Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

Upgrading Airplane Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 03:20 AM
Espresso-Outfitters
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Airplane Engineering

My background with airplanes was mainly as a freeflight, traditional balsa and paper contruction, I learned the dynamics as to how a plane works as a kid, believe me, there were plenty of really stupid mistakes made, what I'm finding now, looking back is the basic kits that were out there, some were just flawed, they looked good, but the dimensions and materials were just off enough so they crumbled upon impact. At the time, there really wasn't a large variety of materials and resources to choose from nor nearly the volume of resources, "thanks to the WWW" making this a much more mainstream field to be involved with. I set it down for many years, only to tinker back into it with off the shelf models, I just don't normally have the time these days like I used to, so it was necessary at the time.

After wasting time on a few 2 channel rc planes, have opted to move up to a parkzone j3 cub 3 channel. The park I use isn't the best, so it's a challenge. I set it down after it was a heap of parts and basically just ressurected it, adding fiberglass reinforcment in all of the key areas "lightly", recasing the receiver in more robust foam, added another wheel to the landing gear, new cowl, new modified gearbox, batteries, added additional washers and nuts to the new prop shaft including going with a foam nose tip to asorb shock better, and jerry rigged a new pushrod for the stabalizer.... Losing track of the time, it was complete and ready to fly 1 min before new years, so call it my new years frankenstein tank cub.....

Waiting for the rain to stop to take it's maiden flight, but am happy with myself for being able to put this together from parts scattered through out the place and improvising it to work. Needless to say, it's a much more precise, stronger plane then before, I'll keep anybody updated on how it went and post photo's if they want to see.