Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

Purchasing a Local Hobby Shop

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 05:27 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Purchasing a Local Hobby Shop

Rick

You need to see the Depronjet web site Ray Elliot is making an amazing F16 and Hawk that may be worth bringing into the US Have a look you will not be disapointed.

MIke
Old 06-01-2006, 12:37 PM
CRAZYRYAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good way to waste money i buy my stuff online
Old 06-02-2006, 09:45 PM
jjglennon

CrazyRyan,
I hope you're ashamed of the tone of your mean, petty, short-sighted post which accentuates the how little wisdom you've gathered in your short time on this planet.
John
Old 06-02-2006, 09:48 PM
CRAZYRYAN

?
Old 06-03-2006, 11:43 AM
BaldEagel

Crazyrayan

I hope when you get out of kindergarden and go through collage and eventually get a job, someone finds a way of undercutting you and your buisness, then you will know how important it is to support your local stores.

Think about the Thread subject before you post.

Mike
Old 06-03-2006, 01:08 PM
CRAZYRYAN

Uh thats not how u spell collage its colleage. Also you better watch out the rcu moderators will come onto you.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:20 PM
BaldEagel

Rick

Thought you might like to see my latest project its a QQ Yak 54 at 85" span, the engine is on back order so I will have to keep myself ocupied with other things until it arrives.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24411.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	471032  
Old 06-04-2006, 05:14 PM
nrichardz

Mike the plane looks great what are you going to power it with I just got finished ordering my stuff for the week and as soon as I get finished posting this update I am going to check out the site you listed above this is the first time I have checked this post this week and I hope nothing is wrong I really don't get what crazyrayan was talking about other than he orders online that is his option to do that if he wants to but I would like to know what he is talking about about the moderators as far as I can tell we have done nothing wrong I have just been giving updates weekly as to what is going on with my store if we were doing something wrong I think the moderators would have already said something I know a lot of people order things online because sometimes the price is cheaper or the get things that I do not carry because it would be too cost effective for me even thgough I am new at being a store owner and have things to learn I do my best and a lot of people have already come in and said that my special order program is great the way I have it set up and what I have already set into place is this if you come into my store and buy an airplane for instance I will explain everything and help them 100% with the product to get it flying even if I have to go to the flying field and help them fly it if you purchase an airplane online and then bring it into my store for me to help you with it it is going to cost 30.00 an hour for me to help the airplane is just an example this goes for cars boats ect. I truly believe that this is a good program and the customer service from the local shop owner goes a long way

as far as the update on the store everything this week is great and I will update later this week kind of got off of the topic a little this week

proud hobbyshop owner

Rick
Old 06-05-2006, 04:07 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

As to crazy just ignor him and his comments.

The Yak will be powered by an MVVS 45 or 58pro as you call them Gas engines, I have both on back order should arrive later this week, I think the 45 will go in first just to see if its man enough, if not the 58 is the same engine fixing so will not be too much of a bind to change except for the extra height, the 45 looks as though it will fit without a big cut out in the bottom of the cowl.

Your comments on the shop vs internet are well founded and I agree with everything you have said, if the local hobby shops are not supported they will not survive, since the advent of rural supermarkets in the UK our high streets have all but closed mostly they consist of banks and building societies plus the local authorities have put so many parking restrictions into place its nearly imposible to get into town anyway. Rant over.

Glad everything is still all roses for you in the shop, look forward to you next report.

Mike
Old 06-05-2006, 07:01 AM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Gotta love it when someone chimes in totally off topic and doesn't even realize it even after being corrected. "Colleage", that is wonderful! You just can't make that up. Crazyryan you are a funny guy. I have not laughed that hard in a while.

Rick,

I respect that you are willing to help people that buy stuff on the internet for a nominal fee. A lot of shop owners would get upset about that. I bet that you will win a lot of guys over by respecting the fact that they bought something online and still helpeng them out if they need it. It is all those repair parts, servo's, fuel, connecters, spinners, fuel line, etc that people forget about while ordering on line that they will still come to you for if they know they don't have to be afraid to tell you they bought stuff online.

