RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/)
-   -   Is it cheaper to cool/heat a one story or two story home? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/7500065-cheaper-cool-heat-one-story-two-story-home.html)

ENR_Kyle 05-15-2008 02:53 PM

Is it cheaper to cool/heat a one story or two story home?

Both houses are brand new and use the same tehcnology (windows, heaters, things like that) - Is it cheaper to cool/heat a one story or two story home?

I would guess two story because there is less surface area on top for the heat to get out. with a 2 story you only have half the ammout of space exposed to outside, where the heat can get out.. with a one story any heat that gets out the top is gone.. if its a 2 story, any heat that gets out the bottom floor goes backing into the top floor.

what do u think?. I cant find any answers with google.

I lived in an appartment on the top floor and I never had to turn my heat on because the lower appartments heat got into my appartment.

thedr 05-15-2008 03:02 PM

RE: Is it cheaper to cool/heat a one story or two story home?

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ENR_Kyle

Both houses are brand new and use the same tehcnology (windows, heaters, things like that) - Is it cheaper to cool/heat a one story or two story home?

I would guess two story because there is less surface area on top for the heat to get out. with a 2 story you only have half the ammout of space exposed to outside, where the heat can get out.. with a one story any heat that gets out the top is gone.. if its a 2 story, any heat that gets out the bottom floor goes backing into the top floor.

I lived in an appartment on the top floor and I never had to turn my heat on because the lower appartments heat got into my appartment.
I'm guessing you've never lived in a two-story home.

A two story house while it may have a smaller roof area has a larger relative exposed wall area, so the benefit it gains by losing less out the roof is counteracted by what it loses out the greater wall area.

From what my h/a buddy tells me a lot of it has to do with the sort of insulation work that's done. It's easier to insulate a roof of a home as you can practicly stuff the attic full and it'll hold the heat or air inside better. While walls are only so thick and you're limited to how much insulation can be stuffed in between the 2x4s.

The likely reason your apartment stayed warm was because it was surrounded on all 4 walls by other units, as well as having the insulating layer of the ones below you and an insulted roof above you. The same principle can work in reverse, though they do have the ground below them.

sheograth 05-15-2008 03:03 PM

I used to do HVAC work, and from what I've seen the 2 story houses were more expensive to heat or cool. Your argument about surface area is very valid and plays a role, but in my experience the added volume of air that needs to be either heated or cooled takes a higher toll on the system.

Obviously all of this is completely dependent on insulation. A well insulated 2 story building will use less energy (after the initial few hours) than a poorly insulated single room.

EDIT: I guess I should clarify that I assumed your 2 story building would have more volume. If you mean taking the same amount of volume but having it on a single story vs. 2 story, then the single story unit would use more energy (assuming identical insulation).

That is because of what you mentioned, the surface area to volume ratio.

Much of it also has to do with solar gain, if you have windows that get a lot of sun, you can collect heat and then keep it if insulated properly.

slayerphonics 05-15-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ENR_Kyle

I work for a home builder, and have been building houses for about 3 years,

It is much cheaper to cool a single story house, Most 2 story homes require 2 seperate HVAC systems,
Most of your energy is lost in windows and doors, thats why FPL(Florida power and Lighting) now does pressure tests,

Think of this, Heat rises cold air sinks, the coldest air will fall to the first floor, and warmest to the 2nd floor,
Heat is removed through the HVAC system, heat is not meant to escape out of the ceiling off the house,
the attic is insulated to keep the heat from coming in the home,

Now if its heating you want, yes the 2nd floor will always be warmer, because the fact that warm air rises.
is it cheaper to warm a 2 story house, no it will still cost more then a single story house(if the volume is the same)

comerford2@msn.com 05-15-2008 08:20 PM

a two story with zone heat that is the same square footage as a one story with the same type insulation would be cheaper. also the type of heat is a big thing. zone heat is the key to a two story house.

ENR_Kyle 05-15-2008 09:05 PM

ic, well thanks everyone for the info

slurp91193 05-15-2008 09:36 PM

yes i live in a 6,000 square foot 2 story home and it costs a lot to heat it during the winter

comerford2@msn.com 05-16-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: slurp91193

yes i live in a 6,000 square foot 2 story home and it costs a lot to heat it during the winter
dude 6,000 square foot? whats it have ten bed rooms? A big home around me that will run around 450,000 is 2800 square foot and thats like 5 bed rooms. a millon doller home would have 4500 square foot. 6000 square foot is an office building.

thedr 05-16-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

LOL, who are you, Al Gore?
Of course it costs a lot to heat a mansion of that size. LOL

thedr 05-16-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: comerford2@msn.com

a two story with zone heat that is the same square footage as a one story with the same type insulation would be cheaper. also the type of heat is a big thing. zone heat is the key to a two story house.
I think that getting things like "zone heating" and such kind of blurs the issue. You're right, but I don't think that's what this question is about, and because that same theory works on homes in any layout.
And I think some are overlooking the fact that single-story homes with the same square footage as a comparative two-story home share a lot more of interior walls, and thus have greater shared heating value, in comparison to their two-story counterparts - and that because of the taller exposed exterior wall area of two-story homes they face a greater heating or cooling challenge just due to exposure to the elements.

slurp91193 05-17-2008 08:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

dude 6,000 square foot? whats it have ten bed rooms? A big home around me that will run around 450,000 is 2800 square foot and thats like 5 bed rooms. a millon doller home would have 4500 square foot. 6000 square foot is an office building.

its got 7 bedrooms, 7.5 bathrooms, and i live in the middle of nowhere so it is appraised for only $750,000. and my dad biult it for $300,000

comerford2@msn.com 05-17-2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

its got 7 bedrooms, 7.5 bathrooms, and i live in the middle of nowhere so it is appraised for only $750,000. and my dad biult it for $300,000

I know this, it must cost a ton to heat that home. It has oil heat right? I live in a row with gas heat and I was paying around $300 a month in the winter time, now are friends in the sticks have oil and a 300 gallon oil tank that last just under two months. that home is only 2100 square foot. You heating bill is probably more then my mortgage:D.