Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis
Reload this Page >

who is sick of the electric power craze???? conspiracy?

Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

who is sick of the electric power craze???? conspiracy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 09:52 AM
icrashbipes
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who is sick of the electric power craze???? conspiracy?

OK, OK, I know it's good for the hobby. It introduces more beginners, it adds a vast product line for LHS's and the big manufacters to stock therefore creating bigger avenues of income. It's the future of the hobby. It's quiet and clean, etc.. BLAH BLAH BLAH

I'm sick of it. I subscribe to 3 different RC mags, and for someone who doesn't fly electric, they have become a waste of money.
90% of covered aircraft flight/field reports are dedicated completly to electric flight.

I'm not an old timer, I don't fear change, while I'm not a huge glow fan, I love my gassers.

Let me tell you about my electric project. I had to try it, what was all this excitement about? I bought a seagull harrier .46 $159, a castle creations phoenix 110 ESC $229, a eflite 61 brushless outrunner $149, servos $75, had the receiver ($80), carbon fiber gear $25 and a Hobby lobby 4 cell li poly $169!!!!

I planned to set up this bird and use it at funflys since I dont own anything small for flight competition. Have you done the math yet? $886 and I'm not including the servo extentions, switches, etc. that go in every project you build. If I had to buy my charger for the li pos It would be over $1000 invested in a 40 size plane. BTW the plane came out heavier than it's recommended glow weight. It flew fine, had unlimited vert but lacked the 3D capability due to the weight (don't really care, I'm not a big 3D guy anyway). I could have set this bird up w/ a .46 glow, and spent less than $450 to have it flying.

This brings me to my last question, have the manufacturers, RC mags (that bow down to them) conspired to promote this part of the hobby
that is twice as expensive?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:24 PM
F1race79
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: who is sick of the electric power craze???? conspiracy?

I agree with you about the mags............but I do love my foamies and indoor flying.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:57 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Not a conspiracy, but the future. Batteries are getting more capable for leaning edge stuff, but last years tech is very affordable.
Last year over 1/2 the hobby sales were electric and the percentage will go up this year.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:01 PM
jashley1

It's too bad you feel that way aboout electric. I've been at this hobby for awhile--I remember when Monokote and CA were new--and enjoy the electrics. I can carry an electric model fully assembled in my Jeep and fly on the way home from work when the wind isn't blowing too hard. I can't do that with my 50cc gassers. Being able to fly in pastures allows one to get more stick time in and that equals enjoyment. How many times have you done something with your gasser that left you grinning? They all have a place in our hobby. Folks that say ARF's are killing the hobby or gas models the size of some ultralights will also doom us to extinction need to take a closer look, or maybe take up global warming as a cause. As far as magazines go, I agree that most current issues lack the flavor thay once had. Fly RC and MAN are too trendy for me. I like Flying Models and RC Report the best.

I'd suggest you sell the electric flagship you have and spend the money on some of the less expensive, but more fun, things out there. I'm not trying to flame you, just hope you will eventually get as much enjoyment from the hobby as it has to offer.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:01 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

I'm in agreement for the most part.

I fly a bit of all of them. Currently own a 78" gasser, 3 glow planes, and a balsa built up electric, and am building a 1/4 scale that may be glow or gas, not sure yet. As you pointed out, electrics are quiet, clean, etc etc etc. However, I absolutely must agree with you...the commonly held belief that the cost is even comparable is a downright MYTH.

Sure...you CAN get an electric plane in the air for $X...but to convert a glow plane to electric will, as you discovered, cost a BUCNH more than X imo.

Do I think it's a conspiracy? Eh...no more than any other industry driving the "latest technology" is.

Honestly, I think their popularity really has more to do with 2 simple factors:

1) The "big guys" fly electric. Look around at the results of the various high profile competitions over the last 3-4 years. More and more often, you're seeing "big time pros" flying electric aircraft n competition. And, of course, as we saw with the explosion of biplanes, then later Extras, and more recently Yaks, EVERYBODY wants to fly what the big boys fly...so, electric it is.