I would say that I buy maybe 20 percent of my stuff online. My LHS is within 10 percent of online prices by the time you factor in shipping. I buy online when I find killer deals, and they are out there. I just got 3 receivers and 3 crystals for $42 with shipping from a blow out sale over at Hobby Lobby. Stuff like that is fun to hunt down. I would much rather buy everyting I can form my LHS because if there is a problem, they will stand behind the product. For example, I picked up a HS-85 MG servo a couple of months ago and when I plugged it in, it immediately fried out. There was a short inside the servo from the factory. Sure, I paid $24.99 for the servo when I could have gotten it for $18 plus $3 bucks shipping online. But I would have had to wait to get the servo, then ship it back when I had a problem and hope that they would replace it. I would rather give my LHS the extra $3 for the security of knowing I can return it, and also I figure it is a small price to pay for all of the help and advice they give me.

The cool thing is with your program of charging people to help them with internet purchased stuff, it takes the emotion out of it. Either buy from me and I will help you, or buy online and I will help you just reimburse me for my time. This way everyone wins and you have more customers at the end of the day. Very insightful!

Glad to hear all is going well with the shop. Keep up the good work!

Adam
Old 06-05-2006, 07:47 AM
CRAZYRYAN

well maybe i should be the next Conan O' Brien on the late night show?
Old 06-05-2006, 08:28 PM
nrichardz

guys I know I usually don't post until later in the week but I want to tell you guys thank you and thanks for all the support I have a feeling that crazyryan is one of those customers that people I care about have told me that want something for nothing I am just happy to this point that I have not done anything wrong and I agree he is totally off topic I could understand if he got on and complained about bad service at a LHS or something like that but enough about that you guys have been so supportive as to helping me with all this change in my life and it makes it so much easier every day what more could I ask for I have been closed today as I am closed on sundays and mondays and got a chance to go flying again with some local guys and had a great time I will close here till later this week with this comment (WHAT MORE COULD I ASK FOR I GET TO WORK IN A JOB THAT LOVE IN A HOBBY THAT I HAVE LOVED FOR YEARS AND ALSO GET TO WORK WITH MY WIFE BY MY SIDE WHO HAS BEEN THERE FOR 12 YEARS) WIFE LAURIE RUNS THE COFFEE BAR AND ALSO GIVES ADVICE TO ME Will talk to you guys again later this week thanks again Mike Adam and jjglennon

proud hobby shop owner

Rick
Old 06-06-2006, 02:16 AM
Get Real

thanks rick for sharing your expierence of owning a hobby shop. i found a shop that had just started up last year. something i suggested and i'll suggest here also.. as well as a simulator for new people to flight or other aspects of the hobby.. run videos/let people see what planes and helis can do.. cars also/rc cars are a staple.. i started with cars years ago and more recently with planes. i try to spend my rc dollars locally as much as possible/probally 90% of the time. better shops have people with first hand knowledge/something that will send me somewhere else to shop is bad advice or info.. its ok not to know everything about the thousands of products you carry.. just be honest rather than make false claims to customers. also on here theres gonna be some negativity or product and company bashing as well as difference of opinions.. just consider the source. rcu is a great host of rc knowledge/ another thing i like about the new shop i go to is for every $100.00 spent you get $5.00 off .. personally it gives me incentive to keep going back when i can squeeze in an extra prop or ca or something into my rc budget. the biggest things to keep bussiness booming is local tracks and flying fields/they keep expierenced modelers shopping and get future modlers interested.. post flyers at local tracks and fields if you have them. good luck
Old 06-12-2006, 03:41 PM
nrichardz

