Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

Cool Paint

Old 01-19-2006, 12:17 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cool Paint

I remember seeing this before somewhere else, but it was a different photo as I recall.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Katchmarek
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cool Paint

Paint? I thought it was a mirror!!!
Rob / katchmarek
Old 01-19-2006, 12:38 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Cool Paint

Yes it has been discussed, yes it is a cool paint, but it's not cheap. No it's not jet related either. (arguably yes, but the paint itself is not well suited to jet modelling, it's heavy and has some problems, see below)

Closing this one, but here's some info on that paint system.

The system is from Alsa corp. There are a few different system's they sell.

One is the actual "chrome paint", called Mirrachrome. This stuff has mixed results at best. After you clear it it goes greyish, nice silver, but nothing like chrome. They also have different metal finishes, they all look great until clear sadly.

The one that the cars is the Chrome FX. This is a complete system, you have to buy the complete system. The actual coating package is $1200 for the smallest amount you can purchase, this is enough to cover approximately 500sq ft. However, you must by the spray system designed for this paint, and that is a heft $7900. I know people that have tried buying only the "paint" and all it ended up being was a waste of $1200.

PPG also has a new finish called liquid metal. Looks good, not quite like chrome, but pretty decent.

here's the other threads, quick search for "chrome paint" found them:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_28...tm.htm#2900294

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_36...2Cpaint/tm.htm