2) Immediate gratification. It's the age old issue in nearly ANY activity...make it easy, simple, and fast, and you can charge more. So, take your average newbie. He sees glow and/or gas guys carting boxes and tollchests full of equipment around, starters, big field batteries, $17/gallon glow fuel, mucking about with mixing oil and gas (and remembering to stop and buy them!), etc etc etc. Then, once we get all this "garbage" out to the field, we twist needles, change plugs, fuel, defuel, argue with a poorly running engine, "waste" time breaking in new ones, and on and on. What does he do? Grab a plane, a radio, and a charger that fits in his cigarette lighter, and off he goes. Turn plane on, hit throttle, and we're off. Done flying, swap a battery, put the first one on charge, and here we go again. Quick, easy, simple. Quite honestly, I happen to like my Mini Funtana, and enjoyed my ElectroStreak for precisely this reason...they are quick, easy, and simple to get some flights in, no mucking about with any sort of hassle.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying that it's "right" or "wrong"...merely that, imo, those are the two factors that drive the current electric popularity.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:20 PM
tadracket

I don't belong to a club. I fly at the local park. Most parks will not allow nitro planes and I think that is what started the electric phenom. Like everything else, it has evolved. We as a society feel the need to become a paperless, fuelless, don't hurt my ecco system type of people and I think one day (hopefully millions of moons from now) we will not have liquid fuels or ICEs. That sucks, but thats evolution. The future belongs to AC/DC.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:31 PM
icrashbipes

Excellent points concerning immediate gratification.
I was once one of those glow fliers that was fed up with all baggage that comes with that power source. A few years back, I switched to gas only and have been happy ever since.

Your point about switching batteries. This was another issue that I encountered with my short run at electric flight. When you pay 169 dollars for a battery that will give you the performance you need for your installed equipment, the last thing you wanna do is buy another. So what did I do? I had to wait an hour between flights while it charged.

I'll concede that smaller packs for foamies and the like are fairly inexpensive, if you fly anything over 6lbs you are going to be forking over some major bucks for 4 or more cells worth of battery. Then you also have to think about shelf life and cell balancers and burning your house down, etc.

I don't care what people fly, whatever makes you happy is fine w/ me. But don't force this stuff on me in the print media. There are magazines dedicated to electric flight only, if I want to read 20 articles on electric related material I will pick up one of them.

ORIGINAL: gboulton

I'm in agreement for the most part.

I fly a bit of all of them. Currently own a 78" gasser, 3 glow planes, and a balsa built up electric, and am building a 1/4 scale that may be glow or gas, not sure yet. As you pointed out, electrics are quiet, clean, etc etc etc. However, I absolutely must agree with you...the commonly held belief that the cost is even comparable is a downright MYTH.

Sure...you CAN get an electric plane in the air for $X...but to convert a glow plane to electric will, as you discovered, cost a BUCNH more than X imo.

Do I think it's a conspiracy? Eh...no more than any other industry driving the "latest technology" is.

Honestly, I think their popularity really has more to do with 2 simple factors:

1) The "big guys" fly electric. Look around at the results of the various high profile competitions over the last 3-4 years. More and more often, you're seeing "big time pros" flying electric aircraft n competition. And, of course, as we saw with the explosion of biplanes, then later Extras, and more recently Yaks, EVERYBODY wants to fly what the big boys fly...so, electric it is.

2) Immediate gratification. It's the age old issue in nearly ANY activity...make it easy, simple, and fast, and you can charge more. So, take your average newbie. He sees glow and/or gas guys carting boxes and tollchests full of equipment around, starters, big field batteries, $17/gallon glow fuel, mucking about with mixing oil and gas (and remembering to stop and buy them!), etc etc etc. Then, once we get all this "garbage" out to the field, we twist needles, change plugs, fuel, defuel, argue with a poorly running engine, "waste" time breaking in new ones, and on and on. What does he do? Grab a plane, a radio, and a charger that fits in his cigarette lighter, and off he goes. Turn plane on, hit throttle, and we're off. Done flying, swap a battery, put the first one on charge, and here we go again. Quick, easy, simple. Quite honestly, I happen to like my Mini Funtana, and enjoyed my ElectroStreak for precisely this reason...they are quick, easy, and simple to get some flights in, no mucking about with any sort of hassle.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying that it's "right" or "wrong"...merely that, imo, those are the two factors that drive the current electric popularity.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:55 PM
fly109

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: icrashbipes

This brings me to my last question, have the manufacturers, RC mags (that bow down to them) conspired to promote this part of the hobby
that is twice as expensive?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

As far as manufacturers and magazines go, my opinion is that it is not a conspiricy but rather - simple economics. Right now, electrics are the all the buzz. If you own a business and had nothing electric in your line-up, would it be accurate to say that perhaps you might be looking into it? Same with the magazines, they are just reflections of the hobby and a business too. I know I have looked into some of the electric stuff for our line-up or possibly electrifying one of the current models. But my opinion is that; while electrics are here to stay, the buzz will die off somewhat over the next few years - it always does. As for the magazines, not all of them are flooded with electric stuff.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:32 PM
icrashbipes

FLY109 said:
As for the magazines, not all of them are flooded with electric stuff.

but the big two are flooded, Fly RC and MAN, these are the most readily availible therefore giving them an edge over real r/c mags like RC REPORT.

