Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

Good Fix For Soft Katana 40 Gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 11:34 PM
150flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Fix For Soft Katana 40 Gear

After flying my Katana Profile 40 for the first time, I realized the soft landing gear was going to bend except on the smoothest of landings. I made this simple modification as pictured and the gear has not bent since.

I drilled a hole in the center of each gear just large enough for a push rod to fit through. The hole is located about 2" up the gear from the wheel axle. I then tensioned a fairly firm spring between the two halves of the push rods with bends in the ends of each rod to hook the spring and the gear. The gear still has good landing suspension but will not deflect so far as to permanently bend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40053.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	214437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33085.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	214438  
Old 02-17-2005, 01:57 PM
mdflyer

Default RE: Good Fix For Soft Katana 40 Gear

Hey, thats a good idea. Maybe I will incorporate it on my old alum gear if my Tetherite replacement ever breaks. Also, is that red spinner the one originally supplied by Accel. If so, just wondered what engine/prop you are using.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:12 PM
150flyer

I am using a 14w x 4 with a Saito 72 and it works out great. It easily hovers at half throttle.

Yes it is the stock spinner that comes with the kit.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:32 PM
mdflyer

THANKS

I'm also using the Saito 72, but with a 13-6 on my Kat 40. My son uses the 13-4W on his Kat. You must be good with a Dremel tool. I thought that red spinner's cut -out would be too small for most props without a lot of rework. Yours looks great. Also a good idea using that clip on your vent tube. Now, I'll clip mine that way too. Who says we are not paying attention
Old 02-18-2005, 08:08 PM
150flyer

Yes, that spinner cutting took a while but using the 14w x 4 was well worth the trouble.