Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

47" Pro Yak Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 07:43 AM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 47" Pro Yak Questions???

So whats seems to be the sweet spot on this plane as far as C.G. I should be getting my plane and engine by the end of this week and hope to maiden by this weekend. Whats some little things I should take note on this plane as I go along? Im moving up from a 47" Edge 540 w/ a 46AX on it. Well the Pro Yak feel really loose and more agile? Does it still float somewhat? Also does it seems to track better in the wind since it has that thinner wing?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 47

I set mine to the aft most recommended setting, it is is a good starting place if you are comfortable 3D'ing the Edge. I have a Saito .82 on mine, 14x4w prop. I shifted my battery bit by bit even further back, and like it there. It depends largely on what you want to do. With this setting I can do tail touches all day, but it really floats on landings and you have to practically harrier land it (but this is easy). Mine went together fine, and I am still the only guy at my club to have the Yak. Three other guys hae the Edge. The Edge harriers better, but I really like the Yak. Not to mention the awesome covering scheme. I recommend going over the ENTIRE plane with an iron, but even then all the tips of the red stripes on the bottom of mine have lifted. I carefully CyA'ed them down. Also go over the motor mount with some thin CyA to bond the edges of the covering, otherwise motor slime will get in there. Overall a blast to fly!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:29 PM
beachbrada

Sounds good, I haven't done much yet for the assembly, Im waiting on thin CA to get in the mail. How does this plane fly in the wind, does it do any better than the Edge since it has thinner wings?
Old 09-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say so. I have flown the Pro Yak on 20 to 30 mph days when everyone else just watched. I have also seen the Edges fly in similar wind, and both planes hande it very well. The Yak may cut through it better with the thinner wing.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:17 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Profiles are a blast in the wind as they have a light wing loading, plenty of control authority, and lots of power to get out of trouble. All this makes these profiles very fun to fly in the wind when others stay on the ground.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got to agree with both Sess and Mike. I've gone out to the field when all the guys were sitting around wishing the wind would go away and hauled out the ProYak and ripped up the place. Wind doesn't seem to matter. What a blast!!

Oh yeah... Hi Mike! Finally going to start my Hybrid.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:44 PM
beachbrada

I think the only time it gets hairy with high wind and profiles is with a bad crosswind. Ive landed in about 10 mph cross wind and it takes some skill to keep the plane straight ahead. Alot of rudder and aileron coordination. I had some trouble this weekend with wind gusts, I would come in to land and get a nice gust about 4 feet off the ground and it would make the plane jump a couple feet, thank god for the tetherite gear.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:11 AM
lomcevac540T
My Feedback: (1)

I have one ordered and should be here today, (combo w/ OS 55). I have four digital servos and one micro for throttle waiting at home. Any suggestions on the build? There aren't any around here to look at, just ordered because I like the looks of this one.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:12 AM
lomcevac540T

One more thing... are you guys leaving the wing two-piece or gluing them on?
Old 10-28-2009, 07:22 AM
rcplanenut
My Feedback: (12)

The plane will be a little more durable if you glue the wings on. It all depends on your transportation needs. Will it fit in your vechical in one piece?
Old 10-28-2009, 07:49 AM
lomcevac540T

I have a trailer I use with my larger stuff, so hauling isn't a problem. I was wondering if it was better to glue them, or if anyone had any problems while leaving them two piece. I guess it would be nice to have the option of removing the wing if needed.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:38 PM
beachbrada

I replaced the nylon wing bolt for a stainless steel one from homedepot. I just use a ratchet to tighten the wings together and the plane feels very sturdy. I just leave the wings together unless I need to do something inside that I cant do through the access panel. I glued my wings together on my Edge 540, but with a small car I can usually only transport one plane to the field, now with the Pro Yak I can take two if I take the wings off. So really its your own choice. Ive flown my Pro Yak on two occassions now and have about 8 flights on it, this plane is a blast to fly. With the Saito 82, hovering is sooooo much easier than with the Edge 540 and a 46AX. I have alot less toruqe roll with the Saito 82 and Xoar 14x4. Ive got the engine mounted all the way back on the rails and the battery mounted just behind the two wing tubes. The plane is very neutral inverted and my dry weight is 4.5 lbs. Also for those who are new to 3Ding, if you arent already running 6V battery packs you should do so. You want your servos as fast as they will go. My cheap Hitec servos are about .19 sec on 4.8v and .15 sec on 6v, the .4 sec faster speed with 6V makes a HUUUUUUGE difference when trying to learn to hover. With 4.8v battery it felt like I had to tell the plane what to do then it would do it, with 6V I just think it and it happens.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:46 AM
lomcevac540T

