Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

Which OMP product?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 07:10 PM
UltimateFlyer120
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which OMP product?

I love profiles and have liberated my Saito 120 off a Ryan. Which of your profiles would be best suited for the weight and power? Ultimate or yak?
Thanks,
Victor
Old 01-27-2005, 10:08 PM
Rumple

Default RE: Which OMP product?

My guess would be the 65" Yak. I'm putting a YS 110 in mine, I think its similar in weight to your Saito. But I think the Saito is too heavy for the Bipe - lets see if Mike from OMP chimes in with a better answer.

Kurt
Old 01-27-2005, 11:18 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Either the Ulty or Yak.

The Ultimate will be about 6.5 lbs and Yak 65" would be about 7.25.

Power would be great for either.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:03 AM
UltimateFlyer120
My Feedback: (5)

I want the Ultimate but I do not want to add 6 oz's in the tail to balance the plane! The reason for the question maybe should have been which should balance without added weight? I guess how you build would also make a difference.
Victor
Old 01-28-2005, 08:54 AM
STLPilot

Well profile planes are much easier to balance then scale or full because of the light weight, a little bit goes a long way. Seeing your avatar you own a profile, so you know what I mean.

Since it's a kit you can built to suit. You can shift the battery towards the tail and even dig out a new home for the RX behind the wing.

If the weight different upfront is 12 oz that does not mean you put 6 ouces on the tail but closer to 3.5 oz, if you even had to do it without battery and weight shift. The CG is not in the center of the plane, it's in front or real close to the leading edge of the bottom wing. That means the CG moment arm is closer to 25% and not 50% from the front of the plane.

But like I said ... weight shift is not usually a problem. We've got guys with BME 50's with switches on the front of the GS Edges which are designed for OS 1.60's, without adding an ounce to the tail. They do it buy moving the tank, rx and battery under or in back of the wing.

D
Old 01-28-2005, 08:57 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Well my opinion is if that engine is on the heavy side I would recommend the 65" yak, either the kit or ARF. The bipe is a little smaller and really intended for the 60-90 engines. If you put a heavy engine on the nose, you'll have to add weight in the back unless you move the battery back and then you will have a heavy wing loaded plane. I don't know the exact specs on the Saito 120 but isn't it the same basic case and guts as the 150 and 180?
Old 01-28-2005, 09:50 AM
STLPilot

A Saito 100 is 20 oz with muffler.

Saito 120 is 28 oz with muffler.

MDS .68 which was used on your plane Mike in the video was 24.75 oz with stock muffler.

So that's only 3.25 oz difference with a lot more power. Plus doesn't the bipe have a longer tail moment then the Yak for easier weight shift?

Heck maybe just a tailwheel with a little bit more guts alone would do it. But moving the battery back just a little behind the spar would also take care of it no prob.