Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

Plane wants a whole lot of nose weight

Old 07-27-2016, 01:11 AM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Plane wants a whole lot of nose weight

i picked up an old Spectrum Alpha trainer with the 63" wing span from a friend of mine
He flew it one time after he bought it about 10 years ago and then it got stepped on in his garage and has laid wounded every since. it was crunched pretty good from where the back dowel for the rubber bands is back to the tail feathers. I thought I could probably fix it so i brought it home . It took me a few days to do but it is fixed and arf.
When I went to balance the model I figured it would be tail heavy but I had no idea it would want 1.34 pounds of nose weight to balance. My god, I didnt put any steel I beam or any thing like that in when I repaired it. I ran a 3/16" balsa skin on one side from where the back dowel is to the back. And then there is epoxy and a a few small pieces of balsa here and there in the rear inside the fuselage but only where it was necessary
Didnt even use all of the small bottles of epoxy. I kept in mind when I was repairing it that that far back on the fuselage weight matters so I used only what i had to.. Before I tried to balance it I even moved the battery pack as far forward as possible.. My god 1.34 pounds??? Will that plane even fly if I put that much nose weight on it ??? Never have used any where near that much weight. What do you guys think? Did I wast my time on a doomed plane??? Or do you think it might fly?? I really dont know.

Thanks Dave
P.S. The plane has an evolution .45 motor

Last edited by 3357; 07-27-2016 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:04 PM
chuckk2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Move the wing back until the balance looks good, then remount the wing.
I had to do this with an ALFA 25 trainer
Old 08-09-2016, 06:45 PM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

really? that would work?. Never thought of that.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:50 AM
r ward

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had to do that with a coro trainer ( plans from SPAD to the Bone) that I built, too.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:35 AM
foodstick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, the center of lift won't change on that wing.. so if you can extend the wing saddle back and keep the incidence the same it transfers some weight to the front of the cg, and subtracts it from the back ! its a great trick. It could change the handling of the plane some as you are shortening the tail moment..
That is basically why so many Scale type planes have stretched noses.. especially WW1 planes. Thats the easiest way to get the plane to balance out without hanging an anvil up there You are in essence moving the wing back.. by extending the nose.