Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

Al-Qaeda's deadly new drone

Old 09-15-2005, 02:54 PM
roycegraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Al-Qaeda's deadly new drone

Yes, I jest. Ban is used satirically here: i:e - bad hobby shop sales people pushing cheap garbage off as "the way to go" -to get started. I've got a disreputable shop like that down the street that doesn't care what they sell as long as they sell it. Sucker born every minute - kind of thing. I've seen so many of those crappy things in the trash barell at the flying field. This is the major menace to us: Filling landfills with cheap, smashed foam/RTF electric garbage imports and losing possible new blood to the hobby because of certain failure.

On the true subject, never under estimate the tenacity these @#$@#$@#'s to use what we consider to be insignificant to reap havoc. How much did those box cutters cost? $1.49 at Home Depot?
Old 09-15-2005, 02:56 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I think people are finding humor because of things like "seized what it called a Chinese-made spy plane". It's not a spy plane, it's a toy plane. And it continues with "Chinese-made remote controlled drone". Again, it's not a drone, it's a bloody toy. and then "was equipped with a sophisticated, wide-angle camera". Who knows, they could have been using it to check out the women that they are not normally permitted to see.

And then, reality sets in with "However, it has emerged that the kind of plane on display is similar to model planes that can be freely brought on the open market." It's not just similar, it probably is a plane that was bought on the open market. The humor is partly from the attempt to paint the Chinese in the sinister role of providing "spy planes" or "drones", when in reality, it's just a kids toy that they probably bought via ebay or at a toy store somewhere.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:08 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Eloquently put Chuck. Sorry Royce, it was kinda hard to tell.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:37 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Actually, I think it's pretty ingenious(HORRIBLE choice of an airframe though.) I do have a sense of humor, but not when my ***** is on the line, or those that I serve with. I take that more serious than most of you can imagine.

I agree that the article is laughably written, and no, that's no high tech drone or WMD . The purpose of the so called "high tech spy drone", and those that poke fun at that, is what really ticks me off.

It's a totally different viewpoint when you have mortars falling around you because they flew a "toy" with a camera on it over to pin-point your position.

Not so funny when the guy next to you gets blown into little bloody pieces due to a "toy". Contrary to what you may beleive, those guys ain't dumb.

You're welcome to your opinion of course, that's why we're over here in the first place.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:23 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

cwrr5, sounds like we're agreeing. You guys most of all need to keep in good humor. Good luck with the whole mortar thing. Everytime you say that I crawl under my desk and start whimpering. Yellow? Probably! <-----(more humor in poor taste) <------(trying to make somebody laugh!) <------(or at least smile!)
Old 09-15-2005, 05:48 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Not at all! That's a perfectly acceptable method for keeping the ceiling off your head. (see? I do have a sense of humor, although somewhat warped)

Don't get me wrong, I have a pretty thick skin, not at all upset. Just sharing my point of view from where some of that stuff on CNN is actually happening.
Lots of good things happening too, but the bad stuff seems to be more newsworthy unfortunately. [sm=tired.gif]
Old 09-15-2005, 06:38 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

crww5,
I see your point too as one who is over there. The terrorists have intelligence gathering to their advantage. They can easily buy a video camera system for under $90 bucks and give it to a kid, who can go up to ask for a pack of chewing gum and at the same time video back to the cell how many troops, how well armed, and other important data. The same kid could be at any center of operations gathering the same intelligence with his "toy" glider, kite, or RC airplane.

It is hard to fight an enemy who blends into the civil population and who uses the most innocent looking tactics to his advantage. It must be really stressfull when that you have to take everything such as a boy with a toy airplane as a potential threat. We here at home may think its funny, and odd, but we are not there in such an environment as our troops are in.

Scott
Old 09-15-2005, 06:54 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

Every one keep a look out for Ailis buying an excessive amount of rtr park flyer's
Old 09-16-2005, 01:02 PM
26C4U

It's a Wing Dragon
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/wingdragon.htm

I echo some of the lighter comments. What I find humorous is that people tend to believe that such a "toy" could be used as a platform for surveillance or to carry WMD. Even with brushless and lipoly, the airframe couldn't support considerable payload for the equipment. I've seen several of these at my field and they fly crappy. What's even more hilarious is what Mustangfan observed in the photo that a group of top-brass military men huddled around and making a big fuss over some cheap toy we throw in the bin after a coupla flites while they pass it off as some hi-tech sophisticated star wars weapon-- like it's some big accomplishment for capturing it. [:'(]A GWS Slo-stik could have been a better choice.

