Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

OMP 65" Yak KARF

Old 12-20-2010, 08:16 PM
madman75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP 65" Yak KARF

I had a guy give me an OMP Yak 65" (discontinued) with one wing partially started. I'm in the process of finishing the wing and was looking at the instructions for building the other wing panel. I'm a little confused about the angle guide that is used to set the wing ribs. This is what is said in the instructions:
5. Glue each rib to the lower spar at exactly the proper angle using the laser cut "Rib Angle Guide" provided making sure each rib is fully seated. The ribs should tilt toward the tip just slightly. Note that the rear mounting tab on R1 and the notches on R3 and R4 will face upward at this time (right wing panel). When repeating this step for the left wing panel, the R1 tab and R3/R4 notches will face downward! Use thick CA to tack glue the rib trailing edges to the jig.
Do you turn the rib angle guide upside down for the other wing panel or do it like the right side panel? It would seem to me that the one wing panel ribs would be tilted at the top and the other wing panel tilted at the bottom. Since the right wing is stated first, the bottom of the ribs are angled to the tip and the top of the left wing ribs would tilt to the tip. I assume the root ribs are angled also. Wouldn't this want to make the wings bolt on at a funny angle?
The instructions seem vague about this procedure. A little help is needed.
Thanks
BTW, the angle guide I have doesn't look like the one in the instructions so I don't know for sure which is up on it.
This is the one pictured in the manual. Mine doesn't say bottom on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31467.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1536678  
Old 12-29-2010, 03:08 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: OMP 65

The wings on the 65" Yak are "quad tapered" which means they are tapered on the top and bottom of the wings as well as the leading and trailing edges. So when building the wing panels flat on the board, the ribs will angle slightly towards the tip. The angle guide will help you properly align the ribs so when the wings are joined they are straight up and down. Bothe wings are built in exactly the same manner. Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:19 PM
madman75

That's what I was looking for. Now I can begin the other wing. How critical is it to get the wing ribs pretty well perfect with the wing angle guide? Someone had started the other wing and a few of the ribs weren't quite right according to the angle guide. There was really no way I could fix the few ribs that were off. He had the trailing and leading edge pieces already glued in place along with the spars.
Also, what is the torque rating for the servos for this plane. I couldn't find anything in the manual(cd)?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:18 PM
AFSalmon

Only the root rib is critical for the angle so that they mate up to the fuselage flush.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:10 PM
madman75

What torque rating for the servos do you recommend?
Thanks
Old 01-08-2011, 03:58 PM
AFSalmon

90-110 is fine for this plane.

Mike