Hey guys time for an update this week went great shop was very busy things went very well did all my ordering already and now have the rest of the day off to relax I am bringing in new stuff every week and the customers seem to like it very much when the come in and look around they get very intrigued because there is always something new Mike I got to tell you this about last week actuall all of you it was pretty funny I pulled one of the ultrafly P51's off of the shelf this last week and started to build it there at the shop just to set it up as a display beautiful plane by yhe way comes completely painted and schemed right out of the box but anyway back to my story I talked to my accountant and he told me I could build some of the stuff in my shop and if I put the store name on it it is a tax right off at least for the first couple of years anyway so it took me 2 days and the plane was together and looking great so I decided what the heck I put one of the new spectrum 6 channel radios in it and a thunder power 2100 3 cell lipo and figured I would take it out and fly it this weekend with the guys it would give me a chance to check out some of the new gear and a plane that I have in the shop (there is a sign shop right next door to my shop and the guy made me a whole bunch of decals with my shop name in all different sizes to put on my planes advertisement is great) so anyway the plane is all set up and battery is charged and I am trying everything out and making shure everything is working properly and a customer comes in the door as I am trying everything out I unplug the battery to help him and he is very interested in what I am doing so I plug the battery back in and let him help me with checking out the plane and everything was perfect (the retracts are a great setup on this plane very strong and smooth) then the guy asks me how much for the plane as it is right now I told him I would have to add everything up to know for shure and he said just let me know how much as I am adding everything up I ask him if he has flown before because I know how difficult this plane can be to fly and he says he has been flying for about 5 years which is a relief to me because I know that this guy should be ok with flying it so anyway I am into this plane for 420.00 so I tell him 500.00 because it is already built the guy says ok and gives me his credit card this is on Thursday he took it out and flew it on Friday and a lot of guys were out at the field and they all said it flew great and by Saturday I sold the other three I had in stock and have 4 more ordered for people that want them it is great to see how thing come around in full circle so it was a great week hope I did not ramble too much just thought I would share this story with you and when I have time I will build one for me and let you know how it flies anyway I will talk to you guys later in the week

proud hobbyshop owner

Rick
Old 06-12-2006, 03:46 PM
CRAZYRYAN

hey talk to your accountant about online internet you will get double the profit. itll keep you even more busy plus pay off that loan faster too. make sure the online orders are the real customers and not thiefs steatling credit card numbers online.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:03 PM
nrichardz

crazyrayan If I wanted to set up an internet hobbyshop I could have done that out of my garage that is not the point of being a shop owner some people just do not understand

Proud hobbyshop owner

Rick
Old 06-13-2006, 06:06 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

Sounds like a budding RTF enterprise starting up, I know that a lot more of these type of craft would be sold if you could use your own transmitter, receiver and batteries, servo's in ready to just plug and play I know I would have bought a Stryker if it was available without the usless to me bits.
So glad that everything is working out so well for you, do you have a web site yet for the shop or club, would be interested in having a look at the shop, how about a couple of pics inside and out, advertising and promotion is everything.

Mike
Old 06-13-2006, 06:47 AM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Rick,

That is a great strory. I have been reading several threads about the Ultrafly P-51. It sure is a nice looking plane. Sounds like things are going well for you. I have to agree with Mike, we need to see some pictures of your shop inside and out. Maybe you can just take 4 or 5 of them and post them right here on this thread when you get a chance. Is a web site part of your plan for the future? I know my local club has a simple one that I go on to check dates for fun fly's etc.

Thanks for the update, and I wish you continued success with the new shop.

Adam

Old 06-13-2006, 11:38 AM
trackman

i just stumbled onto this thread. its too bad your not in my area rick, i could see me spending a lot
of money with you. i believe in supporting the lhs, but it also should support us. you seem to have a
good attitude and im sure you will do well. just listen to the customers. our lhs has burnt a lot of bridges
in the past by not ordering things for us, or forgetting or whatever the case may be. after waiting 3 weeks
you end up ordering it online. trust me if i really want it i have no problem paying in advance. i wish you
well, dont want you to make the same mistakes as others.
keep us updated, i enjoyed reading the thread!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:03 PM
nrichardz