Now, think about the real issue which is not so funny. Maybe they were using the thing to train so they could fly a much more sophisticated UAV later on. Thing to watch out for is if the good guys capture a GWS E-Starter later, it means they've (enemy) advanced to aileron training.[:@]

On the lighter side, at least they have the frequency flag up so they wouldn't shoot down other RCers. Talk about flying ethics in that part of the world.

Old 09-16-2005, 11:04 PM
AgCat1982

I believe I could very easily rig it to drop a tiny container of deadly biological material, a few blocks away without any problem at all.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:38 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Laugh if you want to, but as far as the photography end of the equation, I have seen some excellent aerial photos taken with some of those small digital still cameras. Most of these cameras have a single nonchangable lens, which is a wide angle, and very effective with an electric powered plane. I have flown photoflights with a 35mm camera aboard a glow powered off the shelf R/C model and did not get the results equal to those I saw taken by a small digital camera in a Wingo. The electrics are very quiet and smooth due to no motor vibration. I had to idle my glow engine each time I wanted to shoot a photo in order to insure a sharp image. The idea and concept of using an inexpensive electric R/C model for recon may sound silly to some of you, but don't make the mistake of shrugging it off as a gag, or a stupid idea from some crazy terriorists. And don't let the simplicity of the equipment fool you. I have a Russian 35mm combat camera that compared to my Nikon F100 is just plain junk, but that hunk of junk makes photos of acceptable quality, and is rugged as hell...unlike my Nikon that hates dust and moisture witha passion. Which one would be better in a combat environment? One last thing guys, it has been said often by many, "Never underestimate your enemies...you'll live longer."
Been there and done that.....GP
Old 09-17-2005, 09:56 AM
26C4U

""Never underestimate your enemies...you'll live longer."
Been there and done that.....GP
"
Yep, 20 years in insurgency against communists, religious extremists/terrorists... now in Haiti on UN peacekeeping against common thugs. Have enough exposure to look beyond what the circumstances suggest. "Underestimating the enemy" is thinking they don't have enough wits and use the yellow bird as a weapon out of the box. Giving the enemy enough respect is thinking they use this little tweety to train for a much more sophisticated and sinister weapon. Even UAV pilots had to start on something before flying those Predators. That's just my opinion anyway... not meaning to be offensive.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Fly Nexstar

Hey you won't think its funny when they ban our hobby here because of the Al **** heads killing with rc airplanes, this country is already nuts over taking photos in train yards and airports and even state and federal parks and camera don't kill anyone so if they say get a Extra or even a Nexstar that can carry weight of C-4 or C-5 then our hobbie will get banned really quick so go ahead joke around you'll be laughing last. Ghezz read the forums they the Feds are already making rulings on height and not flyin at airports so what is so funny, really I need a good laugh.....Sorry but I just couldn't help myself....
Old 09-17-2005, 07:18 PM
AgCat1982

Did you see any laughter in what I said?
Old 09-17-2005, 08:17 PM
jettstarblue

Great next thing you know they'll be banningourhobieandthenwe won'tbeabletoflynomoreplainsnomoreeitherthen what will we do?
Old 09-18-2005, 12:25 PM
roycegraham

I believe the rocket guys took some hits via federal regulations on propellant and size restrictions spawned by terrorist fears. I read this somewhere. I am sure some of you have the details. At the field I freqent, use of smoke has been banned because of the proximity to the aproaches to a certain major airport. i.e. 747 pilots thinking a SAM is after them. Its the world we live in. Is our hobby going to be banned? Of course not. But I'd bet the Gov has countless reports and analysis on the use of small off the shelf RC equip to cause harm. Our military UAV's kick butt - shoot Maveriks and knock out bad guys in Subarus in the middle of the dessert. I am sure our hobby played a big role in developing the concepts for these weapon systems. We should make more and finish this ugly business.

We have enemies that will use any and all means possible, including our own hobbies and liberties as weapons against us.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:38 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to be the one to tell y'all this, but there are currently numerous "drones" as small or smaller that the one shown at the beginning of this post, and a good percentage of them are providing extremely valuable intel to the various military organizations in theater. I'm prevented from going into specifics, but those "drones", or more correctly "UAV's", use some extremely sophiscated payload components and can transmit the gathered information/video much farther and with better clarity that most would imagine. The range of the aircraft has less importance than the range and quality of the payload. Some of the payload cameras are very small, indeed.

