Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

OMP EXTRA 300 ailaron flutter

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:23 AM
wwcustumcovering

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP EXTRA 300 ailaron flutter

hi my name is john I have recently got my hands on a 2014 OMP EXTRA 300 and I love it but Im haveing a problem with flutter in the ailarons ????? I have tried new servos hitec 7950 TH s , sealing the gaps, tightening covering, checked all hindges and ball links. It seems to do it even at half throttal , so bad you can here it ...... what else can I try to fix this other wise wonderfull plaine ?????? S F Gs maybe??? Running DLE 61 Maybe vibrating to hard??? some one please HELP PS I know my spelling sucks
Old 08-23-2015, 03:29 PM
garlandk
My Feedback: (4)

Sorry I don't come on RCU often. I have gone full throttle with mine with zero aileron flutter. Might want to check the piece glued into the aileron. It could be sliding in and out while flying.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:03 PM
JayBird26

Same problem! Not much help from OMP! Running the package setup. tried everything! many many expert modelers are left scratching their head. Also had it in the elevator. Airplane is good until you open it up. I'm not going to pass it on to a buddy. Guess I'll fly to fail or park it.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:23 AM
garlandk
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by JayBird26
Same problem! Not much help from OMP! Running the package setup. tried everything! many many expert modelers are left scratching their head. Also had it in the elevator. Airplane is good until you open it up. I'm not going to pass it on to a buddy. Guess I'll fly to fail or park it.
Not sure why everyone is having this issue. I have flown my full throttle with no issues. I am running BLS 157 servos on a high voltage setup. Check linkages and control horn and make sure the control horn is not moving at all. Also make sure there is no slop in the controls.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:23 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Flutter is usually a linkage issue. Could be the servos aren't up to the job, they aren't getting enough power, slop in the linkage, servo arms are too long or servo mounting grommets are too soft. If someone really wants help fixing the issue, the best thing to do is provide as much detailed information as possible along with pictures of everything.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:03 PM
JayBird26

Thanks for the replies Gents and thanks for the advice. I am aware about all these fixes/ setup issues and believe me, it's the same advice I get from friends and OMP. I'm away from home right now and I can't remember exactly which servos I'm running (I swapped them trying to fix the problem) but they are well above recommended. I've changed linkages, sealed off the gaps between the ailerons and wings with monokote and that did make an improvement. At first, the flutter started at mid range speeds less than half throttle. We'll see, maybe I'll try a different set of servos again. Recommendations?

i also want to apologize for my original post. After reading it again it didn't come across as very nice. My apologies to OMP, they did make all the same recommendations but I'm not sure what else they could have done without having the aircraft in their hands to determine if its setup or airframe issues.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:15 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

What is your power setup? Things that I am curious about is what voltage and amperage are your batteries? What chemistry are your batteries? What brand are your batteries? Are you running any regulators and if so what brand and model. What type of connectors are used from battery to RX. What switches are used? What brand and model number of servo. What brand and length of servo arm? What is the length of control horn? What engine and prop? All these are contributing factors and usually it's more then one thing creating the issue.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:59 AM
JayBird26

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
What is your power setup? Things that I am curious about is what voltage and amperage are your batteries? What chemistry are your batteries? What brand are your batteries? Are you running any regulators and if so what brand and model. What type of connectors are used from battery to RX. What switches are used? What brand and model number of servo. What brand and length of servo arm? What is the length of control horn? What engine and prop? All these are contributing factors and usually it's more then one thing creating the issue.
engine is Red Lion 58cc, power set up is Troy Built Models power pkg for 40-75cc airplanes that include 2 7.4 volt 3400 mah Li-ion and MPI 6 volt regulator.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/TBMPOWERSYS3.html

I'll have to get back to you on the servos next week. Can't remember what I changed them to , but I think I was running savox to start. More to follow.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:46 PM
JayBird26

UPDATE.....I received replacement parts for my Red Lion engine that was in my OMP Extra 300. I needed a new cylinder head, "jug" because mine broke at the exhaust port due to running a aftermarket wrap around muffler. This muffler that caused the failure in the cylinder head was also the cause of all my flutter problems. At John's recommendation to run the stock muffler to prevent engine damage, I made the repairs this weekend and put 4 flights on it today. I noticed, or should I say didn't notice the flutter problem on the first past. So I did many passes at different speeds and throttle settings, NO FLUTTER. That style muffler coupled the minimal clearance on the back of the head evidently caused a harmonic disturbance that transmitted thru the air-frame and manifested in flutter. One of my good friends that's a lot smarter than me suggested that could be a possible cause, but we did not consider it to be because of the muffler. Huh, who knew, learn something new every day.

Thanks John!