RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/)
-   -   No spark '80 Kawasaki 440 twin (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/11182900-no-spark-80-kawasaki-440-twin.html)

FahrtAutoRC 08-06-2012 08:42 AM

No spark '80 Kawasaki 440 twin

I recently acquired my first street bike, and have had no experience with them. I was told the coil was replaced recently in an effort to get spark out of this beast but it didn't work, and that the magnetic pickup was the next likely culprit. After a lot of searching for it, the item in the link below was the closest I could find. Would this work? Would this be it? What/where would I find what I need if this is not it?

Oh yeah, the bike is a 1980 Kawasaki KZ440 ltd

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/KZ400-KZ4...on-Tune-Up-kit<br type="_moz" />

Anthoop 08-10-2012 07:37 AM

RE: No spark '80 Kawasaki 440 twin

The link shows a set of points and a condenser whilst you mention magnetic pick-up, Google says that some models have a CDI unit (meaning it does not have points). Remove the left hand engine cover/inspection plate and have a look.

FahrtAutoRC 08-10-2012 10:39 AM

I already did, right side cover, I am thinking this is an older engine ona newer fram as it has points and condensor, got em ordered and on the way. A very likely situation, considering this is an '80 and '79 was the last year for points. Got it figured out now, will update as progress goes with this old girl!

FahrtAutoRC 08-10-2012 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I would show some pics of the old girl. Not too bad for $300. Thinking about riding it for a little bit, making a bobber out of it and giving it to my girl when i get my hands on an old early 70's CB750 Four

<br type="_moz" />

HJJFFFAA 08-10-2012 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

Thought I would show some pics of the old girl. Not too bad for $300. Thinking about riding it for a little bit, making a bobber out of it and giving it to my girl when i get my hands on an old early 70's CB750 Four

<br type=''_moz'' />
Real nice find for 300. I found a mechanically sound 1981 GS750E for 350 dollars when I was 14, but mom said no motorcycles. [:@]

proanti1 08-12-2012 09:08 AM

I had an LTD 440 a long time ago. It was a great little bike.

Have you checked for power to the coil? Download the service manual (you can find them everywhere online) and dig into the ignition trouble shooting chapter. You will need a multi-meter.

FahrtAutoRC 08-12-2012 07:52 PM

I did some checking when I first got it and all that is fine, and the coil shows proper resistance. I am figuring at this point the condensor is bad because the points are fine on inspection, but since this kit has it all, I will change it all. Should be here soon, I will let you all know!

ORIGINAL: proanti1

I had an LTD 440 a long time ago. It was a great little bike.

Have you checked for power to the coil? Download the service manual (you can find them everywhere online) and dig into the ignition trouble shooting chapter. You will need a multi-meter.

FahrtAutoRC 08-16-2012 07:32 PM

Good news and bad news! I got the points and condensor changed, a simple job consisting of only 5 screws :)

Now is starting it. I've gotten her to sputter a bit, so tomorrow morning I will be buying a can of starting fluid (Can't find mine) and throwing some fresh gas in her, we will see what happens!

FahrtAutoRC 08-16-2012 08:15 PM

To heck with tomorrow morning! SHE LIVES!!! Haha If only yall could see the smile on my face! She just wanted to put up a fight but once that was over she fired up and I ran out the little gas I put in just listening to it. Poor old thing runs so rough, but this is also the first time she has been started in 5 years that I know of!Sheesh I'm proud as heck of myself, never tooled around with a street bike before, not too bad!

Anthoop 08-17-2012 07:05 AM

Good job on getting it fired up, now get it set up to purr. ;)
It is twin carb? Did you clean them out?

FahrtAutoRC 08-17-2012 08:41 AM

Yes it is and upon inspection they had been properly drained and blown out, no cleaning needed, and even with gas in it, no leaks, so I am going to assume the seals are all fine now. Throwing a new battery and fuel lines at her today, then to fix the brakes on my truck, then back to the bike lol

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

Good job on getting it fired up, now get it set up to purr. ;)
It is twin carb? Did you clean them out?

proanti1 08-18-2012 05:54 AM

You may want to get the carbs synced. Most places will do it for $50 on twin carb bikes.

FahrtAutoRC 08-18-2012 08:38 AM

That seems like something i should be able to do myself, Only two carbs, seperate exhaust, I should be able to tune it in by ear and feel, if not, I'll pay someone else to correct my mistakes :p

proanti1 08-18-2012 09:07 AM

You really can't sync diaphragm carbs by ear, you need a specialized sync tool, which has a flow gauge for each carb. Doing it by ear will, usually, mess them up worse than what they were before. It's not impossible, but it's very very difficult.

FahrtAutoRC 08-18-2012 11:46 AM

Well no harm in trying, sync em in to factory specs and go from there, I have been known to sync up four-barrels side to side and even some old Dodge equipment (Max Wedge O_o) by hand and ear, it may be fun. worst case I take it to a shop with rosy cheeks haha