Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

wind indicator? will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 12:59 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wind indicator? will it work?

I just put up my cheap wind-sock , but have an idea for a different type. I haven't seen it before even researching different direction and speed indicators.

Remember those long plastic sticks on bicycles a long time ago? It was a hard flexible white plastic stick that would stay perfectly straight when calm.

I was thinking an appropriate sixe/weight ball object onto one of thise sticks might make a nice wind direction and speed indicator. If it was straight up (depending upon it's breaking threshold) it would indicate "calm" then the further it bent down would indicate an increase in wind speed. Of course it would bend in the direction of the wind.

Would this work ok? would need calibrated and sized, ect. for length , stiffness, weight, mass, ect. Maybe it would flop all over the place even in a constant breeze?
Old 11-01-2011, 06:23 AM
Shadow99

Default RE: wind indicator? will it work?

I've been using a burgee for sailing (balanced triangle-shaped flag) attached to a piece of 3/4" EMT about 10' long stuck in the ground. Points into the wind at the slightest breeze, gets stiff when winds reach 15-25mph, anything higher than that & my EMT pole starts to bend &/or falls over.

Shadow
Old 11-11-2011, 03:55 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonder if a burgee will hold up better than these wind socks? We put up the $80.00 RC socks and they don't seem to last two year before they fray and rip apart. Put a black Spe*trum one up this spring and it's already starting to fray around the ring. The cheap chicom wind socks last almost as long!
Old 11-11-2011, 04:07 PM
davidbegg

This already exists on a giant scale in New Plymouth New Zealand.

http://www.newplymouthnz.com/Visitin...yeWindWand.htm

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=new...2&ved=0CE4QsAQ