Is there a servo that actually fits the throttle hole without modification? I tried an HS-81 and it is too long and too tall.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:46 AM
beachbrada

I just use the wood blocks that come with it and mount it above the fuselage. Use some good thin CA to get it in place then go back with some medium CA to fill any gaps. This also helps out with the throttle control rod going straight across from servo to throttle arm rather than at an angle if the servo is mounted in the fuselage. I have my throttle servo mounted like this on both my Pro Yak and Edge 540 and have no problems with it coming loose.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:53 AM
lomcevac540T

I guess I'll go ahead and do it that way since I have the hs-81 already. Hope to get the maiden on her Saturday. Looks like a pretty well built plane so far.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:35 AM
AFSalmon

I use almost exclusively the Hitec HS85 servo for my throttles. You will find that the HS-81 won't last that long as the potentiometer is not designed for the vibrations of a glow motor. More intended for electrics. It will eventually fail. Use some 1/4" thick scraps of hardwood to space the servo out from the pocket and it won't extend past the left side of the fuse. This is my standard setup now.

Good advice on the wings above guys! If you want a more solid plane then put some glue on the root ribs or at minimal the anti-rotation pins. I still do not glue the wings on even though I never take my plane apart unless I crash it. Then having the abilityto take it apart and fix it in a modular fashion is priceless. Escpecially when you can lay the fuse flat on the table to make repairs.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:45 AM
lomcevac540T

Thanks for the info guys, the weather stunk here all weekend so I never got to try it out. It went together pretty well, wings are tight and plane is solid! Ran a tank of fuel through the OS 55 and I am impressed with this engine. I got the Xoar 13-4 and it seems to be a good combo, but I will be able to tell more after a couple flights. My CG ended up being at the aft of the suggested location, but should be fine.
I may get a HS 85 and change out the throttle before I run into any problems.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:23 PM
lomcevac540T

Put two flights on it yesterday, pretty solid airplane. Motor was rich and trying to break it in, but had plenty of power.
Great airplane!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:56 AM
beachbrada

Cool, I should get a couple flights in this weekend. Hopefully Ill get it completely dialed in, I will try adding more expo on my 3D rates and play with the CG a little.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Ernie Misner

I used a hex-head steel bolt for joining the wings and found that a ball driver will angle it's way in there and tighten that bolt easily.

Ernie
Old 11-17-2009, 08:11 AM
AFSalmon

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

I used a hex-head steel bolt for joining the wings and found that a ball driver will angle it's way in there and tighten that bolt easily.

Ernie
Ernie, good tip!
Old 11-17-2009, 08:19 AM
lomcevac540T

Got a few more flights this weekend. I like it! OS 55 is a great combo with this airplane. The more I fly this plane the more I learn about what it is capable of. Waterfalls, knife edge loops, flat spins, wing tip spins... it will do it all. Great product!
Old 11-18-2009, 07:59 AM
AFSalmon

ORIGINAL: lomcevac540T

Got a few more flights this weekend. I like it! OS 55 is a great combo with this airplane. The more I fly this plane the more I learn about what it is capable of. Waterfalls, knife edge loops, flat spins, wing tip spins... it will do it all. Great product!
Hey thanks Lom! I'm glad you are learning more ninja skilz with the 47 ProYak!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:16 AM
lomcevac540T

Here are a few pics

Old 12-03-2009, 06:08 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

I just received my ProYak today. Ive gotta say I am pleasantly surprised. The covering job is excellent! I was initially going to recover ,out of the box, with the black/yellow Extreme Flight Yak scheme....but Im not even going to bother now. It looks better in person than it does on the website/pictures. I was never a fan of profiles but got this cause it was on sale and had an engine sitting around. Now I cant wait to get it in the air.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.