Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

Talladega days way off topic!!!

Old 10-17-2010, 06:26 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talladega days way off topic!!!

For those of us with a need for speed. I went to Talladega Super Speedway yesterday. The Dale Jarret Racing Experience is the business. They put you on the track with an instructor in the car. 170+mph They use retired race cars with no rev limiters. You can go as fast as your ability lets you. The instructor uses hand signals to tell you what to do. He watches you and tells you what to do. If you are hitting the corners correctly, he gives you the speed up sign til you top out at your personal level. I got a top speed of 175 with an average speed of 162. 59sec. to go 2.66mi. That is smokin'!!! The track seems big til you get up to speed. Then it gets a lot shorter. Hard to imagine 43 cars out there all bunched up. If you haven't done it, start saving up. It is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:23 PM
mountainroad
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Talladega days way off topic!!!

Do you mind me asking what the cost is?
Old 10-20-2010, 08:15 AM
ec121

The cost is variable to the number of laps. 20 laps is approx. $1300. 10 laps is $660. I started with ten in April then went back last weekend and did 20 more. AND I will go back for another 20 on my birthday, but I am only 2.5 hours away. Sounds like a lot of money, but you are using the track and their equipment plus the instructor. They have a fire truck and ambulance they have to pay for plus their crew. True if they wern't making money they wouldn't be there. These are retired race cars. No rev limiters. The power is unreal. You only shift getting out of the pits(they can work with you if you can't drive a stick shift), and all you need is a driver's license. Those instructors are the brave ones. They don't know who you are or if you can handle it, and they are going to get on the track with you. All they have is a kill switch. No brakes, no steering on their side except grabbing the wheel. I was doing 5500rpm at 170, and at the drivers meeting he said the redline is about 9000. They do different tracks around the country. Go to www.racingadventure.com
Old 11-21-2010, 08:41 AM
ec121

Finally got the DVD last week. Takes them a while to process it. Has a camera looking forward down the track and one on the driver and instructor. Plus a little symbol of the track with a moving dot on it showing where the car on the track. All in color. Also has sound. I can sit in the living room and turn up the home theater speakers and rattle the walls with the with the exhaust pipe sound from the subwoofer. Like being there. The wife just loves it when I do that.