Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

Windows Vista, Anyone tried it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windows Vista, Anyone tried it?

I have, works great with everything that I use. My PDA syncs perfect with the new Windows Mobile Center, Realflight G3.5 is smooth with no hickups. I really love the new look of the desktop, casading windows (instead of AltTab) is great. So far so good. Lets hear what you think.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Kevinator9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Windows Vista, Anyone tried it?

My dad got a brand new laptop when it came out but he wanted xp because he was used to it and wasn't sure how good it would be or if it would end up like mellenium edition...
Old 02-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tigger N. Bennie
Anyone here using CS3? Anyone running it with Vista Ultimate?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_26...tm.htm#5350081
Old 02-25-2007, 06:51 PM
johnny1333

ya, vista suxx
Old 02-25-2007, 07:00 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: johnny1333

ya, vista suxx
I remember when I was 12
Old 02-28-2007, 01:55 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Vista on a new Dell , but am not very happy with it using G3 . Seems like its using 80% of my cpu most of the time , and having trouble loading add ons #1. I loaded G3 , entered the serial numbers , ran it , good. Loaded expansion pack one , loaded the serial number , opened G3 , had to reload the G3 & Tx serial numbers , started G3 ,then had to reload the EP serial # then it worked. Loaded the Add ons and its and its asking for the disc. The disk is in the drive , the computor shows it in the drive , but G3 can not find it. So , I'm going to contact tech support to see what I can do.

Andy
Old 04-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Paul88880000

I had the beta version of vista a few months ago for testing,
I didn't like It,far to buggy even for a beta version and no chance at all of installing a wireless network printer/scanner.

I hear on the grapevine that sp 1 Is already being rolled out.
I now use mac osX.
[:-]

Paul.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:22 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul,

I hope so , besides the fact it runs a little slow , I'm having video issues. You can fly but the shadows are very quirky , and I've got the "Buck Rodgers " atmospheric window showing up. Its a big square off in the clouds.

Andy
Old 04-11-2007, 10:27 AM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

for vista you need a LOT of RAM and a fast hard drive + a video card with lots of RAM as well
Old 04-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

When I asked my computer guru about it he said even when loaded into the new computers being delivered that some of the drivers are lacking and no drivers are available at the moment. I set one up for a neighbor and got the message that there was no driver available for the installedsound card. Also some software that you may have been using on XP will not play on Vista. All in all a good system except for these minor irritants.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Paul88880000

I used the business premium beta version of vista on my test machine/server In november 06 ,
running twin dual core opterons o/c 6% on modified coolermaster blowers,
with 6 Gig ram and a brand spanking new 76Gig 10,000rpm sata drive.

It was as buggy as feck,
I couldn't possibly recomend this OS to the company I work for.

They know I do a little bit of programming for a hobby because whenever I use there pc's,
I plug my own modified DSL OS pen drive Into a very old PC that's on the company network,
the machine must be seven years old.

We had some new machines installed april 4th,
and a new network set up with passwords for each user.

It must have taken me about nine minutes to bypass the admin password and gain full administrator access,
all this with a simple linux pen drive.

:-).
Paul
Old 04-18-2007, 10:47 PM
psiturbo

Vista sucks a lot of memory on the computer.

Also, it has many security issues and for that reason it is NOT used in our workplace computers.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:25 AM
matt3D

Vista is getting better, I got it with a dell xps 410, it doesn't eat a lot of cpu, unless you have a slower cpu?, I have a core 2 duo so it's fine, I have never seen the cpu go to 100% even with having a #(@* load of programs open and running. It doesn't use too much more memory then XP, but now a days it's normal to have 1gb of ram, but vista really runs well with 2gb... Overall, everything is running great, just make sure you disable UAC, (user account control), so you don't get annoying pop ups about new programs you are installing. Also, vista doesn't give you full administrator rights, you have to switch your account to the full administrator, so that every time you run a program you run it as an administrator, which is needed sometimes. Many drivers are not compatible yet with vista, but for your gpu, just check your manufacture for updated drivers. Also, check for bios updates, I used to get a blue screen error every other time I restarted my computer because the gpu was conflicting with the mb; once I installed the new bios update everything was great! More people will probably get vista once service pack one comes out... that's my hypothesis. Oh yeah, if you are trying to host on g3, you need to disable ip v6 in network connections because it conflicts with hosting, before whenever I tried to host it would say around 5 ip addresses and say no public ip found, once I turned off internet protocol version 6, everything worked great and I was able to start hosting... (Most of us are still running on IPv4, including me, Comcast doesn't use ipv6 yet...)

