RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-planes-helis-391/)
-   -   Learning Disabilities (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-planes-helis-391/11651867-learning-disabilities.html)

gregoryshock 07-22-2018 04:51 AM

Learning Disabilities

If your on the RC Groups forums you might have read this already. I'm posting it here too so that I don't haft to write up a completely different one for here.

I wish I could keep my learning disability private. Unless you know me it's none of your business. Unfortunately my learning disability effects me in everything I do, so people don't understand what my "problem" is until I explain it to them.

I was diagnosed with it my second year in Elementary School. I was put in a class called readiness. It was a class for those who went to kindergarten but wasn't good enough to go onto the first grade. At that time only parents would of been told what kind of learning disability I have. They don't remember being told.

It made school hard for me. I can not recall any classes I really liked because they all came hard. I was jut glad that I was able to work my butt off and pass them!

The reason I decided to post this here is because in one of my threads it finally became necessary to bring up the fact that I have learning disability and I'm not any good at math. Math is really important on some of the things you do when building a model airplane.

In some ways the reason I'm still in the hobby of flying and building R/C planes is due to my learning disability. It's hard for me get a job, therefor I stick to the job I currently have. It's also hard for me live by myself. So I live with my parents on a farm where I can fly. Unfortunately my learning disability also makes it impossible for me to build some airplanes that I want to build because I haft to rely on my Dad to do the math part of it. If at any point He decides that He's not going to do something that is suggested in the forums, and it needs to be done that way, and If I can't convince him. We're both sunk.

I could add more details but that would just make this post that much longer and it would be impossible for me cover all of them with in a few minutes of writing. Provided that any of those details come to me right off hand. I've often found that no matter how much time I put into a making a post something gets missed and someone will bring it up in the comments and I'll be like "Oh duh why didn't I write about that?"

rgburrill 07-22-2018 10:36 AM

I'm confused. :confused: What's the problem?

Jim_Purcha 07-22-2018 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by gregoryshock (Post 12449027)
If your on the RC Groups forums you might have read this already. I'm posting it here too so that I don't haft to write up a completely different one for here.

I wish I could keep my learning disability private. Unless you know me it's none of your business. Unfortunately my learning disability effects me in everything I do, so people don't understand what my "problem" is until I explain it to them.

I was diagnosed with it my second year in Elementary School. I was put in a class called readiness. It was a class for those who went to kindergarten but wasn't good enough to go onto the first grade. At that time only parents would of been told what kind of learning disability I have. They don't remember being told.

It made school hard for me. I can not recall any classes I really liked because they all came hard. I was jut glad that I was able to work my butt off and pass them!

The reason I decided to post this here is because in one of my threads it finally became necessary to bring up the fact that I have learning disability and I'm not any good at math. Math is really important on some of the things you do when building a model airplane.

In some ways the reason I'm still in the hobby of flying and building R/C planes is due to my learning disability. It's hard for me get a job, therefor I stick to the job I currently have. It's also hard for me live by myself. So I live with my parents on a farm where I can fly. Unfortunately my learning disability also makes it impossible for me to build some airplanes that I want to build because I haft to rely on my Dad to do the math part of it. If at any point He decides that He's not going to do something that is suggested in the forums, and it needs to be done that way, and If I can't convince him. We're both sunk.

I could add more details but that would just make this post that much longer and it would be impossible for me cover all of them with in a few minutes of writing. Provided that any of those details come to me right off hand. I've often found that no matter how much time I put into a making a post something gets missed and someone will bring it up in the comments and I'll be like "Oh duh why didn't I write about that?"

I can very much understand your situation. I have a twin brother who unfortunately went through the same issues in elementary and high school. He has held down several jobs but has currently been a civic employee in the Parks and Recreation Department for 25 years (health benefits and pension plan). We are now 57 years of age. We can both retire in 7.5 years at age 65. He lives on his own in a small apartment still single. I'm married with two kids, fly the models, finished university with an engineering degree. I am currently looking for new employment. Company was bought out, than closed down a few years later. I only had one employer with pension plan. In the end, my brother will probably do better than me at retirement age. I help him with his income tax at tax time. Installed a new battery in his car last week. We both try to help our 86 year old mom at times.

tntpooof 07-26-2018 02:35 PM

say what i cant remember. ? what? brother had something similar he was held back in kindergarden.. he could not stay in the lines.he was a laazy butt