Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

os 1.60 and Jerry Smith Tuned pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 07:33 PM
toyman94
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os 1.60 and Jerry Smith Tuned pipe

Is the Jerry Smith tuned pipe a major difference in power output on the 1.60?? With that pipe, is it any harder to tune this very easy to use motor? My experience with tuned pipes with my Hirobo Shuttle heli has proven a very narrow power band. Is this the case with airplane tuned pipes? I would think a narrow power band would be unwanted in this case. I really would like to get the most out of the 1.60 and Edge540P Combo I am building now. So I am really concidering this pipe if there is a major difference. Thanks
Old 03-07-2004, 11:46 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: os 1.60 and Jerry Smith Tuned pipe

Absolutely YES! The Jerry Smith tuned pipe for the OS 160 was designed and tweaked by Jerry exclusively for the GS540P and the OS 160 combo. The stock OS muffler leaves much to be desired and has a habit of coming apart in the air! The Smith pipe is tuned for 3d flying so it delivers great power transition throughout the range. Makes no additional work in tuning the engine - piece of cake. The only real critical thing is where you put the pressure nipple for the tank. Must go on the header flange itself and if you follow Jerry's instructions, you will be vastly rewarded.

Mike
Old 03-07-2004, 07:36 PM
Dave A
My Feedback: (1)

Does additional fuel consumption come with the addition of the pipe? If so, do you need to put a pump on the engine to keep up with the added fuel draw? Or larger fuel line? I usually hear about 18lb of thrust without a pipe. On an 11lb profile plane, I would think that is already good. I wonder how much more thrust you get with the pipe?

Dave
Old 03-07-2004, 07:52 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Well ya live in Beavercreek, home of OMP. Just send AFSalmaon an email that you want to watch it fly sometime. I'm not sure to the answer to your question, Mike will answer you soon enough.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:32 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

No pump required and no additional fuel consumption. Definately the best thing to happen to the OS 1.60 engine.

Mike