Regards,
Matt
Old 04-19-2007, 12:29 AM
matt3D

ORIGINAL: psiturbo

Vista sucks a lot of memory on the computer.

Also, it has many security issues and for that reason it is NOT used in our workplace computers.
"Vista treats system memory like a cache much more aggressively and effectively than any other version of Windows"

More info:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000688.html
Old 04-19-2007, 05:02 AM
psiturbo

I read most of the blog and understand they are catching up to what Linux has been doing for years.

I did not say anything wrong, yes its true... Vista uses a lot of RAM.

My buddy just stepped up from XP to Vista. Before he could play WOW with XP, have a few programs open and listen to music at the same time.

Since he installed Vista, he can only play WOW and needs to keep programs running to a minimum so the computer does not freeze up. I understand it is using RAm more effectively and less strain to the HD, but still it does suck plenty of DDR2.

He never had any issues with RAM although it states on the link XP is ineffective until he jumped to Vista. Now he had to buy 2 Gigs to do the same tasks as when he had XP.

I visited various other computer tech forums and all agree on one thing, you need at least 2 Gigs to run Vista Premium on your computer and the operating system is huge compared to XP.

[link=http://forums.vnunet.com/thread.jspa?threadID=102814&start=0&tstart=0]Vista vs. XP[/link]

[link=http://www.vista64.net/forums/vista-general/52697-vista-vs-xp-size.html]Vista vs. XP Size[/link]

[link=http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1167124]Vista vs. XP RAM[/link]

I think this one explains it in a nutshell:

[link=http://planethalflife.gamespy.com/View.php?view=TechCorner.Detail&id=37]Jumping from XP to Vista[/link]

The Epic Conclusion

From the results you see here you can tell that there is roughly a 17% decrease in performance when going from Windows XP to Windows Vista and to most people, that's a pretty significant hit, and not one they're willing to take. To others, if you have the hardware to handle really high resolutions with the ability to pump out crisp images heavy in HDR, AA, and AF then you shouldn't have any problems running in Vista.

One point that I would like to touch on though is the fact that NVIDIA could very well release new drivers that increase performance and make up for a good chunk of the lost margin. The 100.65 drivers that I'm currently using are one of NVIDIA's first series of drivers for Windows Vista, and they have been known for being able to pull a few more frames just by releasing a driver update.

So, my final take on the subject is if you have a high end PC and would like to go Vista, just do some research and make sure you're going to have a smooth transition; if you don't have a high end PC, then just wait till you can afford a new setup and purchase it with it.

Author's Note: Special Thanks to NVIDIA, Microsoft, Valve, D3pth Charge, and (cf)Eclipse.

From the TechCorner of HalfLife 2

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52846.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	667852  
Old 04-19-2007, 12:09 PM
DEFORCER

Vista would work great on an Alienware
Old 06-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Trollmaster

One of my running buddies here is a computer tech. He told me to leave it alone for a while until some service packs come out. Toomany problems. Stick with XP
Old 07-08-2007, 01:07 AM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

Just hold off untill SP1 for Vista comes out.. Then see what people have to say.

Think back to when XP came out.. Driver support sucked. some programs wouldn't run.. it's was a nightmare..
same thing, new OS.. It'll get better with time.

I tried Vista.. I'm on XP for now..

When I'm not flying I support MS Exchange servers for 35,000 users in 40 domains. I hope I know what I'm talking about.