You can pick these up at any grocery store, my LHS doesnt even carry RC Report or any other offering for that matter other than FLY RC and MANews. I've taken MAN for 8 years now and am a charter subscriber to FLY RC, I agree w/ jashley, they are too damn trendy. But this takeover of electric articles has only recently surfaced (past 4-6 months).
Old 04-12-2006, 03:12 PM
MustangFan

Not a big fan of electrics ... real planes run on Fuel/Gas!
But I own a small electric ... just for lazy fun times.

They sound like a car vacuum when running ... I like the sound of combustion !

Each to his/her own ... the hobby has space for all ... .

I'm a man ... but I can change ... if I have to ... I guess ! ( Red Green)
Old 04-12-2006, 04:12 PM
carlosponti

ORIGINAL: MustangFan

I'm a man ... but I can change ... if I have to ... I guess ! ( Red Green)
lmao i love the red green show.

i want one electric but yes there is overcoverage in magazines and yes its too expensive right now. eventually the price will come down the more people get involved and i dont think this will replace nitro and gas there will always be a market for them. the hype will go away eventually as well. keep your stick on the ice.(also from red green)
Old 04-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

RD, I love my giant scale gassers, all 7 of em. I also fly them a lot. However, I have a couple of foamies, a GWS Corsair and a 3D Bipe. I really get a bang out of them. I can step out my front door and fly the bipe, otherwise, I have to drive 14 miles to the flying field to fly a gasser. I resisted going to electrics for quite a while. After the initial investment, they have been very economical to fly. I can pretty easily move the equipment to another plane.

Most of the guys that I fly giant scale with have one or more electrics. I have only one slimer that I have no interest in flying any more.

When my 3 year subscription to MAN ran out this year I refused to subscribe again because the magazine is no longer balanced. Why should I pay for a subscription to a magazine dedicated mostly to electric when I can get better and more up to date information on RCU, Watt Flyer, and RC Groups? By the way, I still enjoy Model Aviation and High Flight.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:21 PM
FlyWV

My most expensive electric- 36"WS Balsa/monokote Spitfire ARF- $60, 3 servos- $27, 4ch reciever- $15, 2409-15 brushless motor AND esc $30, 3 cell liPo 1500mAh $48.

ARF,servos and Rx came from Raidentech, battery from Tower, and motor and esc from rchotdeals. I'm never sticky(nor is my plane)or smell like fuel when I get home from the field, no warming up, no "its not running right", just charge at home and fly when I get there, then throw in the second battery and fly some more while the first is in the cool down stage then charge it while I'm flying the third. I can literally fly all day if I want to.

In a 40 size instead of the brushless use a geared 540-600 brushed motor and 3300mAh car batteries. There's no reason an electric should cost any more than a glo plane unless you go buy the most expensive stuff you can find(which sounds like you did). Not trying to agitate, just sounds like you're trying to spin the issue.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:55 PM
N46203

I flew only electrics for a couple years but I got so sick of them. They're great for their plug and play capability, but I hate dealing with charging batteries.

The biggest thing I hate about electrics is the fact that as they loose battery they loose power. In a glow plane you get consistant performance no matter how much fuel you have left.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:21 AM
icrashbipes

bought a qq byp yak, had some fun but flying in wind led to it's demise. bought a replacement. same thing happened. too many variables are in play. you buy cheap, you have to fly at midnight at the softball field where the wind is light. you buy big and you have to mortgage your house.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:18 AM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

I was a very hard convert to electric, because it was always such a difficult and esoteric side of the hobby. For many years, electric was really only practical in gliders as a way to get them up. The batteries and radios were too large and heavy, and the motors not powerful enough. Then, you had a choice of a slow boring model that would run for 7 minutes, or a fast, fun model that would run for 2 minutes. Now, I am running fast, maneuverable models for 30+ minutes. A similar sized glow model would be much cheaper to run, but the cost is still reasonable for the performance. Power for what amounts to a .15 sized model cost me more than the RCV .91 CD that I just got (Mega 16/15/6, PHX 25, Park BEC and TP 2100 Lipo).

