RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/)
-   -   Soldering Skills (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/9320380-soldering-skills.html)

Smiff 24 12-10-2009 08:50 PM

Soldering Skills

The other day I decided I was gonna brush up on my soldering skills, went to the basement
and grabbed an old burnt up power supply board and started desoldering the different components
with the wicking ribbon then re-installing and soldering again. Got pretty easy after a while!
Has anyone else done this kind of thing before or am I afflicted in some way?[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
May need a R/C aholics group!

calvino 12-10-2009 09:19 PM

RE: Soldering Skills

i have taken the components out but not rarely re-soldered them. It is a good way to brush up on your skills though :-). Save your $ and get a "solder sucker" much easier in my $.02 [>:]

The_Shark 12-10-2009 10:17 PM

one time i was soldering a tuning knob for my friends bass guitar. i was bare footed on the ground soldering a wire, and a huge glob of molten solder hit my ankle, i couldn't do anything because i had the fragile bass board in one hand and iron on the other. so i continued working and peeled the solder off my skin. now i have a round scar:D

but yes i have tried to practice on junk boards and wires, its better to fudge up something broken then to fudge up something that will cost you some dough

annie_himself 12-10-2009 10:41 PM

I used to solder for fun. It's easy when you get used to it.

Dirty_Vinylpusher 12-10-2009 10:54 PM

Soldering was always one of those things I feared as I thought I was no good at it and just ended up with big blobs everywhere.
Recently, after watching my mate do it, I decided to have a go, as I do own a soldering iron, and....well...as with anything....if you do it the right way, it works!

Now I love it!

Also, the quality of the solder affects the quality of the work a lot.

monsterbombs 12-11-2009 02:57 AM

i have spent years soldering radiators up and the same principles
apply.

heat
cleanliness of material
flux , and obviously the solder.

if all these are there, soldering is a breeze.
things like repairing esc's,circuit boards etc. require
confidence, and you to know were the heat is and how hot
everything is. if that makes sense? [sm=50_50.gif]

Smiff 24 12-11-2009 10:24 PM

I think its time for a new soldering iron, the ones I have are all old
and the tips are pretty worn out, all rough lookin and wont hold the solder any more.
The hakko 936 looks pretty good, I may get that one for around $80

DaveG55 12-13-2009 10:39 AM

Or just use a file to clean and reshape the tip then retin the tip. It will be as good as new for the cost of an inch or so of solder.

Or spend the $80, your call.

Need is a relitive thing these days, it boarders on desire.
Jimmy Buffet

Smiff 24 12-13-2009 06:11 PM

With my budget the file will have to do for now. Too many christmas presents to buy!
I did pick up a solder sucker today at a yard sale:) Ill try it out later an see how it works.
Seems the hardest thing to solder is the braided wires ( like battery and motor wires), cant seem to get em hot enough or something.