Although I agree that the provided photo in the news article appears to be laughable, it most assuredly is not. The enemy has learned to fear ALL of our UAV's due to their ability to ferrett them out in most weather and/or camoflaged conditions. Some of these platforms can also carry radar and laser guided weaponry, and are extremely accurate from great distances. Laughing at a super small UAV in some places can end up very fatal, very quickly.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:24 PM
SaMx

ORIGINAL: agcatsbest

I believe I could very easily rig it to drop a tiny container of deadly biological material, a few blocks away without any problem at all.
yaeh, but it's cheaper and easier to put the materieal in a container and open it by remote control, or timer. Then you save $100 by not buying a model plane (not to mention a model plane that is barely capable of flight, even with no payload).plus the hard part is getting the biological material. It's the same with the high powered rocket guys. Sure a model rocket could be used to launch an attack, but it's so much easier and cheaper to get an AK-47 or RPG (over there at least) that it would be stupid to use the model rocket.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:42 PM
tonytiger

dude humor is completley wasted on this site...since ive been a member here ive met more uptight squeek when they walk idiots than i have in my whole life......they would get a joke if it was free and came with a set of steak knives......to test my theory go into the electric car forumn and say electric toys are for chicks.....people will wig out.....
ORIGINAL: MustangFan

I agree ... lighten up a bit !

With a range of a mile (if it's lucky) ... it won't do much spying.

It was odd to see a picture of men sitting around discussing a small electric plane (Toy ... as in hobby) with a caption of anything related to sophisticated or deadly in military terms.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:56 PM
SaulOhio

Here is some exclusive video footage taken with Al-Qaeda's aerial drone.

http://media.putfile.com/UAV63
Old 10-13-2005, 07:50 PM
gopeder111

a bit off topic but...

these planes aren't that bad, IMO it can take 2x more abuse than the firebird commander (proven) and it doesn't fly half bad. it loops easily and is very stable. Its also alot faster. Ive had the delta dragon (same thing except under a different company) for almost a year and Ive only had to drill small holes in the front (battery gets too hot). Its a wonderful plane and I would recomend it to anyone

please no flameing this is only my opinion []
Old 10-15-2005, 12:23 AM
AgCat1982

No, you don't have to be there when the stuff is released, and you can spread it over a wider area. As for getting it, don't be too smart by half, here! That's what they do! No weapons of mass destruction? They had more than three months to move it to Syria, and there were many convoys of trucks, etc seen moving in that direction. It would be so easy to slip small vials back across. This is just an example. I am sure they could figure out other things to do with RC "toys". Again, that's what they do!
Old 10-15-2005, 01:01 AM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

I have never under estimated my enemies...and I have lived! We have people on our southern border using 40 size trainers equipped with remote cameras to report illegal alien crossings to the government. Our middle eastern enemies will do, (probably all ready are) everything and anything they can to get an edge. I would not put anything past these people. You guys who are over there now, keep your ass doen and your head up. Pay attention to your experienced NCO's and OIC's. Report anything unusual up the chain. Don't ever think, "No, it couldn't be". Chances are it probably is. The UAV operator may be a kid flying he r/c plane. However, that plane may be equipped with a camera or anything else to get the goods or the drop on you. Check it out. Don't laugh it off. His father, who is your sworn enemy, may be hiding around the corner waiting to take you and your buddies out. I have experienced humor in many places, in war and in police work. Often times this was during high stress situations. However, you can't let your guard down. Good luck to all of you.

"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak
Old 11-25-2005, 10:51 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

The usefullness of even this pukey little plane and a $30 Hong Kong video camera/transmitter is unlimited if you are of the mind to make harm to someone. I don't even want to think about posting all of the things I could use this for in a tactical situation.
I have taken some nice aerial pics I took of a bivouac site with at $20 camera and a GWS slow stik. Live video or even digital stills could offer a heck of a lot of information! Thankfully most of the terrorist incidents our troops encounter involve essentially dumb criminals and thugs. The real terrorists are planning and plotting for something bigger and the fact that this was found reminds us that even the most harmless little toy can be used to create havoc.