Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

Fuel Prices and your RC hobby

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Prices and your RC hobby

Gas & diesel will soon hit $5 a gallon around the USA. How is that going to effect your modeling sport hobby?

Just wondering!
Old 09-23-2005, 12:19 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Prices and your RC hobby

Although I don't like the prices it won't affect my flying any. I have a 4-cylinder truck and get about 28 MPG. It's only a 5 minute drive to the flying field from my house. We have another guy at our field that told me this morning that he's going to have to cut back his flying days, he has a 30 minute drive to the field. So I guess I'm lucky.

Ken
Old 09-23-2005, 05:38 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live close to work, and my club field is in my yard. I don't think gas prices will have much effect on my flying.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:06 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My club is 25 miles from me so it will have an impact as that's just over 2 gallons of gas.[&o]
Old 09-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Roquewj
My Feedback: (4)

I'm just moving back to my home country, Brazil, where gasoline price is around $4 a gallon for as long as I remember (at least 30 years, since the first oil crisis).
I have lived in Venezuela for several years and will miss the gas at 14 cents a gallon, for sure.
Of course I will give up my 8-cylinder Explorer I have here and drive a modest 4-cylinder, 2 liter, engine minivan when I get back in Brazil.
Don't think it will affect much my flying time. I only fly on the week-ends anyway.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Live Wire

People that think the price of fuel will not efect their hobby better think again Watch the Shiping and handling, and the cost of products go up. I bet it puts a lot of people out or slows them way down. But people with big money or do not care what it costs will care less.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:39 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Its not the fuel prices that are making a dent in my hobby budget, but the energy prices as a whole. My co-op made a statement last week that we better brace for a 70% increase in our utility bill this winter. Also, I have been trying to insulate my house. Last year, a roll cost about $50, the same roll jumped to almost $70. Not to mention the storm damage to the house that the insurance has depreciated that I must make up for, about $5000.00.

Then there is the cost of food. My grocery bill has increased by 30% over the last two months. I buy the same thing every week.

There are no new kits, engines, or radios planned for this RCer this year. however, I am still going to fly as much as I can with what I got.

Scott
Old 09-24-2005, 09:59 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

If I go through town, our field is about 20 miles away. If I go around town, the field is about 25 miles away. I have a Cadillac Deville that I can get a lot of equipment in--it gets about 20 MPG in this kind of driving. I also have an S10 that gets about 25 MPG in this application. And then I have my old Honda Prelude that gets almost 40 MPG no matter what kind of driving. Guess I'm gonna be finding out just how much that little puppy will haul as far as RC equipment, cooler, and me is concerned. Maybe I can strap a .60 size to the roof, start it up, point it in the right direction, and save some gas that way.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:18 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive over half an hour to get to our club. I've already slowed down alot from going to the field. Between the gas and the high landing fees I've slowed from going to events as well......
Old 09-25-2005, 07:34 PM
War Bird 22

It won't affect me directly for R/C. I fly in my yard, and I have an electric airplane.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:56 AM
mikenlapaz

Been paying US equivalent $2.15 for some time from pumps that always seem to take more liters than my tank holds! We do our around town in a VW Lupo, and use a Olds Cutlass with back seat removed for going to field. Field is 5 miles away so I'll continue to fly as normal.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Live Wire

You know this is the first time it cost more to drive to the field than to fly my plane no crashes
Old 10-05-2005, 06:08 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll just fly more .35 and smaller powered control line and various rubber powered free flight and hand launched gliders in the park across the street from me, and go back to .25 and under sized RC jobs on the occasions I get out to the RC field. More mid sized (400 and up) electrics, since I can't always choose calm times to get to the club field. And maybe in a year or two, I can get myself a Pontiac Vibe like my wife has that gets 30 mpg in town and 34 on highway trips and with the seats folded down can cary up to a 90" wing. My RC field is about 14 miles from my house or 12 miles from my job.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:02 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: GrnBrt

25 miles.......... just over 2 gallons of gas.[&o]
Jeez, you must have the clone to my truck, or you have an Abrams. When diesel hit $2.50/gal, I thought I could handle it, just drive a little slower, or less, but when it crossed $3 (just last week, now it's about $3.25), my eyes start to water when I pull up to the pumps. I live 17 miles from my club field, and I'll still go there frequently, but the other fields in the area have probably seen the last of me, unless there's a special day or event there.

Somebody said the other day that if gas kept going up, there'd be no reason for him to not go back to glow engines, and he'd convert his car to methanol and nitro.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:29 PM
AQ500

Going to the flying field is not bad. Towing the boat and filling it up for a day on the lake will hurt.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: scottrc

Its not the fuel prices that are making a dent in my hobby budget, but the energy prices as a whole. My co-op made a statement last week that we better brace for a 70% increase in our utility bill this winter. Also, I have been trying to insulate my house. Last year, a roll cost about $50, the same roll jumped to almost $70. Not to mention the storm damage to the house that the insurance has depreciated that I must make up for, about $5000.00.

Then there is the cost of food. My grocery bill has increased by 30% over the last two months. I buy the same thing every week.

There are no new kits, engines, or radios planned for this RCer this year. however, I am still going to fly as much as I can with what I got.

Scott
Welcome to the war on the middle class.

Thank your "elected" government.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Roquewj
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: euqor

I'm just moving back to my home country, Brazil, where gasoline price is around $4 a gallon for as long as I remember (at least 30 years, since the first oil crisis).
I have lived in Venezuela for several years and will miss the gas at 14 cents a gallon, for sure.
Of course I will give up my 8-cylinder Explorer I have here and drive a modest 4-cylinder, 2 liter, engine minivan when I get back in Brazil.
Don't think it will affect much my flying time. I only fly on the week-ends anyway.

Well, here I am, back to beautiful Brazil and its $4.60 per gallon gas. Not even the ethanol (my car has a flexpower engine: can burn both gasoline and alcohol) is cheaper any more: $3.25/gallon and the consumption is much higher. Well, I'm burning gasoline only. The good thing is that my Chevy makes 24 mpg in the city and 30 mpg in the road. My club is 25 miles from home.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:42 AM
scoprius

you guys with diesels should rejoyce my f-250 gets 14mpg but i use bio diesel(aka old french frier grease)that i make at my house with so methanol from the local racing shop at .60 cents a gallon on moderate income i saved enough to buy a cold air intake, tweaked computer, propane boost kit, a 3 1/2 inch exhaust, twin turbos my truck roasts the tires right off the rims but i can afford to replace them cause dont buy my fuel
just go to http://www.freedomfuelamerica.com/ to order the kit to make your bio diesel at home
and go to http://www.dieselsmoke.com/ for some serious parts after you save yourself some money
OH AND IF YOU MIX BIO DIESEL RIGHT YOU GET BETTER FUEL ECONOMY AND EXXTRA POWER TO THE WHEELS
Old 03-03-2006, 03:35 AM
AgCat1982

You mean to say the government is setting these prices? Gee, I didn't know that. I missed that somewhere. Care to show how that works? With facts?
Old 03-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: AgCat1982

You mean to say the government is setting these prices? Gee, I didn't know that. I missed that somewhere. Care to show how that works? With facts?
It's no secret--at least to me--we got a Texas oil man in the white house, and we're suddenly paying double what we were 5yrs ago. Seams like a drastic jump all of a sudden.

You can deny it. 52% of America thinks the same way you do.

But, if you don't think there's a correlation--then I can't help you. No amount of facts or explaining would convince you either way. Typical of 52% of the country--wearing their blinders, and stubbornly following this administration, no matter how bad they screw up.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:32 PM
AQ500