Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

ARFs?

Old 02-25-2004, 11:27 AM
fasterthanlife
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARFs?

Hey I think this is the first post. cool.

When can we expect the ARFs I'm lookin forward to it. gonna have to get one.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:00 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: ARFs?

Way to go Faster! You win the most dedicated OMP Fan of the day award!

The ARF's are shipping on time. March 1.

What are you putting in yours?
Old 02-25-2004, 12:44 PM
fasterthanlife

I'll have to check them out. Not sure yet. Probally a .46 would that be good? I don't like 4 strokes. 2 stroke all the way.

would this be an ok second plane for someone who has an avistar and can fly it good and do the regular aerobatics? Or should they still go for a 4* or a super sporster or something?

Thanks

Can't wait to see em in action!
Old 02-25-2004, 02:29 PM
STLPilot

Ah, I thought you meant the Big Edge ARF. Sorry we do not have a date yet for the 47" Edge ARF. As with many products coming to OMP ... we are working on it!
Old 02-25-2004, 07:42 PM
IronicRcAv8r

Don't be afraid of building one of these 47" 540's they I think it was easier to build than alot of the ARF from other manufacturers. The fuse is a snap to build -- it builds flat on the bench and the wing is like putting together a snap together model. And if you cover it before assembling it -- it not too hard to get a better covering job than most of the arfs out there.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:56 PM
STLPilot

Or if you want even a faster build, try the Yak. We are shipping now!
Old 02-25-2004, 08:41 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

I know I'm the designer but I did build one of my FF540P planes in 2 evenings, a Saturday, Sunday morning, went to church, and flew it Sunday afternoon. That's basically 22 hours ready to fly.

Mike
Old 02-25-2004, 08:56 PM
ShawnM
My Feedback: (6)

I've got the big Edge ARF ordered. I'm gonna put a BME 44 in mine. How'd that be?? Anyone flown one with the BME?

shawn
Old 02-25-2004, 09:17 PM
STLPilot

Do you actually think that it's going to be under powered?

Make sure you look at the MOAP for custom modifications for bulk mounted engines.

http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/moap
Old 02-25-2004, 09:30 PM
fasterthanlife

yea i did mean the YaK

so what it be an ohk 2nd plane on low rates with an instructor?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2004, 10:00 PM
ShawnM

Underpowered??[8D] hehehe I can't wait to find out!! I'm one step ahead of you on that MOAP. I've been studying those pictures. I chose the BME 'cause it mounts like a glow engine from what I can tell. I don't think that I'll have to do much modifying, but I'll let you know how it fits when I get the plane.

shawn
Old 02-25-2004, 10:06 PM
STLPilot

All of the OMP planes are just as easy to fly as a trainer. However you need to set dual rates and expo.

With a good computer radio you can turn the most stubborn plane into a trainer. You just need to lower the travel distance down to where you are comfortable. I would recommend you get an instructor to set your dual rates for you before you try to fly it. As soon as they lower them down for you, your plane will fly like a trainer. Just every so often let the dual rates out little by little. The more you do, the better you will get! Just be patient.

Also think about getting a simulator unless you already have one. Theres nothing more pleasing then hitting the space bar on each crash versus carrying a busted up plane to your car while your practicing 3D.

What kind of radio do you have?
Old 02-26-2004, 12:20 AM
fasterthanlife

yea well I'm just flyin my avistar right now. i was thinking of a 4*40 or 60 then a 65" yak or a 47" yak I don't know yet.

But if i get that nice of plane i will definetly get a 6exa or hitec eclipse 7

I'll prolly go for a 4* first.

But I'm so mad[>:] I see all these guys doing all this awsome 3D and it makes me wanna do 3D right now.

Thanks guys
Old 02-26-2004, 06:20 AM
STLPilot

I can tell you right now that an OMP Edge is much easier to fly then a 4* 40. I've seen many of 4*'s hit the deck as second airplanes. They are slippery little guys that take a good amount of skill to fly.

Now if you were looking for a 3D trainer that has no bad habits, UCANDO 46. However the only advantage is their ability to land with almost no forward speed because they have a nice thick wing and it's long fuse. However you will outgrow it very quickly as it is a very nimble.

I'd go with the UCANDO over the 4* if you want to wait one more aircraft before you get into an OMP. Also you can use the engine from the UCANDO 46 in the OMP.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:06 AM
Vicster
My Feedback: (8)

RC Redneck- I have flown the 80" 540 with a BME 44. It is great. 3D flying was awsome. Hovering was about 1/3rd throttle and flyout was super. That was the airplane that got me hooked on the big profiles. I have built 3 of them and all are fantastic flyers.
The first had a DA 50, then a OS Twin four-stroke. ( my own )
Be careful in mounting the BME. It does vibrate more than say, a DA 50 or 3W 50.
Try to mount the engineas far back on the mounts as you can, as it will help to absorb the vibration. Balance should not be a problem. If you check the battery hatch modification I did on the MOAP, you can build the CG adjustment into the plane. It is real easy to change CG in a few minutes with that setup.
Hope this helps. Good luck and HAVE FUN!!
Vic M. of AZ
Old 02-26-2004, 03:39 PM
fasterthanlife

thanks stlpilot.

the funny thing is thats exactly what my instuctor said. So I guess I'll go for that but me being just a kid I don't know how much i would like just "throwing away the plane after i outgrow it just to load up another one. But if it bites the dust............ thats a different story
Old 02-26-2004, 04:27 PM
ShawnM

Hey Vic, I was hoping that I made a good choice on the BME. If it helped to inspire you to build the MOAP then that's all I need to hear. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your setup. I've got them printed out so I can do the same things to mine when it gets here.

Uhhh...Is it March 1st yet???[][]Where's that big brown truck when you need it???
Old 02-26-2004, 04:36 PM
STLPilot

Hey Vic have you seen your ad on the forum! Your REALLY famous now.

Dion