The advent of Lipo and brushless has made me a partial convert, at least for the small stuff. Anything much larger than a .40 sized plane is very expensive to power electrically, but I believe that will change in the not so distant future.

There is definitely an advantage to dragging a few batteries, tx and a few planes to the field, flying, then throwing the plane on your leather seat for the drive home!
Old 07-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Big_Bird

I have flown Giant Scale gassers since 1982. Times are sure changing. In the Summer 2006 issue of the IMAA magazine High Flight there are 3, count em 3, articles on electric giant scale items. Electric powered planes are here to stay whether you like them or not. I am currently in the evolving process and building a 35" WS Dumas Waco YMF-5.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Ramones The

Didn't Tower Hobbies sell more Electric Flight products than Fuel Powered in 2005 ? R/C product manufacturers are businesses first, and the growing trend right now is electric flight.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: icrashbipes

bought a qq byp yak, had some fun but flying in wind led to it's demise. bought a replacement. same thing happened. too many variables are in play. you buy cheap, you have to fly at midnight at the softball field where the wind is light. you buy big and you have to mortgage your house.
Not necessarily; my 3DFoamy.com SuperCap can easily handle 15mph winds and I'm sure my new Pro Giles will do equally well in the wind. You just aren't going to have the same success if you are trying to fly an indoor foamy out in the wind.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:35 PM
scoooper

Bigbird I saw your Bücker Jungme in your "my models" section, That has to be the nice's bipe I think I've ever saw! Got more pix's? your bub, scoooper PS always wanted one of de-dat- does,
Old 08-21-2006, 09:57 PM
scoooper

big bird : Sometimes as we get to the top end of any sport , boats, bikes or whatever, the high-end stuff $ as it's less in demand,and they make less of them ,electric power has drawn off suppiers to this new craze, but unlike some craze's I think this ones here to stay, I would'nt set foot on a "pastic" ( fiberglass)sailboat till the late 70's, and now I own four of em (21'-30') folk like you are go'in to make a lot of us (I'm no spring chicken myself) mis the good old days when 1\4 scale bipe's an such darkened the sky's with balsa, your bub, scoooperPS I was so stoked buy you bipe I almost lost forgot the thread!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15768.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	511131  
Old 08-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Big_Bird

Scoooper, this thread has ground to a halt so I guess I can show a few photos of my Jungie. Here is the build thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...tm.htm#1395907

.........and here are photos of my latest electric biplane. It is a Dumas 35" ws Waco YMF-5 complete with 26 super bright LEDs for night flying.

Name:	Sq47494.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	511187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89902.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	511188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32323.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	511189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45232.jpg
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	511190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67025.jpg
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	511191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41603.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	511192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb74025.jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	511193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61563.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	511194  

Old 08-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Big_Bird

Here are a couple more photos with the headlights on. They really do light up the runway.

Giant scale planes are still my favorite but I sure have had fun with my electrics.

Here are a couple more photos of my other night flyer.

Name:	Vt58189.jpg
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	511201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82781.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	511202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31774.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	511203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36031.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	511204  
Old 08-21-2006, 11:11 PM
scoooper

Ken: thanks buddy, your new ones super! It was gett'in a bit dark this evening but I had to go-up ONE MORE TIME and you guessed right, I lost her against the treeline (dark plane) an had to let her find her own way down, anyhoo, long story short, we found her(no damage!) lites are the hot setup, I got your big bipe as my desktop background, hope you don't mind, thanks for the pixs, your bub, scoooper,PS heres my field, just me an my little bubs fly here, owners a bub of mine

Name:	Ol31695.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	511214  
Old 09-03-2006, 03:43 AM
nitrowatt

I breased through the thread. I only even bothered because the "conspiracy?" BS caught my eye. I'm 34 and have been in RC since I was 12. My HiPo .61 Dirty Birdy will RIP THE ***** off any of MY brushless planes or helis...and certainly your gassers...but they ALL have a place in the hobby...at least in MY HOBBY...I guess you're idea of OUR hobby is a bit individual. PLEASE embrace the spectrum of equiupment that's now available. There's lots of fun to be had!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.