year when you give away old computers. I just tear the drives out to be safe.

Foxy 07-02-2012 09:13 AM

Definitely a good idea to do what you can. For people who do have stuff to hide, who're probably more than we think lol, this is great info.

DarkFire989 07-02-2012 09:31 AM

Hahahahaha:D

HJJFFFAA 07-02-2012 09:33 AM

All sensitive information goes on specific hard drives that will only be destroyed at the end of their useful lives and never be sold. Call me paranoid but for me it's better safe than sorry.

Eman77 07-02-2012 09:49 AM

Not sure if it's still around, but a free program called Boot and Nuke was a nice thing you could pop on a CD, boot off of, and wipe it all quite well.

Lunchboxer 07-02-2012 11:24 AM

Yeah, DF, when are you going to recovery my HD For me.. sheesh..

DarkFire989 07-02-2012 11:48 AM

Mail it to me!:)

proanti1 07-02-2012 12:45 PM

I always do a good 7 or 9 pass wipe on the drive before I sell it, which is usually enough completely erase everything on it, depending on the drives age of course.

SyCo_VeNoM 07-02-2012 05:41 PM

at one job I did all I did was destroy data to the point it was un recoverable
we had a 10 pass data wipe setup. But this was a stock trading firm so they had tons of sensitive information, and account data that had billions of dollars at stake so its understandable why they had such rigorous data destruction policies.

Another guy I knew his way of destroying data was a tad more interesting he'd spin it up, and use a nail gun on it. He also poured thermite on it, and started it up. He was EXTREMELY paranoid ppl would pull his data off, but oddly his passwords were very easy to guess...

Personally last few drives I toasted I took the platters out, and used them as mirrors and other things :D

I've done drive recovery too real fun getting stuff off a drive that should be blank ;)

HJJFFFAA 07-02-2012 06:14 PM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

we had a 10 pass data wipe setup. But this was a stock trading firm so they had tons of sensitive information, and account data that had billions of dollars at stake so its understandable why they had such rigorous data destruction policies.

Another guy I knew his way of destroying data was a tad more interesting he'd spin it up, and use a nail gun on it. He also poured thermite on it, and started it up. He was EXTREMELY paranoid ppl would pull his data off, but oddly his passwords were very easy to guess...

Personally last few drives I toasted I took the platters out, and used them as mirrors and other things :D

I've done drive recovery too real fun getting stuff off a drive that should be blank ;)
What kind of software is used to wipe data 10 times over?

The_Shark 07-02-2012 07:48 PM

I chopped mine up with a axe then started it on fire.... do you think thats good enough?:D

PropsnWings 07-02-2012 08:18 PM

All drives from my household only leave after first being introduced to the shop vice, twice.  There will never be any recovering of my data.  When you say personal data... you probably dont think about those nude pics you took of eachother one drunken night.... or the sex talk you had between eachother.......  Info I dont want out there!

PropsnWings 07-02-2012 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

DoD software... some of it available on the net. But even then I can still recover it. We used to do that in labs in college, for computer forensics.
<br type="_moz" />

Dirty_Vinylpusher 07-02-2012 09:02 PM

I was told by someone once... not sure who, that there's no way of erasing everything on a HDD 100%.
Smash it with a sledgehammer, burn it or bury it in the backyard he reckons...

The_Shark 07-02-2012 09:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Dirty_Vinylpusher

I was told by someone once... not sure who, that there's no way of erasing everything on a HDD 100%.
Smash it with a sledgehammer, burn it or bury it in the backyard he reckons...

YEAH!! when is the last time smashing something was the proper thing to do! I love chopping up hard drives:D

flyingagin 07-03-2012 03:11 AM

Last drives I disposed of saw the pointy end of a pick ax a few times.

Ken

OliverJacob 07-03-2012 04:16 AM

Just send it to Hobby King for repair. It will never be seen again.

just kidding, I might be the only one, but have not had any problems with HK

stoneenforcer 07-03-2012 04:29 AM

i ate mine and took a laxative

rgburrill 07-03-2012 05:31 AM

ORIGINAL: PropsnWings

DoD software... some of it available on the net. But even then I can still recover it. We used to do that in labs in college, for computer forensics.
<br type="_moz" />
Oh cool. You can recover classified data that has been wiped from a hard drive. It's so nice to know that our DOD secrets can be recovered by anyone in the right college course.

Give me a break.

The_Shark 07-03-2012 06:49 AM

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

<br type=''_moz'' />
Oh cool. You can recover classified data that has been wiped from a hard drive. It's so nice to know that our DOD secrets can be recovered by anyone in the right college course.

Give me a break.

thats why you kill your hard drives dead.

Eman77 07-03-2012 06:51 AM

ORIGINAL: stoneenforcer

i ate mine and took a laxative
That's pretty original, if not painful.

wjvail 07-03-2012 07:34 AM

At some point in the past I bought a LARGE USB hard drive. Later I replaced it with a faster drive and didn't know what to do with it. I knew I didn't want to just give it away or sell it but destroying it seemed wasteful too. In the end I put it in the attic.

Time has passed and I ran into that drive the other day. I had to laugh. It's a 40GB drive. Utterly worthless by today's standards. I've got jump drives larger!

If you can't bring yourself to either sell your old hard drive or hit it with a sledge, just wait. It will get easier to do the latter. I'm very glad my 40GBs of data is not somewhere out there in the WWW ether.

SyCo_VeNoM 07-03-2012 09:59 AM

<br type=''_moz'' />
yup it was had a pile of interesting settings.

as for flash drives that data is permanently wiped when you delete it, and overwrite the affected sectors seeing unlike magnetic drives which retain a bit of the signature(cause the heads are not 100% accurate) once the state is changed its gone for good.

I do remember one company in China making the most secure flash hard drive ever that had 2 data self destruct buttons. If you pressed the green it would wipe all the blocks, and make them all 1's so you would have to reformat and be able to use it again. If you pressed the red button(I'm being serious here) it systematically went and fried EVERY single chip on the drive to the point they exploded so data recovery was 100% impossible it was pretty cool watching the demo.