Hey Guys have a little time this evening so figured I would get online and see what is going on as far as an update things are going well this week but not much to report I have not gotten the website up and running yet for the shop but will be up soon I have a computer buddy working on it but he has been extremely busy and it is taking a little longer than expected but will let you know when it is up and running I will take some pictures of the shop and post them this weekend so you can see what it looks like I hope the moderators wont get mad if I post some pictures? (mike I do not know if you can get them in england but parkzone now offers some of their planes without electronics I have a couple of P51's from parkzone in stock right now without electronics and they are 99.00 the stryker is 89.95 includes motor and prop try asking your local shop they should be able to get them) Mike I also went and checked the depron jet site and the planes look pretty nice I guess the are only making the 2 planes BAE Hawk and F16 but there was not a lot of info on the planes so don't know if they are EDF or Pusher Planes I got the phone number but could not get an answer when I called hopefully I went to the right site if you could post the link so I know I am looking at the right web site it would be appreciated very much thanks guys again for all the support will talk to you later

Proud hobbyshop owner

Rick
Old 06-15-2006, 05:49 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

Depronjet are at http:\\depronjet.co.uk I do not know if you have looked yet but I gave an explanation of adverse yaw on the "Home Built Foamies" Thread for you, thats the aileron differential explanation.

Mike
Old 06-16-2006, 06:57 PM
nrichardz

Mike checked it out and I am going to try and bring some in to the shop and I did check out the explanation of aileron differential thanks for all the help will take some pictures of the shop tomorrow and post them for you guys all is well and things are going great this week I am going flying this weekend with the guys again I think the guys like to see me out there at the flying field and it has been bringing more of them into the shop so it seems to be great will post pictures tomorrow so stay tuned otherwise things are well mike did you ask your LHS about the parkzone planes

Rick
Old 06-19-2006, 08:02 PM
nrichardz

Sorry I have not posted pictures yet guys I have been really busy but will take some tomorrow and try to get them posted (Mike I have a question for you I had a customer come in today looking for some parts for a car the car is a tenth technologies predator and I have been looking trying to find a website for them I do know that they originated out of england and maybe now have either gone out of business or changed names please if you know anything about this company can you please let me know it would be much appreciated

Proud Hobby Shop Owner

Rick
Old 06-20-2006, 03:24 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

Try www.ttechracing.com I think you will find it there, also there is a disscusion thread on RCU on this particular car. If you are busy that means everything is going well, lots of orders and lots of selling, get the pics posted so we can see what you are doing and where.

Continued success to you

Mike
Old 06-23-2006, 08:28 PM
bwalker25

rick - I wish you the best of luck, I wish we had someone like that here...in raleigh nc there is a store, but it doesn't seem like anyone in there wants to help you at all, they all seem to ignore the customer and degrade what item the customer has bought even if it was from another LHS or tower. My LHS or semi LHS is approx 30 minutes from here, and they do ALOT of nitro, so much that they dont sell much if any electrics. To me the most important thing is customer service, you wont sell a damn thing to anyone even at cost if you are a jerk to them. and if you do sell it to them then I can assure you they wont come back. I personally wish we had more people like you here in NC with a LHS that have a big passion for the hobby/industry as a whole.

We learned before my wife and I got married, that communication was the key to making it last. So remember to make it in as an owner of a LHS you need to communicate with your customers (customer service!)

Our LHS gives a 10% discount to anyone that buys a full kit from them, but to be honest I wont go back unless I am hurting for a pinion gear or something and dont wanna wait on tower to get it to me! I'll go to Hungates at the mall and let them special order it and pay 20% mroe before I go to my LHS and be ignored by the jerk behind the counter and all the others in that store.

I'm not a fan of the LHS in raleigh, but I will buy from hungates or any other shop that has half way decent people and a really nice atmosphere about it. sorry if I seem like a jerk of a customer, but I dont like being ignored. Always remember that its your customers NOT your suppliers/distributors that keep you in business. If you put up a website LMK i'll order from you

I dont look for a good deal, I look for good people and friendly people with advise! although a good deal does help sometimes, but isn't always necessary

best wishes
Brandon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.